Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 01:43 PM

520 posts, read 775,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Yes, I’m familiar with the area. I disagree that it will continue to go downhill. Last year was a 30 year low for crime so statistically there is no merit to your belief that there is a serious safety/crime issue in the city. The fact that the newly proposed city budget includes an increase in police officers should also help.
Can you provide a source for your statistics? Unless your using cherry picked data, crime did not hit a 30 year low last year.
Looking at citywide data, the overall crime rate in Minneapolis bottomed out in 2014-2015 and have risen steadily since. Some property crimes hit their lows a few years earlier:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html

The city used to track crimes by month by neighborhood but stopped doing so a couple years ago. Most of the old data is no longer online. That data showed that crime had decreased, sometimes dramatically, in some of the rougher residential neighborhoods over the last decade or two. At the same time their has been a steady rise in crime in many downtown/uptown neighborhoods.

This probably fuels the perception that crime is out of control. If there are rapes, robberies and shootings in the Jordan neighborhood and you don't live, work or play there, it's just package news. When it happens near your office or in front of the bar you went to last weekend, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
That post looks like he/she was generalizing the mayors lax policy of law enforcement. Their other post regarding drug addicts, thugs, etc had no mention of skin color. You bringing up brown people into the discussion is just race baiting.
That wasn’t the intent. I was just re-stating in slightly different words what TwinsFan has said herself. I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Can you provide a source for your statistics? Unless your using cherry picked data, crime did not hit a 30 year low last year.
Looking at citywide data, the overall crime rate in Minneapolis bottomed out in 2014-2015 and have risen steadily since. Some property crimes hit their lows a few years earlier:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html

The city used to track crimes by month by neighborhood but stopped doing so a couple years ago. Most of the old data is no longer online. That data showed that crime had decreased, sometimes dramatically, in some of the rougher residential neighborhoods over the last decade or two. At the same time their has been a steady rise in crime in many downtown/uptown neighborhoods.

This probably fuels the perception that crime is out of control. If there are rapes, robberies and shootings in the Jordan neighborhood and you don't live, work or play there, it's just package news. When it happens near your office or in front of the bar you went to last weekend, that's a different story.
How safe is downtown Minneapolis? Police stats validate perception of rising crime | Star Tribune

Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM

588 posts, read 562,322 times
Quote:
That wasn’t the intent. I was just re-stating in slightly different words what TwinsFan has said herself. I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable.
The uncomfortableness is only in YOUR mind.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
The uncomfortableness is only in YOUR mind.
????? Ok then?

Old 09-24-2019, 02:11 PM

520 posts, read 775,739 times
"He added that with the city coming off 30-year lows in crime rates, some annual fluctuations are to be expected."

This? Not exactly detailed statistical data. I assume he's referring to the lows in 2011-2015.

Mean reversion as justification for rising crime rates is a pretty baseless argument, unless the crime rate hits zero. How come crime hasn't reverted to the mean or "shown some fluctuation" in NYC or Boston?

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

Or even Atlanta:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

There is no meaningful baseline for a crime rate. Some cities have lots of it, others not so much. Minneapolis has much more favorable demographics (poverty rates, per capita income etc.) than many cities with lower crime rates. Chicago and Milwaukee have a lot more working against them in this area. We have a similar crime rate to those cities because we elect people who work against our interests.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
"He added that with the city coming off 30-year lows in crime rates, some annual fluctuations are to be expected."

This? Not exactly detailed statistical data. I assume he's referring to the lows in 2011-2015.

Mean reversion as justification for rising crime rates is a pretty baseless argument, unless the crime rate hits zero. How come crime hasn't reverted to the mean or "shown some fluctuation" in NYC or Boston?

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

Or even Atlanta:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

There is no meaningful baseline for a crime rate. Some cities have lots of it, others not so much. Minneapolis has much more favorable demographics (poverty rates, per capita income etc.) than many cities with lower crime rates. Chicago and Milwaukee have a lot more working against them in this area. We have a similar crime rate to those cities because we elect people who work against our interests.
Are you accounting for the large increase in the downtown population in recent years and increase in average daily visitors? More people = more crime.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:19 PM

413 posts, read 323,514 times
Quote:
My comment was in response to your calling out specific races of people and accompanying that by describing them as drug addicts, thugs, gangsta and ghetto. By doing that you are in effect turning this into a discussion about race. Then when I point that out you attempt to deflect by accusing me of being obsessed with race? Yeah...nice.
I never did that and you know it. It is blacks who are standing in that area smoking dope and dealing it. Bring your family down there and see if for yourself. You won't acknowledge it, of course, but you'll see it.

In the end, you should argue leading with the validity of your point. If you can't do that, then perhapd your point is not valid.

And with that, I AM done with you.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
I never did that and you know it. It is blacks who are standing in that area smoking dope and dealing it. Bring your family down there and see if for yourself. You won't acknowledge it, of course, but you'll see it.

In the end, you should argue leading with the validity of your point. If you can't do that, then perhapd your point is not valid.

And with that, I AM done with you.
Yes, you’ve pointed out multiple times that witnessing a few black guys loitering around a light rail stop makes you feel unsafe even though they pose no threat to you. But then when I point out your paranoia I somehow get labeled as race obsessed.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Yes, you’ve pointed out multiple times that witnessing a few black guys loitering around a light rail stop makes you feel unsafe even though they pose no threat to you. But then when I point out your paranoia I somehow get labeled as race obsessed.
Are you medically qualified to diagnose paranoia — over the internet, no less!!— or is this just another of your veiled personal attacks on another poster with whom you disagree?

https://www.mhanational.org/conditio...onal-disorders

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-24-2019 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul