Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,111,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrrrl View Post
What is missing in Minnesota? I'm a native, have traveled, but don't understand what is so magical about "west" or "east" that doesn't happen here? Looking for friends, love, a social scene? How does this drop into your lap supposedly everywhere but MN?

Enlighten me... I've heard this many a time before, seems to be a favorite armchair activity of those who've relocated actually. Trying hard to not be defensive - I really don't get it.
It's not that there's anything magical. It's a matter of what you want to do.

Just for example, a lot of people I know who are ideally suited to Minnesota have lived here forever. All their friends and family are here. They love cold weather and things like hunting, fishing, and snowmobiling. They don't even notice the bugs in the summer. They all want a cabin. Everything they want to do is right here.

I'm not suited to life here. Winters are too long and miserable for me and all I want to do is hibernate. I don't fish, hunt, or snowmobile. The bugs eat me alive in the summer. I don't want a cabin that forces me to maintain 2 homes. I have enough yard and housework as it is! I am not the ideal Minnesotan. Most of the things I like to do are not available here.

There's nothing wrong with Minnesota. It's just not right for me! I wouldn't know that if I hadn't lived in other places! It's sort of like wondering what you would look like as a redhead. You don't know for sure till you try it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 01:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,432,663 times
There are some things in Minnesota people take for granted. I have a friend who moved out to DC after college. He's lived there now for 2 1/2 years. He was in town recently and I asked him how he likes it in DC. He told me he's actually looking forward to getting out of there. I guess people in DC are tightly wound compared to people in Minnesota. Who would've thunk it. Minnesota people are pretty chill though I guess.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:47 PM

56 posts, read 224,234 times
Hi, I lived in Minnesota for many years. I also lived in many different states. Minnesota is by far the friendliest place I ever lived. It is a melting pot of people of various races and cultures. The Lake Calhoun area is probably the kind of place you would enjoy.Edina is also another area to consider. It is close enough to downtown and the airport to be advantageous to you.And it has higher quality of living. The area does get cold for 2 weeks every January,you can count on it. Just be smart and plan your vacation time to coincide with the cold.And go somewhere warm. I feel if you want a place to go where you will be unconditionally accepted and be around genuinely nice people then ,it would be a great place for you to be. Good Luck Rhea

Old 12-27-2006, 01:13 PM

25 posts, read 109,921 times
Hi Skibunny -- I don't have any words of advice about housing for you, but as a single gal concerned about making friends, I would recommend joining the Junior League. I am a member here in Western MA and will be transferring to the Minneapolis chapter when I move to MN this summer. In case you are not familiar with the JL, it is a women's service organization. Lots of different volunteer opportunities, and the folks I've met are really very nice. There is a Minneapolis chapter and a St. Paul chapter that I'm aware of. I would post a link here if I knew how, LOL.

Best,
Connor

Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 109,921 times
PS -- as for convincing you that you will love it, you will! I was very hesitant about the idea myself, but really, the twin cities have a TON of wonderful things going on. With a little effort you should be able to have an exciting and full professional and social life.

Best,
Connor

Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 105,128 times
I have a suspicion that your idea of a lake is one in the heart of the country. I think once you see the Minneapolis Lakes you'll be pleasantly surprised! It's not so much about being on the lake as it is being "at" the lake. Minneapolis Lakes draw many active individuals from teens to retirees. You'll find it hard to navigate your way around the lake path in the summer with all the walkers, runners, rollerbladers, bikers and the like. Lake Harriett offers a Pavillion where many live outdoor concerts are held in the summer months. Within walking distance of the popular Minneapolis Lakes (Harriett, Calhoun & Lake of the Isles) is Uptown Minneapolis. You'll find everything you need there, restaurants, movie theaters, shops, YMCA, night life. Minneapolis is a great place to be and with your housing budget I doubt you'll have any trouble finding a home...especially considering the slow housing market!
Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM

433 posts, read 2,359,934 times
Sounds like you should check out Harriet/Calhoun/Isles/Cedar areas.

Get yourself a Mary Tyler Moore type house in Kenwood and rent some rooms/units. Or you rent in one of those large, stately homes. You will meet some nice people. You can check out 50th and France as well as the west side of Lake Harriet. Uptown is still nice but not even close to the glory years when I lived there in the 80's. You will love walking your dogs around the lakes.

Maybe there is something for you around St Anthony-Main/Downtown? I haven't been over there in years. I think they built some high rise luxury condos etc. since I lived in Mpls.

You are seeing Mpls during the worst part of the year. It looks much better during the summer season. The city is no where near as nice as it was in the 70's and 80's in my opinion. That's why I left and moved to California. I couldn't stand watching my favorite city falling down. If you are ultra-liberal you will feel right at home in Minneapolis. I was the token Republican in my neighborhood there.

You will find some skiing in Minnesota. Not like Colorado, of course. I don't even know if Afton Alps is still in business on the St. Croix River. Lutsen near Lake Superior is pretty good though.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 21,205 times
"Get yourself a Mary Tyler Moore type house in Kenwood and rent some rooms/units."

I've lived here all my life and the only reason I would leave is because of winter, but still haven't...

THE MARY TYLET MOORE HOUSE IS FOR SALE!!!!

Afton Alps is still there, BTW.
You don't have to be a "lake person" to enjoy the lakes, like everyone is saying. It's a gathering place of sorts in the summer for outdoor activities. As far as housing goes, I think you would be right at home in the Kenwood or Linden Hills neighborhoods.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:07 PM

17 posts, read 71,542 times
I grew up on the Kenwood neighborhood, two blocks from the Mary Tyler Moore house. I haven't been there since visiting last July, but at the time it was being remodeled.

If by "lake person" you are thinking of someone who likes to fish, swim, and canoe, you certainly don't need to be one to enjoy the lakes. There are 22 lakes within the Minneapolis city limits and almost all are connected by trails. You can walk, roller skate, or bike from one end of the city to the other without ever leaving a city trail.

For most Minnesotans, going "up to the lake," living "on the lake," or just being near a lake is part of their blood. It's an identity and a lifestyle. While many love MN for recreation, it is rather cold for half the year to really enjoy the outdoors, so I'd wager that for some people, lakes are just as important for their beauty and calming effect as for the activities they offer. Being near one certainly doesn't hurt in house appreciation, either.

If you choose the Kenwood/Isles area you will be no more than 4 blocks from a lake. Any time it's "warm" (which for MN is anything above 40 degrees), everyone heads for the city lake trails. One the first day of nice weather in the spring (65-70 degrees), virtually everyone in town takes the day off and heads outdoors. Summertime is great for people-watching.

With your housing budget, you can choose almost anywhere in town you want (except for large lots on Lake Minnetonka in the western suburbs). MN does have a higher cost of living than other midwestern states, and the taxes are high (4th highest burden in the nation), but with the opportunity you have, you can easliy find your perfect place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul