Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Your summary is way off. Actually, digital and electronic media have taken over. The barriers to entry for digital media is far less $$$. So there are literally hundreds of new competitors. Plus, the market has spoken. People want to read their "teams view" versus a balanced approach. So pretty much any news station that simply reports the news has a small following. The people who are talking the loudest are a bunch of angry people stuck inside of their specific camp; accusing the other side of being biased. i.e. "fake news" etc.
Kavalier's summary is spot on as to the traditional news sources. They're liberal shells of the honest news reporters that they used to be. Your post is spot on as well. You're both in agreement, except you've expanded on what is a MAJOR problem in this country. Both side's reporting is so slanted that you're almost required to channel flip to figure out what the real truth of a matter might be. I don't know if there's a solution to repairing this anymore. Too much money to be had by preaching to their bases.

The closest you can get to unbiased news is actually the BBC. They don't have a dog in the hunt and generally just simply report what's occurring, without all the editorial rhetoric.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Your summary is way off. Actually, digital and electronic media have taken over. The barriers to entry for digital media is far less $$$. So there are literally hundreds of new competitors. Plus, the market has spoken. People want to read their "teams view" versus a balanced approach. So pretty much any news station that simply reports the news has a small following. The people who are talking the loudest are a bunch of angry people stuck inside of their specific camp; accusing the other side of being biased. i.e. "fake news" etc.
No. I'll give a perfect example - I could choose hundreds, but here is one.

MAGA - CNN and MSNBC (ABC, NBC, CBS) have called the MAGA slogan "racist" so many times that it has pretty much become a truth, to much of the population. And now, if you wear a MAGA Hat 8n many places you are subject to hatred of all sorts. That is by definition fake news (that has become a truth, because of the aforementioned dishonest "media" outlets).

Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 AM

871 posts, read 1,088,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

MAGA - CNN and MSNBC (ABC, NBC, CBS) have called the MAGA slogan "racist" so many times that it has pretty much become a truth, to much of the population. And now, if you wear a MAGA Hat 8n many places you are subject to hatred of all sorts. That is by definition fake news (that has become a truth, because of the aforementioned dishonest "media" outlets).
Whether MAGA is racist or not is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 AM

It's an "opinion" that has been reported so often by the aforementioned outlets that they are to blame for it.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
It's an "opinion" that has been reported so often by the aforementioned outlets that they are to blame for it.
It's a reasonable opinion to any intelligent adult who observes the actions and rhetoric of the MAGA movement.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM

It's only a reasonable opinion to fascists.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Kavalier's summary is spot on as to the traditional news sources. They're liberal shells of the honest news reporters that they used to be. Your post is spot on as well. You're both in agreement, except you've expanded on what is a MAJOR problem in this country. Both side's reporting is so slanted that you're almost required to channel flip to figure out what the real truth of a matter might be. I don't know if there's a solution to repairing this anymore. Too much money to be had by preaching to their bases.

The closest you can get to unbiased news is actually the BBC. They don't have a dog in the hunt and generally just simply report what's occurring, without all the editorial rhetoric.
He explained why they are dying and he was way off. They are dying because of what I stated. Just because they are biased (and most news here in the State are) doesn't mean that is why they are not doing well.

The next paradigm shift is with "cable". People are cutting the cord at record levels. Therefore I don't watch Fox or CNN or CNBC for one very key reason; I don't have cable since late 2018. It's a matter of time before "cable" is dead. People are shifting to online like CNN.com and FOX.com. Cable news ratings has more to do with the personalities (hence the massive contracts) versus the content. After all, about 1/2 of Americans are in each party.

Furthermore, it should come as no surprise that CNN.com is ranked #28 in the USA (see https://www.similarweb.com/website/cnn.com ) and foxnews.com is ranked #27 (see https://www.similarweb.com/website/foxnews.com ). i.e., the same amount of eyeballs are staring at their camps bias. So no, the Strib isn't dying because people don't like their bias. They are dying because of competition; print is dead and as a bonus, local news is less relevant. Hence he is wrong.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:

If you don't understand why there is a perception of racism with much of what Trump represents, then it is wasted words. If I'm being honest, your posts are part of the problem with that very perception. So we are clear, I've never voted for a democrat in my life. I'm just calling it the way I see it.

I agree with several of Trumps viewpoints. But in nearly every case, I don't agree how he goes about it. Simply put, he isn't a very good person.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
He explained why they are dying and he was way off. They are dying because of what I stated. Just because they are biased (and most news here in the State are) doesn't mean that is why they are not doing well.

The next paradigm shift is with "cable". People are cutting the cord at record levels. Therefore I don't watch Fox or CNN or CNBC for one very key reason; I don't have cable since late 2018. It's a matter of time before "cable" is dead. People are shifting to online like CNN.com and FOX.com. Cable news ratings has more to do with the personalities (hence the massive contracts) versus the content. After all, about 1/2 of Americans are in each party.

Furthermore, it should come as no surprise that CNN.com is ranked #28 in the USA (see https://www.similarweb.com/website/cnn.com ) and foxnews.com is ranked #27 (see https://www.similarweb.com/website/foxnews.com ). i.e., the same amount of eyeballs are staring at their camps bias. So no, the Strib isn't dying because people don't like their bias. They are dying because of competition; print is dead and as a bonus, local news is less relevant. Hence he is wrong.
No...that's entirely right. No argument there.

But a segment of the population (you just said about 1/2 is in either) has gotten tired of the propaganda daily. If you want to agree to disagree on that, fine. Either way I am glad PP and Strip are almost toast. Serves them right.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
It's only a reasonable opinion to fascists.
This wasn't very convincing. Maybe you should try quoting David Duke again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul