Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 12:44 PM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times

Advertisements

Partisans are irrelevant- go with meta studies-

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...dy-racism-jobs

"The researchers deployed a variety of controls to verify their results, from measuring outcomes in different ways to controlling for socioeconomic variables like geography and unemployment rates. But they concluded, “In all models, we see little evidence of a reduction in hiring discrimination against African Americans over time.

One complicating factor may be publication bias. Maybe it’s possible that studies that find no sign of discrimination are simply less likely to be published, since such findings aren’t as shocking. So the researchers sought unpublished studies to include in their analysis. But they found that “[t]heir inclusion did little to affect our estimates.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Partisans are irrelevant- go with meta studies-

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...dy-racism-jobs

"The researchers deployed a variety of controls to verify their results, from measuring outcomes in different ways to controlling for socioeconomic variables like geography and unemployment rates. But they concluded, “In all models, we see little evidence of a reduction in hiring discrimination against African Americans over time.

One complicating factor may be publication bias. Maybe it’s possible that studies that find no sign of discrimination are simply less likely to be published, since such findings aren’t as shocking. So the researchers sought unpublished studies to include in their analysis. But they found that “[t]heir inclusion did little to affect our estimates.”
One thing I’d like to point out when it comes to callbacks for job applicants is going forward alot of that is being automated and replaced with computer algorithms. This will eliminate the possibility of recruiter bias based on applicant name.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:54 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
One thing I’d like to point out when it comes to callbacks for job applicants is going forward alot of that is being automated and replaced with computer algorithms. This will eliminate the possibility of recruiter bias based on applicant name.
They can just code the program to select for certain names. I think having a computer increases the likelihood of discrimination yet decreases a company's liability. You can't claim an "unbiased" computer discriminated against you, and too bad for you that you don't know the background of the coder....

Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
They can just code the program to select for certain names. I think having a computer increases the likelihood of discrimination yet decreases a company's liability. You can't claim an "unbiased" computer discriminated against you, and too bad for you that you don't know the background of the coder....
That would defeat the entire premise of the technology. Your comment is very Alex Jonesesque.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:53 PM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Perhaps, though that is only one step of the hiring process and I highly doubt companies will ever rely entirely on an algorithm for the whole thing. In any case the importance of the article is that it points out that the data show a significant racial preference at play in the real world.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Would it? You're not looking at it from the perspective of the employer. There always has been, and there always will be discrimination in employment. The objective data shows this. There are countless stories where people have submitted the exact same resume with only a difference in the name, and I'll let you guess which applicants are normally put in the "reject" pile.

It is already difficult to prove discrimination. This just makes it harder. I don't care either way. I happen to believe that what's meant for you is meant for you and no human being can stop it. Employers shouldn't even need a computer to help them get this right. Humans will be humans.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Would it? You're not looking at it from the perspective of the employer. There always has been, and there always will be discrimination in employment. The objective data shows this. There are countless stories where people have submitted the exact same resume with only a difference in the name, and I'll let you guess which applicants are normally put in the "reject" pile.

It is already difficult to prove discrimination. This just makes it harder. I don't care either way. I happen to believe that what's meant for you is meant for you and no human being can stop it. Employers shouldn't even need a computer to help them get this right. Humans will be humans.
The technology provides employers with two principal benefits, assuming it is working correctly:

-ensures that objective measures are used to find the most qualified candidates for a respective open position.
-the selection algorithm is objective and non-discrimintory in it’s method, which helps to mitigate legal risk.

Usually this narrows down a list of applicants to a final list which would then be interviewed by the hiring manager and/or leadership team where the final hiring decision would be made. It is possible that discrimination could occur at the final selection stage but it would be counter-productive for an employer to do that...after all the end goal is to select the most qualified candidate possible.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:00 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
How on earth could you ever quantify that?
You don't quantify it, and the term "thoughts" in the title to me suggested the OP wasn't looking for quantities.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
You don't quantify it, and the term "thoughts" in the title to me suggested the OP wasn't looking for quantities.

Factoring their desire for "diversity", the fact that they identify as Black, and that they feel very comfortable in a school that's 10% Black. My three offerings seem pretty reasonable. Could be you're just an argumentative person?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Factoring their desire for "diversity", the fact that they identify as Black, and that they feel very comfortable in a school that's 10% Black. My three offerings seem pretty reasonable. Could be you're just an argumentative person?
You asked for clarification and I gave it...Rarely am I arguing with anyone here. My initial comment was simply giving my perspective on what the OP was asking for.

Anyway, until or if the OP returns I think about I'm about done here. This thread has been a learning experience, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul