Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 01:15 PM

225 posts, read 211,501 times

Advertisements

Mason,

It's not always classism. In the OP's case we know it's not. So while that's an argument, it's something irrelevant to the OP's situation. I think we're veering off-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 05:47 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Mason,

It's not always classism. In the OP's case we know it's not. So while that's an argument, it's something irrelevant to the OP's situation. I think we're veering off-topic.
The direct answer to the OP's post is this: Other places in the South suburbs to live that are more affordable, yet safe and have a similar racial make-up as Eden Prairie, would be West Bloomington, Shakopee and Burnsville.

Everyone has their own desired level of diversity. It sounds like the sweet spot for the OP is about 10% Blacks, like at Eden Prairie. Some Black folks want to live in predominantly Black neighborhoods. Some in neighborhoods with virtually no other Black people. The OP desires about 10%. Nothing wrong with that. That's their comfort zone. Not judging.

The OP should focus on moving in toward the city, not further away from the city, in places like Victoria, Waconia or Chanhassen, where there are less minorities. That's not to say those areas are less welcoming, but if the litmus test is how much diversity there is (i.e. Black residents/students), then it will feel less welcoming.

West Bloomington is very nice, affordable & their HS, Bloomington Jefferson is right in that sweet spot, also at 10% Black students. Burnsville is more affordable still and has 17% Black students. Shakopee is also on par with 7% Black students and it too, is more affordable than EP, generally speaking.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:25 PM

8,336 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Washington View Post
It's true that many of these 'racist' incidents are fabricated, but, yeah, there are still Caucasians around who do mean things.

You do realize that there are also a lot of African-Americans and Hispanics who are racist towards Caucasians and aren't afraid to act on their hate? You just don't see them in the news because they aren't correctly charged with hate crimes.

I wish people in this thread were open-minded enough to realize that racism isn't solely a Caucasian sin.

There are a few on this thread that I believe feel there is no racism toward Whites and when someone White talks about it they seem to have a problem with them. They don't have a problem with double standards. They are offended by Whites that speak out.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I sort of figured they weren't from here, as much as they were emphasizing crime stats. Not saying that crime doesn't exist in Twin City suburbia but I think it's more likely to be very high on the radar of someone used to life outside of MN.

I see they specialize in segregationist posts and jump in threads on racial topics...no more responses to this one.

Racism against Whites does exist.

You dodged this question: "Really? Which "privileged" people can go into any racist neighborhood where they are guaranteed they won't be treated poorly 'because of their race?"

"Some people don't have the privilege of thinking a racist neighborhood is a non-issue. The OP looks like one of those people. You may not be one of them."

Would you care to answer? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Leona Valley; 12-25-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I see you specialize in bigoted posts. Racism against Whites does exist.
Lulz.

To those who actually read: I did say this thread was entertaining, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
You dodged this question: "Really? Which "privileged" people can go into any racist neighborhood where they are guaranteed they won't be treated poorly because of their race."
You could answer the question yourself by reading the...wait.

When a commenter shows themselves to be dishonest, they don't deserve an honest answer.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Everyone has their own desired level of diversity. It sounds like the sweet spot for the OP is about 10% Blacks, like at Eden Prairie.

The OP should focus on moving in toward the city, not further away from the city, in places like Victoria, Waconia or Chanhassen, where there are less minorities.
I don't know if they do. Did they say that? The OP is open to moving closer to the cities, as they asked for some neighborhoods.

When I read "areas that welcome diversity" I didn't read that as "has a sizeable percentage of non-whites". Just that the residents who are there would be open to people of any background. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Hopefully we didn't scare the OP away so they can come back and answer.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Lulz.

To those who actually read: I did say this thread was entertaining, right?

You could answer the question yourself by reading the...wait.

When a commenter shows themselves to be dishonest, they don't deserve an honest answer.

You used the term. "Some don't have the privilege....."

Some suggest Whites shouldn't fear going into any 'hood because of their race. That we have that privilege. That can be dangerous. Look at the breakdown on hate crime rates on USDOJ, FBISTATS.

Last edited by Leona Valley; 12-25-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 08:52 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
I don't know if they do. Did they say that? The OP is open to moving closer to the cities, as they asked for some neighborhoods.

When I read "areas that welcome diversity" I didn't read that as "has a sizeable percentage of non-whites". Just that the residents who are there would be open to people of any background. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Hopefully we didn't scare the OP away so they can come back and answer.

How on earth could you ever quantify that?

Old 12-27-2018, 09:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
My observation has been almost the exact opposite. Minneapolis as a whole is pretty diverse. However, the individual neighborhoods are quite segregated with only a few exceptions like Whittier in South Minneapolis and Victory in North Minneapolis. I'm not suggesting you would encounter racial hostility in these places, just that they are not integrated.

The average white household in the city of Minneapolis is wealthier than the average white household in the metro, while the average black household in the city is poorer than the average black household in the metro. I'm too lazy to look for them now, but you can easily find statistical/demographic data to verify this claim. I assume this reversal of fortunes is related to the lack of diversity in neighborhoods. Other than in very dense urban areas (more Manhattan than Minneapolis) racially/ethnically diverse neighborhoods tend to be pretty economically homogenous.

I am pretty sure that if my spouse/kids/family were black or biracial that we would not live in Minneapolis. Most inner or second ring suburbs have become reasonably to quite diverse in the last couple decades. Perhaps because of greater economic parity, these suburbs appear to have achieved better integration than Minneapolis.

My lily white neighbors here in Minneapolis love to talk about diversity and complain about their privilege. However, the more I hear them go on about that stuff, the more apparent it is that most of them don't have black/latino/hmong friends, colleagues or peers. I honestly wonder if these people are capable of seeing past their labels and talking points enough to interact with their fellow human beings from different backgrounds in an honest and genuine way.

I don't know how these people got this way and I don't think they made Minneapolis the segregated city it is, but despite what I'm sure they think are good intentions, they're not helping.

Whether it is done by racial supremecist, “enlightened” do-gooders, or sexual perverts, no one likes to be fetishized or objectified due to their race. Being viewed as a token or political cause is just as bad as being viewed as a sexual toy or inferior human, due to one’s race.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
This is a topic where people seem to try too hard to polarize. I think you can probably find a small majority of extreme examples that support each narrative if you go way out of your way but at the end of the day there is probably a smidgeon of institutional racism and privilege....but way less than what pundits on the left would lead you to believe. Most people will judge someone on their character and yeah, there are good people and jerks and degenerates everywhere, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul