Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 325,997 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a road test scheduled this week at the plymouth area. But I heard that it is really tough there. Has anyone taken a test there? How is it? Any tips that u can share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
yeah, know how to drive and you'll be fine.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
If you are somehow worried, and have even the slightest inclination to disregard public safety, you should reschedule and go to Chaska. Instead of a closed track, they put you onto city streets where you never go over 25.
Remember that your appearance can have a bit of importance (at least in my opinion). Speak coherently and maturely. Smell clean, dress properly. If a kid looks more responsible, I feel that they are willing to let more minor things slide. I could be wrong.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 325,997 times
Thanks for sharing your views and tips.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 162,541 times
failed in plymouth not necessarily true for everyone though, it was really a strict examiner.

They will ask you the following, while seated in your car:

1. Adjustment of seat
2. Belt
3. Brake - emergency break
4. Lights - high and low beam
5. Deforesters - front and back
6. Fan control

Once you are done, they will give you information about the road you will be driving.
prior to your departure you will be parked infront of a one way road, there are slot 1,2,3 and 4. You will be told at the registration window which space you will be parking. Park carefully so that during your eventual departure you will havea good start to move and join the road.

Your car will be parked right infront of a one way road. it will only turn to the right, from there onwards just follow their instructions. After a while you will either turn left or right. if you turn right just go right into the corner closest to the curb. if they tell you to turn left, then don't make the same mistake some funny guy made (he was driving infront of me) lol, by turning to left closest to the curb. remember once you see the yellow lines it's a two way road. There will be no signs or markings! once you see yellow lines treat it as a two way road.

Lane change - make sure you look left, right and your back - just do lots of exagerated observations and I mean exagerated. It's not normal driving, remember you are doing for them! don't forget to use your signals.

Parallel parking - the usual stuff, go through with your instructor - remember the first cut is the deepest. don't try to over adjust. they consider that your car is parked when in between, not too close to front or back poles and keep close to the curb.

90 parking - yes, I had to do this too! they made me do everything in the book, it's easy though, they will ask to move all the way until the front of the car is inline with the poles.

up hill park - close to the curb and turn your wheels away from the curb, and make sure you put the gear to parking point- i.e at the P - position and pull your emergency brakes, don't forget though to push back your emergency brakes ebfore you move. signal and then move on, while looking to the sides, SMOG in and SMOG out. Signal, Mirror, Over the shoulder and Go.

Turnings - don't turn your wheel to left or right when making turns unless you are comitted. you are comitted accroding to them once you look all around you, left, right and back and then turn the wheel to the corner you are going into.

Generally be calm, I know its not allowed to drive and practice in that area, but I think its a good idea to have a walk in the driving place and see around. its not a big place but knowing the roads and checking in advance on foot is really a good idea. You will know where to turn and when etc

I heard the plymouth testing area is really hard on minorities and I think there is some truth to it. They were really strict one me and I had to do everything in the book, you name it. It was like driving a Taxi with the passenger in the front seat.

Puck passed his driving test after hitting the curb! 'cause he wasn't a somali as he said! unluckily enough I was a SOMALI! the examiner's demeanor and facial expression spoke voulmes. I tried though, but DMV kept me for ages to accumulate enough mistakes to make me fail!

Good luck my pals.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 160,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlak View Post
Hi,

I have a road test scheduled this week at the plymouth area. But I heard that it is really tough there. Has anyone taken a test there? How is it? Any tips that u can share?
They are strict. I took my test the second time there and got more points taken off then I did my first test in anoka, mn. I did waaaayyyy better than I did my first test and I still failed. Next week, I'm going back to anoka.

anoka dmv takes you out to city streets and they are more than happy to look pass minor flaws. I think it's a lot easier if you're out on city streets because there are cars and people and you are more alert about what to do. If you go to places where they have their own tracks, it can be hard. You are not as alert because it's so quite and empty.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 PM

86 posts, read 481,818 times
Chaska is the place to go - that was common knowledge back when I took my test.

Don't just follow their instructions blindly, they might try and trick you. Example: If they tell you to make a turn, LOOK and verify that that would be a legal turn. They tried to mess me up on a one-way.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNorthSide View Post
Chaska is the place to go - that was common knowledge back when I took my test.

Good luck.
Same back when I took the test. Everybody said to go to Chaska, not Plymouth. I passed on the first attempt.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 227,659 times
What is the road test like in Chaska?
I have taken it twice at Eagan but failed.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 159,516 times
Exclamation Failed Test In Plymouth!

i took my test in plymouth today and failed and i was wondering whether the next time i go, it'll be the same? or does it depend on the instructor that i get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul