Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 AM

97 posts, read 189,585 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

What do you consider a good salary for Minneapolis?

I can read statistics of course, but I want to know your opinion.

At what number (and up) good salary in Minneapolis begins?

Last edited by VeryBrownBear; 06-09-2019 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,119 times
Too many variables to answer this question. Some people will say $50,000 and some will says a millilon--depends on your lifestyle, family size, and priorities. Same goes for any city.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:11 PM

128 posts, read 113,384 times
And here's the number one variable....

What type of job/profession?

If you're working at a convenience store...$25 is a great salary...if you're a CEO of a company...its probably not.

Gotta know what type of job or profession you're talking about first!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
Hi everyone

Third time’s the charm....

OP, your question was answered when you posted it in 2017 and then again just this past November.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post47003883

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post53661205

Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Third time’s the charm....

OP, your question was answered when you posted it in 2017 and then again just this past November.

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post47003883

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...l#post53661205
Exactly. We'll never hear from the OP again. But I bet s(he) knows BarneytheBanker.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
Hi everyone

I was able to survive in Austin, Texas on less than $50,000 a year before taxes. I am guessing Austin and MSP have a similar cost of living. I don't live in Minnesota, and never have, but if you live a very modest lifestyle, one person should be able to survive on $50,000 a year before taxes.

Don't develop expensive taste. A roomate(s) would make surviving easier, but if you don't want roommate(s), save money in ways like buy or rent a mobile home instead of a house, get a bicycle or take public transportation instead of buying a car. If you must have a car, buy a used car instead of a new car. Take your lunch to work instead of eating at the workplace cafeteria. Don't buy expensive clothing, shop at places like Goodwill and WalMart instead of Macy's and Neiman Marcus. Don't waste your money on bad habits. Find friends who like to hang out at the house instead of friends who like to hang out in bars. On your time off, develop hobbies that don't cost alot of money to do. Take up jogging or bowling or basketball instead of golf. One person should be able to survive on $50,000 a year, but it really just depends on your lifestyle.

If you are married or live with somebody, and you and your partner each has a $50,000 a year job, you should be able to live a fairly comfortable middle class style in most cities in the Midwest or the South, and have a nice middleclass house and drive a nice late model vehicle.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I was able to survive in Austin, Texas on less than $50,000 a year before taxes. I am guessing Austin and MSP have a similar cost of living. I don't live in Minnesota, and never have, but if you live a very modest lifestyle, one person should be able to survive on $50,000 a year before taxes.

Don't develop expensive taste. A roomate(s) would make surviving easier, but if you don't want roommate(s), save money in ways like buy or rent a mobile home instead of a house, get a bicycle or take public transportation instead of buying a car. If you must have a car, buy a used car instead of a new car. Take your lunch to work instead of eating at the workplace cafeteria. Don't buy expensive clothing, shop at places like Goodwill and WalMart instead of Macy's and Neiman Marcus. Don't waste your money on bad habits. Find friends who like to hang out at the house instead of friends who like to hang out in bars. On your time off, develop hobbies that don't cost alot of money to do. Take up jogging or bowling or basketball instead of golf. One person should be able to survive on $50,000 a year, but it really just depends on your lifestyle.

If you are married or live with somebody, and you and your partner each has a $50,000 a year job, you should be able to live a fairly comfortable middle class style in most cities in the Midwest or the South, and have a nice middleclass house and drive a nice late model vehicle.
Housing prices have jumped up here in the last 5 years. If you’re frugal you can get by fine at 40-50k/year but I wouldn’t consider that ‘good pay’ for living in the metro area. Of course a lot depends on the profession as good teacher pay is significantly less than good engineer pay, etc.

Generically speaking for a single professional who will be renting here and living close to the city I would say anything north of 60k should provide comfortable living given some common sense and fiscal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul