Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 AM

413 posts, read 323,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why would they get minor sentences? Didn't Ray Widstrand's attacker get the book thrown at him?
I don't know. What did he get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 10:46 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
I don't know. What did he get?
One of the attackers got 8 years, another got 16 years. The 15 year old was the one who got 8 years. The 15 year old got the maximum that a 15 year old can get.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
One of the attackers got 8 years, another got 16 years. The 15 year old was the one who got 8 years. The 15 year old got the maximum that a 15 year old can get.
That is hardly "having the book thrown at them". Today's criminal justice system is about justice for the criminal, not the victim.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
That is hardly "having the book thrown at them". Today's criminal justice system is about justice for the criminal, not the victim.
How long do you think they should have gotten?

By the way, the younger person was sentenced differently from the older person involved.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
As an aside, how is it like in St. Paul? I've heard the downtown is even more dead than in Mpls but is the crime lower overall in St Paul in general? Are the police any better?
Minneapolis' downtown is far from dead. Sure, if you walk through the financial district after 7:00, it's certainly more quiet than during the business day. But downtown really extends from the Mill District and Elliot Park on the east, through the middle financial district and to the Warehouse District and through North Loop on the west, and from the river on the north down to Loring Park on the south. The drug dealing and violent crimes are primarily happening in the Warehouse District where the bars and clubz are heavily concentrated. It and North Loop's proximity to North Minneapolis, the real hood of the city, makes it easy for criminal elements to congregate there and conduct crimes. But those areas are far from dead. They're not Manhattan, but there is plenty of activity before and after dark.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM

202 posts, read 429,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m stating an opinion based on my observations. I don’t need to be a medical professional to do this, do I?

Lol you are possibly the most delusional person in this thread. Lets meet up downtown and go for a stroll my guy. Im gonna do this on my own and livestream it and post the link here so people can really see what the streets are like. You acting like its candyland outchea haha i highly doubt you bring your family dt as there is nothing for kids to even do besides go to a twins game and in that you are travelling with the masses and avoiding crime anyway. I think you are deluded bro, and by bro i mean never my bro.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
As an aside, how is it like in St. Paul? I've heard the downtown is even more dead than in Mpls but is the crime lower overall in St Paul in general? Are the police any better?
Yes dead at night, and the police presence is overwhelming day and night.
Which is a goood thing. Might be why if there’s any “action” it’s under control and over in minutes, for the most part.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
"He added that with the city coming off 30-year lows in crime rates, some annual fluctuations are to be expected."

This? Not exactly detailed statistical data. I assume he's referring to the lows in 2011-2015.

Mean reversion as justification for rising crime rates is a pretty baseless argument, unless the crime rate hits zero. How come crime hasn't reverted to the mean or "shown some fluctuation" in NYC or Boston?

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-New-York.html

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

Or even Atlanta:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

There is no meaningful baseline for a crime rate. Some cities have lots of it, others not so much. Minneapolis has much more favorable demographics (poverty rates, per capita income etc.) than many cities with lower crime rates. Chicago and Milwaukee have a lot more working against them in this area. We have a similar crime rate to those cities because we elect people who work against our interests.
I used to work in the city of Atlanta. The violent crime rate has dropped alot. The major business district, I rarely feel uneasy walking around that area. Midtown/northern part of Downtown. Atlanta being 50% Black, it's expected to be worse than Minneapolis. Minneapolis has(and always has) a lower murder rate than Atlanta. On the other hand, Atlanta's murder rate is much lower than that of Chicago. 16 per 100,000 is Atlanta's murder rate. It could be better. At the same time, the murder rate has dropped. One major issue in Atlanta, sadly, is theft. Atlanta has an issue with car theft.

I checked Milwaukee. In spite of a smaller Black population, Milwaukee has a higher murder rate than Atlanta, and a higher crime rate over all. And very strained race relations to boot.

As for NYC, gentrification and the policing of quality of life crimes has played a role.

I think about this. Mpls and Atlanta have both seen a steady stream of African-Americans from Chicago (Atlanta even more so). However, the results have been quite different. The Twin Cities area has received a relatively poor, more crime-prone section of Chicago's Black population. Atlanta is getting alot of middle class Blacks. I have to wonder what is up with that. Plenty of jobs in MN. The state as a whole has a higher quality of life relative to Georgia.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 PM

202 posts, read 429,417 times
Quote:
I used to work in the city of Atlanta. The violent crime rate has dropped alot. The major business district, I rarely feel uneasy walking around that area. Midtown/northern part of Downtown. Atlanta being 50% Black, it's expected to be worse than Minneapolis. Minneapolis has(and always has) a lower murder rate than Atlanta. On the other hand, Atlanta's murder rate is much lower than that of Chicago. 16 per 100,000 is Atlanta's murder rate. It could be better. At the same time, the murder rate has dropped. One major issue in Atlanta, sadly, is theft. Atlanta has an issue with car theft.

I checked Milwaukee. In spite of a smaller Black population, Milwaukee has a higher murder rate than Atlanta, and a higher crime rate over all. And very strained race relations to boot.

As for NYC, gentrification and the policing of quality of life crimes has played a role.

I think about this. Mpls and Atlanta have both seen a steady stream of African-Americans from Chicago (Atlanta even more so). However, the results have been quite different. The Twin Cities area has received a relatively poor, more crime-prone section of Chicago's Black population. Atlanta is getting alot of middle class Blacks. I have to wonder what is up with that. Plenty of jobs in MN. The state as a whole has a higher quality of life relative to Georgia.

Social welfare programs. Mn giving away money to broke boys left an right

Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
Social welfare programs. Mn giving away money to broke boys left an right
I can tell that you either didn't read the whole thing, or you didn't get the point. Yes, there are welfare dependents moving to Minnesota. At the same time, many African-Americans went to Minnesota because they wanted jobs. You had working people from Chicago going to the Twin Cities. But what you don't get is this. The middle class African-Americans, the professionals, the educated from Chicago, far more of them are going to Atlanta than Minneapolis. And it's ironic considering Minnesota has a higher quality of life than Georgia. Why are more choosing Atlanta over Minneapolis? Have you ever thought to think of anything else besides welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul