Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 9,623 times

Advertisements

Hi. I will be moving from Lawrence, KS to St. Paul in the fall to attend the UMN. I need to live in St. Paul because my daughter will be attending the French Immersion school there. I also would like to live near a bus line so that I won't have to drive into Minneapolis for school. We are looking to rent for now and would prefer not to live in a big complex. I've been looking on-line but I don't know where everything is at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
You have to get to the main campus in Mpls., right. If so; I would look right over the city border and be within walking distance of University Avenue. The area around Hamline is also a good area to look at.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks. Is there a particular name for that neighborhood that I should look for?

Old 04-20-2008, 06:25 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,737,154 times
I dont know what neighborhood it would be on the St Paul side, but right around where Prospect Park is on the Minneapolis side would be a decent place to look.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
I was refering to Saint Anthony (not to confuse with the city of St. Anth.). The Midway and Como Park areas would also work (although more easily if you were to drive)

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM

479 posts, read 2,215,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I was refering to Saint Anthony (not to confuse with the city of St. Anth.).
Saint Anthony Park

Old 04-21-2008, 06:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
What grade is she in? The elementary school ages for the French Immersion and the middle school grades are on opposite sides of the city pretty much.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM

113 posts, read 651,616 times
Smile relocating to St. Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfantprodigue View Post
Hi. I will be moving from Lawrence, KS to St. Paul in the fall to attend the UMN. I need to live in St. Paul because my daughter will be attending the French Immersion school there. I also would like to live near a bus line so that I won't have to drive into Minneapolis for school. We are looking to rent for now and would prefer not to live in a big complex. I've been looking on-line but I don't know where everything is at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Why not contact the Chamber of Commerce for the info you require? The U of M has a campus in St. Paul as well as the larger one in Minneapolis. When I went there, it was ranked right behind the University of Southern California at L. A. in size. Many students commute on a bicycle because parking around the U. of M. is such a hassle. There are bike racks on campus, which make bicycling very convenient if you don't live too far from the U.

I still receive alumni newsletters from the U. of M.

Prior to each semester there is a welcome week, which I found to be extremely beneficial when I was a new student! Often, student study centers are found that way! Its a neat way to get to know your way around, as well as starting wonderful new relationships! Several student centers are found at local churches that cater to students, offering students and faculty, a chance to get to know each other, economical places to prepare hot lunches, clubs, as well as a chance to get to know Dinky Town (the community which caters exclusively to college students and is immediately adjacent to the Minneapolis campus. The Minneapolis campus when I was there was divided into two campuses..., the East Bank Campus (for all the other colleges) and the West Bank Campus (School of Business) along Washington Street. The East Bank Campus as it was called then, was east of the Mississippi River and the West Bank campus was west of the Mississippi River.

At the student center I actively participated in, we had outings, an occaisional weekend trip to other parts of Minnesota, volunteer musical groups which played on home made musical instruments, which showed a lot of original thought, as well as religious services that catered to all life styles.

Coming from Lawrence Kansas, you will not learn the Twin Cities over night! I'd compare the Twin Cities to a place you're probably more familiar with.., Kansas City. When, there are two, Kansas City Kansas and Kansas City Missouri.

I'd rent a room or an apartment first on a short term basis even if it is more expensive, see how well you like it, when you find what you're looking for, then enter into a lease. Remember, its always easier to get into a lease than it is to find what you're looking for at the end of your lease! So, you get your deposit back, and where you won't have to break your lease if it doesn't turn out the way you expect it to when you sign your lease!

Another thing to consider if you can find it is if you can find someone who wants a house sitter while they're gone. Its a good way to get your feet wet, get more acquainted with the area, while you send out some feelers on where you want to live. Sometimes, people with a vacant house will even pay you to occupy their house while they're gone, if you provide reputable decent references.

I can't advise as to the French Immersion School because I'm not that familar with it, sorry.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-22-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 04-22-2008, 02:31 PM

113 posts, read 651,616 times
Smile Midway area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
You have to get to the main campus in Mpls., right. If so; I would look right over the city border and be within walking distance of University Avenue. The area around Hamline is also a good area to look at.
Yes, the city bus that travels along University Avenue is a good suggestion, however; I think that I'd look at the area closer to the KSTP tower which is on the dividing line between Minneapolis and St. Paul on University Avenue, if your daughter is planing on taking the bus. Remember, there will always be two bus fares each way because there is a fare for each city to consider.
Along University Avenue, which is an extremely buisy jugular vein between St. Paul and Minneapolis, there is heavy industry too..., especially between Prior and around Randolph (both streets cross University Avenue).

Hamline is an old residential established area. Lots of nice older houses.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Thank you!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help. Golfgal, my daughter is 6 and she will be in 1st grade, so she will be at L'etoile du nord. Are there any areas around that school that are affordable and still close to the bus line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul