Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:55 PM

203 posts, read 512,608 times

Advertisements

I absolutely want to live in Minneapolis when I go to college at the age of 18. Unfortunately, right now I am stuck in South Dakota with hardly any diversity. I am going crazy living here, and I'm truly looking forward to living a life in the city. My mom explains to me that I am a naive little girl, who may have the possibility of getting involved with the wrong groups of people. She's worried about the traffic, the crime, and the school that I am planning to attend, MCTC. Is she right? Should I listen to her and go live in a smaller place like Mankato? I'll never know what it's like to live in Minneapolis unless I experience it myself is what I'm trying to explain to my mom. Is she right? Is minneapolis not a good place for me?

Last edited by jazzymentality; 04-20-2008 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
I don't think crime is something that should preoccupy you too much; have a certain amount of city sense (don't leave things on your front seat, walk alone at night, et. cetera). You are just as likely to end up in the river at Mankato as you are to end up dead in Mpls. Mpls. is generally pretty safe if you aren't involved in things that get people hurt. Traffic should be of little concern. It is an annoyance if you drive, or think you are going to commute to MCTC every morning.
The thing to worry most about is the natural shock of living in the heart of a large, metropolitan area. I doubt it is something you can much prepare for, I suppose there in lies the adventure of it. You have to understand that I am speaking to people in general, I can't give you any personal recommendation. Do you have any experience w. Mpls., any family? Those things help. Your mother may be more conortable if you lived closer to the Univ. of Minn.; there are plenty of kids your age and rents are cheap. The area is safe and you can easily get a bus to take you to MCTC.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 PM

196 posts, read 920,601 times
You would probably get in more trouble in Mankato with the party school atmosphere and all... but you can't live life being paranoid about things like that. If you want to adjust to a big city I think Minneapolis is one of the best places to do that: safe, big yet small, affordable, etc. I would say MCTC and community college in general probably aren't the easiest places to develop friends. People are there to go to class and leave. You would probably develop more friendships going to a state uni like Mankato or St. Cloud (or the U of M TC if thats an option for you). If you live downtown Minneapolis by MCTC you will find there are very few people your age, plus you won't really be able to take advantage of the nightlife since you aren't 21. I would say find some college roommates in a place like Dinkytown or Uptown.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:21 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
MCTC will be significantly cheaper than St Cloud or Mankato. Affordable rent in decent areas is doable. Live in the "short" section of Northeast (i.e. between Broadway NE and Lowry NE) and just rent with a couple people. I always see properties for rent in Logan Park for cheap. Dinkytown wouldnt be bad either...lots of students.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 PM

203 posts, read 512,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
You would probably get in more trouble in Mankato with the party school atmosphere and all... but you can't live life being paranoid about things like that. If you want to adjust to a big city I think Minneapolis is one of the best places to do that: safe, big yet small, affordable, etc. I would say MCTC and community college in general probably aren't the easiest places to develop friends. People are there to go to class and leave. You would probably develop more friendships going to a state uni like Mankato or St. Cloud (or the U of M TC if thats an option for you). If you live downtown Minneapolis by MCTC you will find there are very few people your age, plus you won't really be able to take advantage of the nightlife since you aren't 21. I would say find some college roommates in a place like Dinkytown or Uptown.

When you say "find some college roommated in a place like Dinkytown or Uptown" you don't neccessarily mean that I have to GO to that college, right? Keep in mind that the main reason I'm going to MCTC is because of the diversity and graphic arts. I'm also going to be bused to MCTC, even though I'll have a car.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
My only comments are that the vast majority of friends that I have in Minneapolis moved there from small town, North/South Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana when the were about 18. It worked for them.

And, MCTC is the best community college in the country. That statement may be arguable, but the education and instructors are top notch.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 PM

196 posts, read 920,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
When you say "find some college roommated in a place like Dinkytown or Uptown" you don't neccessarily mean that I have to GO to that college, right? Keep in mind that the main reason I'm going to MCTC is because of the diversity and graphic arts. I'm also going to be bused to MCTC, even though I'll have a car.
No of course not. I didn't realize you were going to MCTC for a specific program. I was under the impression that you just wanted an urban campus. But dinkytown and uptown would probably be best suited for meeting others (downtown is great, but like i said, I don't think you will find alot of people your age).

Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
i moved from a small town after high school and you couldnt pay me to go back. Prior to moving, a lot of people I talked to about it would say things like "you'll get shot there!" like every single person in the metro area has to wear a kevlar vest. Sadly this mentality is even prevelant in neighboring suburbs of Minneapolis proper.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 AM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Jazzy,

I'm from South Dakota - I remember when i transferred from Edison to Whittier Middle School in Sioux Falls (and later when I was at Washington), people said the same thing about crime, poverty, etc. on the east side of Sioux Falls which was pretty ridiculous. But in retrospect, my Minneapolis neighborhood has less crime than the neighborhood i grew up in in Sioux Falls...as for the big city worries, I've never felt threatened or unsafe really anywhere in Minneapolis - and this includes neighborhoods that people around here view as dangerous.

Don't worry about it - you'll like MCTC, it's in a neat area (another good area close by MCTC to possibly live would be Uptown) and you'll find many, many other young transplants like yourself around here.

In your situation, I would suggest not going to Mankato, although they do have some programs with a solid reputation and it's getting to be a lot more diverse, you'll likely be around the same (or same type) of kids you went to high school with, and on that note, you can tell your mom that you're much less likely to die from alcohol poisoning here in Mpls than in Mankato which might make her feel better.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 184,815 times
Take a chance and do what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul