Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,691 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are looking to move, and have the following dream criteria for our new Minneapolis or St. Paul neighborhood, in no particular order:

1. Homes from 1940s or older, as we love architectural interest
2. Price range 250-300K
3. Home from 1500-2000 sq ft
4. Neighborhood with a great deal of pride in home upkeep
5. Neighbors that care about each other and their community
6. Yard big enough for our little dog (Can't be all used by garage and driveway)
7. Cool stuff within walking distance (bookshops, coffee shops, parks, etc.)
8. Diversity and integration beyond the usual tolerance and politeness- people in the neighborhood are friends with people from cultures other than their own, both kids and adults, when you walk into a local restaurant, there are usually minority customers as well as white customers) Just like Mom always said there should be lots of color on your dinner plate for a balanced diet. I'd like to see different cultures, races and ethnicities enjoying each other's company in my neighborhood for a rich life.
9. Crime not above minor nuisance level

Where comes to mind?? I'm very interested in your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,759,688 times
look into Northrup

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zennenn View Post
Hi, my husband and I are looking to move, and have the following dream criteria for our new Minneapolis or St. Paul neighborhood, in no particular order:

1. Homes from 1940s or older, as we love architectural interest
2. Price range 250-300K
3. Home from 1500-2000 sq ft
4. Neighborhood with a great deal of pride in home upkeep
5. Neighbors that care about each other and their community
6. Yard big enough for our little dog (Can't be all used by garage and driveway)
7. Cool stuff within walking distance (bookshops, coffee shops, parks, etc.)
8. Diversity and integration beyond the usual tolerance and politeness- people in the neighborhood are friends with people from cultures other than their own, both kids and adults, when you walk into a local restaurant, there are usually minority customers as well as white customers) Just like Mom always said there should be lots of color on your dinner plate for a balanced diet. I'd like to see different cultures, races and ethnicities enjoying each other's company in my neighborhood for a rich life.
9. Crime not above minor nuisance level

Where comes to mind?? I'm very interested in your replies.
Have you read any posts about Camden neighborhoods? A couple neighborhood comes to mind when reading your post - my neighborhood, the Victory neighborhood, fits most of your criteria (although anywhere in MN I think it's hard to get away from the 'usual politeness' and there's more a diversity of "American-born" cultures here - it's primarily white and african-american with some Hmong and Hispanic residents, otherwise the only absence might be the bookshop. Other Camden neighborhoods might fit the bill for what you are looking for, and from what we can tell the schools are great up here and similarly very diverse. You might also want to check into the Seward neighborhood in S. Mpls - although I can't speak to their racial harmony, it seems to be pretty diverse place with representation of many cultures - not sure how crime is there though.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Seward is pretty safe.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I feel you are describing most of the middle class areas of the City. Esp. Nokomis, Northeast, parts of North, Kenny and the parts of Southwest that are less expensive. Powderhorn is a little edgeier; but the neighborhood is more closely knit because of it. I haven't even got into Saint Paul. Anyways, that describes alot of the City neighborhoods.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM

34 posts, read 133,363 times
I agree with the recommendations of Seward and Camden in Minneapolis, particularly the former. Lots of cool, diverse culture there; the business strip along Franklin has a lot of what you're looking for. If you're interested in particularly unique architecture in this area, check out Milwaukee Avenue, a few-block long street of small turn-of-the-century brick houses built for railroad workers--and made into a pedestrian-only street with plenty of grass, plants, and flowers!! Really a sweet surprise in the inner city.

In Saint Paul, the neighborhoods adjacent to Grand Avenue would probably be very suitable for you; the farther west you go, you'll find fewer homogenous yuppie-type culture (and costly homes to go with it) and more independent, diverse culture (and smaller, more affordable homes--in your price range). I'd suggest looking in Merriam Park; parts of that neighborhood are a short walk not only from the shops, restaurants, etc. of Grand, but also from a sweet little business district along Selby near Fairview, a wonderful branch library, and another commercial area (a little grittier, perhaps) along Snelling. Plenty of coffee shops within walking distance of much of this neighborhood, green space, well-maintained homes, active neighbors' associations (last I was aware...), really everything that you cited as important. Check it out!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM

Those houses on Milwaukee Ave are awesome, but they're really pricey when they sell. Usually $300k minimum

Old 04-11-2008, 06:10 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
The city of St. Anthony and the Windom, Audubon, and Waite Park areas of Northeast Minneapolis are some of the nicest areas around Minneapolis that fit your wish list. Nothing super-pretentious, but practical and well-kept homes around there.

Also, the south-east-most portion of Columbia Heights, near Silver Lake, is worth a look, but they're not quite as "city-like" as the aforementioned. Stinson + Columbia Heights == house on the lake though, so that's some incredible property right in town, if you can score it for your price. (The thing about Columbia Heights though: no sidewalks, so not much of a city/community feel.)

Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Thank you

I really appreciate all your input. It is surprisingly harder than you think to get what we're looking for and stay below/around 300. I love the idea of Merriam Park and SW Mpls, and Seward, but the blocks we can afford have garages that are disintegrating and several houses on each block that look anywhere from uncared for to completely neglected. We have really enjoyed looking around NE Mpls, and are still thinking it's a great place, and we'll check out Northrup and Victory. We're not giving up on the other great spots you've mentioned! You're right, they've all got great things going for them.

I think we're a little touchy since we've lived across from a trash house for years and we're done. We really need to be on a block where it looks like everyone cares enough to pick up the trash in their yard and keep up their home.

Thank you and keep the ideas coming if you have any more!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Addition . . .

Our high criteria for home care is only for those that are inhabited - if it's got a foreclosure notice on it, we understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul