Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call it today?
Lake Bde Maka Ska 10 25.64%
Lake Calhoun 29 74.36%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 AM

37 posts, read 29,668 times

Advertisements

The signs are up all around the lake and now it is officially Lake Bde Maka Ska vs Lake Calhoun!

What do you call the lake with your family and friends? What did you think of the change? Can you pronounce the new name?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:50 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,993,208 times
I used to live two blocks from this lake, and when I talk about it to people nowadays, I say, "'Bde Maka Ska,' the lake formerly known as 'Calhoun.'" And yes, I can pronounce it.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,158,293 times
I wish the new name was easier to say. I call it "the lake that used to be Calhoun".
Other than that I really don't care that it was renamed. If it make some feel better about the new name fine with me. Calhoun had no connection to Minnesota and was never even here.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,975,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recently laid off View Post
The signs are up all around the lake and now it is officially Lake Bde Maka Ska vs Lake Calhoun!

What do you call the lake with your family and friends? What did you think of the change? Can you pronounce the new name?
Wiki shows this change happened in 2015 (I didnt know it). Wiki also states that the name change was due to the Charleston church shooting. Why?

I dont have a problem with reverting to an older, original name myself, but the motivations seem odd.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,332,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Wiki shows this change happened in 2015 (I didnt know it). Wiki also states that the name change was due to the Charleston church shooting. Why?

I dont have a problem with reverting to an older, original name myself, but the motivations seem odd.
The Charleston church shooter was a white supremisist who had a deep hatred for Black Americans. If you read about John C Calhoun, you’ll see that was a very strong defender and advocate for slavery. It makes sense to me that folks would question why one of most attractive features of Minneapolis would be named for such a person.
I’m not super-crazy about the replacement name but I’m getting used to it.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,308,799 times
The historical significance of Lake Calhoun is this: In 1817, surveyors sent by Secretary of War Calhoun to map the area around Fort Snelling named the largest lake in what became Minneapolis, Minnesota, for him.

The naming of the lake had nothing to do with his views on slavery.

I tend to not be a fan of attempts to erase history, even the darker moments, and did not advocate for changing the lake’s name when it came up for debate....but I’m not particularly heart-burned by this name change since we sort of “double-downed” on history by going back even further to the Native American name....so yeah, we’ve slowly been adopting the new name.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:01 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,410,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
The Charleston church shooter was a white supremisist who had a deep hatred for Black Americans. If you read about John C Calhoun, you’ll see that was a very strong defender and advocate for slavery. It makes sense to me that folks would question why one of most attractive features of Minneapolis would be named for such a person.
I’m not super-crazy about the replacement name but I’m getting used to it.
If you want to get into it, the Dakota were no angels themselves throughout their history. Wicosawan and Pawnee ring a bell? Lincoln - eventually the great champion of abolitionists by way of emancipation - wasn't the kind of guy who'd hang people for doing nothing. The Dakota were notorious for raping and killing women & children.......so knowing that do we need to rename the lake AGAIN? By the way, Secretary Calhoun also authorized the construction of Fort Snelling.....so I guess that has to be changed, too.

Truth is you could dig up enough on most people to prevent naming something after them if you were willing to put the effort into it. This bde maka ska thing is just another vain, self righteous ploy by Minneapolis to make itself look "progressive".....an effort of course which is always bolstered by the vilifying as many white people as possible.....particularly deceased historical figures who aren't around to defend themselves.

Some deranged kid down south shoots up a church and so of course changing the name of a lake in Minneapolis is in order for penance. Makes perfect sense.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:38 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,672,832 times
I am not sure why we chose a Dakota name since this was Cheyenne territory until they were forced out in the early 1700s by the Dakota, who were themselves being pushed west by the Ojibway. There was a lot more fluidity to who lived where before the Europeans brought the construct of people being tied to a specific geographic area.

And I think that in honor of Prince we should all refer to it as The Lake Formerly Known as Calhoun.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:52 AM

4,841 posts, read 6,856,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
If you want to get into it, the Dakota were no angels themselves throughout their history. Wicosawan and Pawnee ring a bell? Lincoln - eventually the great champion of abolitionists by way of emancipation - wasn't the kind of guy who'd hang people for doing nothing. The Dakota were notorious for raping and killing women & children.......so knowing that do we need to rename the lake AGAIN? By the way, Secretary Calhoun also authorized the construction of Fort Snelling.....so I guess that has to be changed, too.

Truth is you could dig up enough on most people to prevent naming something after them if you were willing to put the effort into it. This bde maka ska thing is just another vain, self righteous ploy by Minneapolis to make itself look "progressive".....an effort of course which is always bolstered by the vilifying as many white people as possible.....particularly deceased historical figures who aren't around to defend themselves.

Some deranged kid down south shoots up a church and so of course changing the name of a lake in Minneapolis is in order for penance. Makes perfect sense.
Good Post. The Sioux indians historically were not very well liked by the other tribes for good reason. I believe the word Sioux was actually derogatory and meant "snake" as given by the Chippewas.

We need to stop trying to erase history. It is what it is.

Incidentally, the tallest peak east of the Rockies is in the SD Black Hills and was named Harney Peak until a couple years ago when the Federal Government renamed it Black Elk Peak. Our governor gave in and allowed the change after first rejecting it. To almost all of us, it's still Harney Peak.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM

4,841 posts, read 6,856,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenfield View Post
i am not sure why we chose a dakota name since this was cheyenne territory until they were forced out in the early 1700s by the dakota, who were themselves being pushed west by the ojibway. There was a lot more fluidity to who lived where before the europeans brought the construct of people being tied to a specific geographic area.

And i think that in honor of prince we should all refer to it as the lake formerly known as calhoun.
Now that DOES make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul