Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:57 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Considering I'm from Pittsburgh and we have the 'Penguins', the Wild isn't so bad. Up until the late 70's the Pens were very much the namesake, a colony of Flightless Birds. The history of the team after that time has changed the franchise forever. The Wild just need to take that next step, a deep run in the playoffs to beat back the stigma of a not so great name.

The logo is fine, the colors of the uni's are as bad as advertised.
The Penguins fortunes of course changed when they drafted Mario Lemieux. But you don't always get to draft a generational talent and to even have a chance you have to be really bad so you can get the 1st overall pick. Or least top 5. Tanking is probably what a team like the Wild needs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
The Penguins fortunes of course changed when they drafted Mario Lemieux. But you don't always get to draft a generational talent and to even have a chance you have to be really bad so you can get the 1st overall pick. Or least top 5. Tanking is probably what a team like the Wild needs!
They also tanked and got Crosby and Malkin. Oilers are team that has the worst management, you got 1st overall picks for about 7 straight years and never drafted a defenseman or goalie If Wild pick their prior GM, then the owner should just retire and spend his wife’s money somewhere else.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They also tanked and got Crosby and Malkin. Oilers are team that has the worst management, you got 1st overall picks for about 7 straight years and never drafted a defenseman or goalie If Wild pick their prior GM, then the owner should just retire and spend his wife’s money somewhere else.
I don't how they can have McDavid and Draisiatl and still be bad. Oh wait---I guess it's if you never draft a defenseman or goalie in the 1st round.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Well there you go... Wild name Bill Guerin as GM. Guerin is a class act, this team will earn some respect finally. Let's see how he shapes this team. About time.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Well there you go... Wild name Bill Guerin as GM. Guerin is a class act, this team will earn some respect finally. Let's see how he shapes this team. About time.
Yeah I prefer to wait and see some results before saying the team has respect headed their way. Guerin was a good player but has no GM experience and has a lot to prove working under a clown of an owner plus a perennially underachieving roster. Lot of work to be done before that team even sniffs the Cup.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:35 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
I've grown to like Russo, didn't before and past players I know didn't like him either, but dude knows a lot. He talked about if Parise and Suter retire early, it screws us really bad for years after it in cap space. Hopefully it gets fixed in next CBA which is very soon.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 AM

779 posts, read 471,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Fitting name to me. Does it matter if it's not going to make the team more successful? Minnesota is "middle of the road" in practically everything. Nobody is allowed to stand out or be better than anyone else (not in any significant way), which explains why their teams are virtually unknown. It's a provincial name for a provincial people. I don't see the problem.
Never a shyt this bish didn't take on this sub. Dude's feelings are still hurt.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Out of staters don’t like our hockey team name. Yawn.
I hate hate hate hate HATE it. And my father and I were season ticket holders right out of the gate for years. It's also miles from the Mecca of American hockey, the East Side of St. Paul, so I have a weird relationship with the name.

I honestly loathe the "Wild" name. I think some hipster Gen Xer wanted to be edgy and cool and the owner(s) just signed off on it. What a garbage deal.

Especially after having one of the great names in the history of pro sports (North Stars).

I honestly think it's such a stomach-churning name that that's why we have never gotten a Winter Classic. Honestly, what average American would want to watch a Winter Classic with the "Wild" and the Blackhawks? Now, a WC with the North Stars and the Blackhawks? A few people might actually tune in to that.

Eh, there are two "Sox" franchises in the MLB...there isn't a reason there can't be two "Stars" franchises in the NHL.

Obviously Green took the rights to the name with him, but surely where there's a will there's a way...

Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I've never been to Minnesota and I'm not a Wild fan but I am a huge hockey fan. I actually really like the name and the logo. I think its one of the better logos in the league. Come to think of it I've always pulled for the Wild when they were in the playoffs. To bad they haven't had a nice run.
I became an instant fan of the Knights for a number of reasons.

- bunch of guys that got kicked to the curb
- their Minnesota-born presence (thought that's every team in the NHL, but still)
- great uniforms and name
- and obviously that group of misfits that got kicked to the curb da-n near won it all in Year One

I think I'm almost more of a Knights fan than I am a "Wild" fan and that is borderline blasphemy because as I said I am born and raised St. Paul and former season ticket holder.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:07 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
It's not a wolf's head, it's not a bear's head, it's not a slice of pizza. It's just a generic wild northern forest animal with frightening teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul