Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 01:33 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,040,901 times

Advertisements

I think Fenton did more damage than I thought he did.

The culture seems a bit off, if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Should have named us the "Northerners"....with the "N" the same north star we had on our old unis. Would have been so nasty.

Could have had P. Bunyan as our maskot.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 806 times
If the fans really want a name change and color change back to the North Stars. They need to take these steps to get the owner and leagues attention. 1. Stop buying and wearing Wild gear. 2. Start buying and wearing only North Stars gear. 3. At games, stop chanting "Let's go Wild" and stop referring to them as the Wild. 4. Start chanting "Let's go North Stars" or something similar. Only refer to the team as the North Stars. If you can get most of the fan base to follow those tips. You might actually get the league and owners attention (probably not, but maybe?) and show them this fan base is serious about going back to the North Stars. Unfortunately, the Wild have now been around long enough and have established a fan base. Which a good percentage of that fan base were not even alive when the North Stars played in Bloomington. I assume they are just fine with the Wild name and colors as that is all they know. Anyway, maybe, just maybe if people follow the steps above. You might have a chance at a North Stars return. Actions speak loudly.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,590,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They also tanked and got Crosby and Malkin.
They didn't tank to get those players specifically. When Mario Lemieux received the Penguins in bankruptcy court, he agreed to pay back all the team's creditors in full. The fastest way to accomplish that was by cutting payroll, of which the players were the lion's share. Starting in the 2001 off-season, the Penguins started off-loading their most expensive contracts in exchange for peanuts. This gave the team the liquidity necessary to pay back their creditors in full, which they did in 2004, thankfully before the NHL lockout.

By the 2003-2004 season, however, the Penguins had cut their payroll to the point that they were essentially an AHL team masquerading as an NHL team, and this is why attendance plummeted. Nobody wanted to blow $100 on a night out just to watch a bunch of minor-league-caliber players get blown out on their home ice by even mediocre teams. (TV ratings remained high, however, which belies the notion that Pittsburgh was disinterested in the Penguins during their worst seasons in the early 2000s.)

So where was Sidney Crosby during the 2001 off-season, when this whole process started? About to enter 9th grade, that's where. It's highly doubtful that the Penguins saw some 8th-grade hockey player in Canada and thought, "Gee, he's a stud; let's tank for the next four years so we can draft him!" Their ability to draft Crosby was simply a side benefit of the roster attrition begotten by the payroll cuts that enabled them to pay back all their creditors in full.

On a tangential note, there's been a lot of misinformation and disinformation spread about the Penguins in the last 20 years, especially by hockey fans from Philadelphia and Detroit. No matter what you heard, the problems with the Penguins from 1998-2007 had nothing whatsoever to do with the fans. The 1998 bankruptcy was the end result of dumb ownership decisions, and the 2007 relocation threat was about a) playing in the oldest arena in the NHL that was never even designed for hockey in the first place, and b) having plans for a fully-privately-funded, $290M arena in Pittsburgh shot down by a state government agency at the end of 2006.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:11 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,942,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
They didn't tank to get those players specifically. When Mario Lemieux received the Penguins in bankruptcy court, he agreed to pay back all the team's creditors in full. The fastest way to accomplish that was by cutting payroll, of which the players were the lion's share. Starting in the 2001 off-season, the Penguins started off-loading their most expensive contracts in exchange for peanuts. This gave the team the liquidity necessary to pay back their creditors in full, which they did in 2004, thankfully before the NHL lockout.

By the 2003-2004 season, however, the Penguins had cut their payroll to the point that they were essentially an AHL team masquerading as an NHL team, and this is why attendance plummeted. Nobody wanted to blow $100 on a night out just to watch a bunch of minor-league-caliber players get blown out on their home ice by even mediocre teams. (TV ratings remained high, however, which belies the notion that Pittsburgh was disinterested in the Penguins during their worst seasons in the early 2000s.)

So where was Sidney Crosby during the 2001 off-season, when this whole process started? About to enter 9th grade, that's where. It's highly doubtful that the Penguins saw some 8th-grade hockey player in Canada and thought, "Gee, he's a stud; let's tank for the next four years so we can draft him!" Their ability to draft Crosby was simply a side benefit of the roster attrition begotten by the payroll cuts that enabled them to pay back all their creditors in full.

On a tangential note, there's been a lot of misinformation and disinformation spread about the Penguins in the last 20 years, especially by hockey fans from Philadelphia and Detroit. No matter what you heard, the problems with the Penguins from 1998-2007 had nothing whatsoever to do with the fans. The 1998 bankruptcy was the end result of dumb ownership decisions, and the 2007 relocation threat was about a) playing in the oldest arena in the NHL that was never even designed for hockey in the first place, and b) having plans for a fully-privately-funded, $290M arena in Pittsburgh shot down by a state government agency at the end of 2006.
I never knew or cared for reasons teams finish last place each year, and acquire non playing players contracts to meet league minimum salary caps (Pronger-Phoenix) But the only way Pittsburgh and Hawks acquired 4 future hof’s was due to just plain being terrible. The Wild have never had a bottom rung year ever, thus we have never drafted a high end player other then this Russian guy who may never sign here. There is a once in lifetime Canadian kid who’s already broken Crosby’s records in this year’s draft. Watch Chicago win the draft. We’re finally having a bottom rung year now, I don’t see coach lasting longer then a month from now.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc2484 View Post
If the fans really want a name change and color change back to the North Stars. They need to take these steps to get the owner and leagues attention. 1. Stop buying and wearing Wild gear. 2. Start buying and wearing only North Stars gear. 3. At games, stop chanting "Let's go Wild" and stop referring to them as the Wild. 4. Start chanting "Let's go North Stars" or something similar. Only refer to the team as the North Stars. If you can get most of the fan base to follow those tips. You might actually get the league and owners attention (probably not, but maybe?) and show them this fan base is serious about going back to the North Stars. Unfortunately, the Wild have now been around long enough and have established a fan base. Which a good percentage of that fan base were not even alive when the North Stars played in Bloomington. I assume they are just fine with the Wild name and colors as that is all they know. Anyway, maybe, just maybe if people follow the steps above. You might have a chance at a North Stars return. Actions speak loudly.

It's NEVER going to happen. End of discussion.

The best example we have is the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets and how they changed back to their original name, after (kind of) starting over again with the Bobcats. That was a whole weird deal where New Orleans also changed away from 'Hornets' to 'Pelicans' as well.

The Wild would have a better chance of suing the LA Lakers and turning our NHL franchise into the "Lakers" than it would ever change back to North Stars...which is to say, not at all.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,394,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It's NEVER going to happen. End of discussion.

The best example we have is the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets and how they changed back to their original name, after (kind of) starting over again with the Bobcats. That was a whole weird deal where New Orleans also changed away from 'Hornets' to 'Pelicans' as well.

The Wild would have a better chance of suing the LA Lakers and turning our NHL franchise into the "Lakers" than it would ever change back to North Stars...which is to say, not at all.
They won't go back to the name, but they could go back to the colors. They should do it because the current color scheme is butt ugly. Give the fans at least something to get a wee bit excited about because this team is not going to be good again for a LONG while.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
They won't go back to the name, but they could go back to the colors. They should do it because the current color scheme is butt ugly. Give the fans at least something to get a wee bit excited about because this team is not going to be good again for a LONG while.
I've always thought that they would go back to the colors or at least integrate them in some way into the franchise.

I kind of don't like that "forest" green, either.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

Pittsburgh has been a lucky team. Get a generational talent in Lemieux, followed up by one in Jagr, and then hit the jackpot with Sid the Kid. They really have had a run of fortune in my lifetime one of the better run franchises.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,394,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I've always thought that they would go back to the colors or at least integrate them in some way into the franchise.

I kind of don't like that "forest" green, either.
I don’t mind the forest green....in fact I actually like it, but the way they mix it with the red and yellow is just plain bad. I thought their best jersey was the one that had the “Minnesota” script that looked like a beer label on the front, but of course they did away with those. Can’t stand the ones they’re wearing now, especially those hideous road whites with the red numbers. Those just look completely cartoonish.

On that note, I just bought myself and early Christmas present: a green North Stars Dino Ciccarelli jersey. I want the Wild to know that not only do I think their uniforms and name are awful, but that they have no player on their roster whose jersey I would even consider buying. That wasn’t the only reason I bought the Dino jersey but it was part of it for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul