Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM

296 posts, read 435,394 times

Advertisements

Gee, the grass looked so much greener when I used to come to MSP for holidays to visit family (often 3-4 times a year, and in different seasons too). I used to love sitting at caribou with a hot cup of coffee and bagels to go with.

But fast-forward to 2019, and I think I made not a wise move. I'm yearning to return back to Atlanta. And the biggest draw isn't the weather. I love winter, generally speaking. Its the driving (and parking) etiquette here in MSP. In my experience, Atlanta, despite the number of roads on the car and some fast driving crazies, it still better behaved and smoother in traffic than MSP. I had never, in the years I spent in Atlanta, been furious at merging lanes that came out of nowhere without warning, and then merged right before an exit ,and then folks tailed you all the way until the exit, despite plenty of space besides you to overtake you if they were in such a rush. And despite snowy season, people continue to drive over speed limits and tailing you to their heart's desire. The driver demographics have included all genders and ages alike. Parking skills are seriously lacking.

What the ? Before moving here I had noticed plenty of brand new senior living places popping up (as opposed to in Atlanta, where it was mostly residential development) and I was under the impression that the traffic would be better behaved.

I'm sorry MN - I'm less than impressed. And in the two or so months I've been here, I've made up my mind. I'll be exiting out in 2019, elsewhere (most likely returning back to Atlanta).

Well, had to share the thought/perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,655,252 times
Atlanta has the fourth worst traffic in the US while the Twin Cities are not in the top ten. Maybe you have a tendency to idealize your memories of things. That seems to be how you ended up here in the first place.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...traffic-2018-2

Old 02-02-2019, 02:34 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,515 times
Sorry you have had this experience. I’ve lived in several large cities and every place has its ‘local bad habits’. We are terrible at merging. I haven’t noticed aggressive driving or tailgating here.

But this seems like a weird reason to leave somewhere you otherwise like.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 PM

225 posts, read 209,311 times
I was in Atlanta for years before I moved here. Even if I decided to leave here it would never be to return to Atlanta. I'm honestly trying to think of a single thing I like about Atlanta more than I like about here and it's not coming to me. It's just not my cup of tea. Different strokes.

Anyway, you want to move back solely because of the way people drive? I don't know, I'd need a more compelling reason, or several reasons, to leave a city. There are some rather interesting drivers here, it's true, but Atlanta's transportation isn't its strong point so I'm surprised that would be a reason someone would want to be there.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:05 PM

254 posts, read 454,498 times
I moved here from Dallas. Dallas has worse traffic, but Dallas has better roads. The roads in Minneapolis are horrible. Merge right before an exit where you have only a few car links to get over, roads merge into traffic with no dedicated lane, lane markers are almost always worn off the road. Not enough overpasses, metering is almost always at the wrong pace, and yes-- drivers do not know how to merge, and they tailgate like crazy instead of passing.

Completely agree with the OP.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:12 PM

225 posts, read 209,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
I moved here from Dallas. Dallas has worse traffic, but Dallas has better roads.
Okay, I knew there had to be something. Atlanta does have better roads.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:20 PM

6,402 posts, read 6,926,843 times
Atlanta doesn’t have the freeze thaw we do. Though, WI seems to invest in better built roads.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:23 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,624,534 times
I recently made the reverse move, and while my goal is not to compare the two cities overall in this thread, I do share your view that the drivers are better in Atlanta. Faster.....yes, but better etiquette as well. MN seemed to have slow drivers in the left lane, and more passive aggressive drivers not willing to let you in. Given the roads are more treacherous to drive here, people seem to work together more. Vs. MN where it's flat and wide, ATL has lots of tricky exits and blind driveways, people are very quick to stop and let you into traffic here.

The roads are also much better quality in ATL, mostly for obvious weather related reasons.

That said, are you basing your desire to want to move back based solely on the driver's? You're still in the "holy crap everything in my life is different and out of my comfort zone" period of your move, it's too soon to evaluate moving back just yet.

They do have Caribou coffees here, albeit very few, but I occasionally visit the one in Buckhead when I need a taste of home.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:43 PM

2,836 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
Gee, the grass looked so much greener when I used to come to MSP for holidays to visit family (often 3-4 times a year, and in different seasons too). I used to love sitting at caribou with a hot cup of coffee and bagels to go with.

But fast-forward to 2019, and I think I made not a wise move. I'm yearning to return back to Atlanta. And the biggest draw isn't the weather. I love winter, generally speaking. Its the driving (and parking) etiquette here in MSP. In my experience, Atlanta, despite the number of roads on the car and some fast driving crazies, it still better behaved and smoother in traffic than MSP. I had never, in the years I spent in Atlanta, been furious at merging lanes that came out of nowhere without warning, and then merged right before an exit ,and then folks tailed you all the way until the exit, despite plenty of space besides you to overtake you if they were in such a rush. And despite snowy season, people continue to drive over speed limits and tailing you to their heart's desire. The driver demographics have included all genders and ages alike. Parking skills are seriously lacking.

What the ? Before moving here I had noticed plenty of brand new senior living places popping up (as opposed to in Atlanta, where it was mostly residential development) and I was under the impression that the traffic would be better behaved.

I'm sorry MN - I'm less than impressed. And in the two or so months I've been here, I've made up my mind. I'll be exiting out in 2019, elsewhere (most likely returning back to Atlanta).

Well, had to share the thought/perspective.
ok

it's a bit of a leap to connect senior living developments with better "behaved" drivers. i'm not sure why you think that's true or why you would assume, if true, that seniors are a majority of the drivers. florida must be heaven on earth if this theory holds

Old 02-02-2019, 04:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,124,167 times
OP, live where you are happy. I've relocated as well, and found my way back to that happy place, no worse for the experience. Blessings to you wherever your journeys take you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul