U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 PM

5,798 posts, read 6,391,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I re-read my post and you are right, it was gibberish. It's kind of like "the meaning of is is". lol I put in the definitions because a guy on the street (maybe a Twins fan) hasn't heard of other references. In one such example, here is a definition that isn't exactly mainstream https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
I think I know what you’re trying to say and I think it’s been an interesting exchange.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,896,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Detroit has been run by Democrats since 1962. Speaking of lost causes.....

You're right. And it shows that corruption is confined neither to the left nor right. The success of Minneapolis is it's relative (to most other cities) transparency of governance. And as long as that transparence is maintained, it doesn't matter which party is in charge.

As the motto of the Washington Post says "Democracy Dies in Darkness."

Old 03-12-2019, 06:06 AM

9,918 posts, read 9,354,102 times
use this Map to dill down and see how liberal Minnesota really is....All the way to district areas....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...1/42.09/-95.19

Old 03-15-2019, 11:43 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,441,259 times
That map isn't really the best indicator for how "liberal" a place is. For instance, a lot of Bernie Sanders supporters decided not to vote in the 2016 election because Clinton was seen as a flawed, center-right candidate and not progressive enough.

Clinton did better in more blue collar, working-class cities than she did in more white collar, stereotypically "liberal" places. Look at Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia....all the deepest blue there is on the map.

Also, keep in mind that while Minnesota may look red based on that map, almost all of the state's population is in blue areas. A lot of people might misinterpret this due to lack of understanding of population density.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:23 PM

3,470 posts, read 1,171,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Also, keep in mind that while Minnesota may look red based on that map, almost all of the state's population is in blue areas. A lot of people might misinterpret this due to lack of understanding of population density.
While that map is excellent, informative, and useful, you are correct.

For example, Minnesota's 8th Congressional district occupies more than a third of the state (most of the western half). It is 52x the size of Hennepin County, yet Hennepin County has more than 1.2 million people to fewer than 700k in MN-8.

Of course, people - not acres - vote.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:41 PM

5,798 posts, read 6,391,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

For example, Minnesota's 8th Congressional district occupies more than a third of the state (most of the western half). It is 52x the size of Hennepin County, yet Hennepin County has more than 1.2 million people to fewer than 700k in MN-8.

Most people know that the Twin Cities are more densely populated than the Arrowhead. (Do you need something to help you understand that Chicago is more densely populated than southern Illinois or is that something you already understood?)

The purpose of this map is to show the political affiliation of a specific geographic area, not to show the political balance overall in a whole state. You are criticizing the map for being ineffective in showing something it wasn’t intended to show.

In that way, the previous poster was correct in saying this map isn’t the best tool to show how liberal Minnesota is or isn’t, but it does answer the original question of “how liberal is Minneapolis?”

Last edited by Glenfield; 03-16-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 371 times
Funny enough, we’re looking at relocating TO Minneapolis because it’s a liberal city! I think wherever you have a large university in a state capital you’re going to find a liberal, educated population. I encountered some homeless people in downtown MSP and a few were aggressive but not in a threatening way - actually overly friendly and walked about a block with us, chatting us up and asking where we were from, etc. we lived in SW Las Vegas for 7 years in the early 2000’s and MSP is definitely more liberal than Vegas!

Old 03-21-2019, 12:01 AM

482 posts, read 297,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girla520 View Post
Funny enough, we’re looking at relocating TO Minneapolis because it’s a liberal city! I think wherever you have a large university in a state capital you’re going to find a liberal, educated population. I encountered some homeless people in downtown MSP and a few were aggressive but not in a threatening way - actually overly friendly and walked about a block with us, chatting us up and asking where we were from, etc. we lived in SW Las Vegas for 7 years in the early 2000’s and MSP is definitely more liberal than Vegas!
That perfectly describes Madison, Wisconsin!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:26 AM

1,082 posts, read 673,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girla520 View Post
Minneapolis isn’t the state capitol...although, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities does spill into St. Paul.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 AM

1,082 posts, read 673,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

8th district is the Northeast chunk, not west. It has historically been blue due to Union miners and Duluth, but only recently turned red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul