Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Actually, Milwaukee crime is pretty much, like Chicago, in certain areas...downtown not being one of them. You can live in Milwaukee for decades, and never know anyone impacted by crime. You don't go to certain areas. Downtown, especially during the day, is bustling, with LOTS of tourists (the Lake), and activity...LOTS. Cars parked with license plates from all over the country.
I always think of Chicago, first, and Milwaukee, second as the most segregated cities in the country. And there's another unseen segregation going on, with those displaced due to the gentrification of our downtown areas, and you wonder where they went to. As they gentrified Harlem, where did they go?

I lived in Las Vegas for 22 years and I have always felt it's the most desegregated city in the country and I also lived in Minneapolis for 21 years. Yes, Minneapolis, Loring Park area, Cider Riverside or Elliott Park.

How you project yourself when faced with potential danger is a must! I've made 82 trips to Tijuana, over the years, sometimes for long weekends, and all alone, I would walk around central Tijuana until 5 in the morning, never an incident, and always felt safe there.

I've been following developments in Minneapolis on SkyscraperPage.com for years now, watching all the myriad construction projects go up over the years, and I've wondered where do the displaced (due to gentrification) move to in the Minneapolis area? Which suburb? Before I left in 1993, I know a number of them were out in Brooklyn Park. And given all that construction, I'm surprised the streets aren't more populated, day or nite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
According to Lou Raguse of KARE11, someone threw a Lyft scooter onto a MPD squad car this morning smashing the windshield. He thinks the guy was arrested but that hasn’t been confirmed.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
According to Lou Raguse of KARE11, someone threw a Lyft scooter onto a MPD squad car this morning smashing the windshield. He thinks the guy was arrested but that hasn’t been confirmed.
With yet another murder over the weekend, perhaps it's time to revive 1995's "Murderapolis" moniker.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
All the news about downtown Minneapolis as well as the responses on C-D definitely gives me something to think about whenever I head to the Twin Cities. I've walked all over Minneapolis downtown over the years and always felt pretty safe. I haven't done so for 3 years though. Went to a ballgame this summer, but rode the rail.

This kind of publicity is a killer for the city. I know it makes me think twice about bringing my family there.

The liberal nutcases running the show here better take heed before they do serious damage to the regional shopping and tourism that used to always be a magnet for people from outside the metro and the region.

Safety for the law abiding people (who pay taxes and buy things) should be the priority. Not the protection of thugs and all the concern for fairness to them and their "rights".
Don’t believe everything you read here. Downtown isn’t any less safe than it was 3 years ago. If anything it has gotten more gentrified since then with the development spurred by the football stadium. It’s a bustling place and as a result some crime is inevitable. I will continue to take my family there regularly with zero hesitation.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
All the news about downtown Minneapolis as well as the responses on C-D definitely gives me something to think about whenever I head to the Twin Cities. I've walked all over Minneapolis downtown over the years and always felt pretty safe. I haven't done so for 3 years though. Went to a ballgame this summer, but rode the rail.

This kind of publicity is a killer for the city. I know it makes me think twice about bringing my family there.

The liberal nutcases running the show here better take heed before they do serious damage to the regional shopping and tourism that used to always be a magnet for people from outside the metro and the region.

Safety for the law abiding people (who pay taxes and buy things) should be the priority. Not the protection of thugs and all the concern for fairness to them and their "rights".
Don't believe everything you read here, particularly the stuff that's all puppy dogs and rainbows. The area officially known as Downtown West, including the Warehouse District bars and clubz area has become ghetto. I walk it regularly as I live in North Loop and oftentimes after dark. Whenever possible, I leave all of my valuables at home, including cell phone. The city decided a couple of years back to decriminalize low level "crimes" such as loitering which basically castrated the cops from breaking up potential crime activity before it happened. Now Hennepin Ave, particularly around the Warehouse District LRT station is the outdoor lounge for smoking dope and crack and dealing drugs, all while the cops stand there just 20 yards away and whistle into the wind. And who can blame them? The Minneapolis Silly Clowncil has made it clear that most of them hate cops. So unfortunately, the law abiding citizens reap what the Clowncil sows.

You can take the word of people who occasionally trot their little families downtown for their night out of the suburbs or you can take the word of someone who's actually lived downtown for going on 14 years...

Old 09-24-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Don't believe everything you read here, particularly the stuff that's all puppy dogs and rainbows. The area officially known as Downtown West, including the Warehouse District bars and clubz area has become ghetto. I walk it regularly as I live in North Loop and oftentimes after dark. Whenever possible, I leave all of my valuables at home, including cell phone. The city decided a couple of years back to decriminalize low level "crimes" such as loitering which basically castrated the cops from breaking up potential crime activity before it happened. Now Hennepin Ave, particularly around the Warehouse District LRT station is the outdoor lounge for smoking dope and crack and dealing drugs, all while the cops stand there just 20 yards away and whistle into the wind. And who can blame them? The Minneapolis Silly Clowncil has made it clear that most of them hate cops. So unfortunately, the law abiding citizens reap what the Clowncil sows.

You can take the word of people who occasionally trot their little families downtown for their night out of the suburbs or you can take the word of someone who's actually lived downtown for going on 14 years...
Just because one person is ultra paranoid and afraid of coexisting with brown people does not mean that downtown is unsafe.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Just because one person is ultra paranoid and afraid of coexisting with brown people does not mean that downtown is unsafe.
Why are you fixated on race?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
No one has said anything about "brown" people. We've just read the articles (that are true), in the newspaper, and seen it on the news. You can keep hiding your head in the sand, though.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Why are you fixated on race?
Let’s go back and look at your posts shall we?

Quote:
. It changed when Frrey and the Clowncil said stop enforcing livability issues and stop arresting the blacks smoking dope around the LRT stations because you're arresting too many blacks.
Quote:
Agreed. Funny how those who think all of the gangsta activity that goes on in the cesspool known as DT Mpls.
Quote:
The area officially known as Downtown West, including the Warehouse District bars and clubz area has become ghetto.
So was there a different way I should be interpreting this?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
He never said Brown people .You did..
Seems people hanging out and and smoking you think they must be -Brown People _ is people of color Allways on your mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul