Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:08 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,660,275 times

Advertisements

I have never doubted that family and societal factors play a role in educational outcomes, with family environment possibly playing the largest role. I also have no doubt that the approach of the school to the educational process plays a role, and being a political body, the political philosophy of the school board affects its approach to education.

I simply don’t understand why you are so adamant in denying that both could be true. I can guess that it’s some kind of emotional investment in the answer,and it seems closed minded to me to not consider all the possibilities,but that is certainly your right.

I think we’ve beat the crap out of this one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,286,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I have never doubted that family and societal factors play a role in educational outcomes, with family environment possibly playing the largest role. I also have no doubt that the approach of the school to the educational process plays a role, and being a political body, the political philosophy of the school board affects its approach to education.

I simply don’t understand why you are so adamant in denying that both could be true. I can guess that it’s some kind of emotional investment in the answer,and it seems closed minded to me to not consider all the possibilities,but that is certainly your right.

I think we’ve beat the crap out of this one now.
I’m willing to consider more comprehensive studies on the matter.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m willing to consider more comprehensive studies on the matter.
That is very big of you. Fortunately, the people who are affected don’t have to wait for you to “consider more comprehensive studies” before they flee the failing MPS. Do keep us posted on your findings.

Last edited by Glenfield; 01-29-2020 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 03:10 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,286,499 times
Quote:
That is very big of you. Fortunately, the people who are affected don’t have to wait for you to “consider more comprehensive studies” before they flee the failing MPS. Do keep us posted on your findings.
My prediction is that test scores will improve significantly on the northside over the course of the next 15-20 years due to gentrification.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
My prediction is that test scores will improve significantly on the northside over the course of the next 15-20 years due to gentrification.
That’s a solution. Displace the poor people, a very progressive idea!

Last edited by Glenfield; 01-29-2020 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 PM

381 posts, read 344,656 times
Access to things.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:19 PM

87 posts, read 104,837 times
Quote:
First of all, it’s a preference, not an obsession.

We like the short commute downtown, the relatively walkable neighborhoods, being near the lakes and bike trails, space for a lawn and garden that is big enough to enjoy but not so big it’s a burden, and we prefer old houses to new ones.

By and large, the OP is right about the low quality of Minneapolis Public Schools. Had we not already decided to send our child to a private school regardless of where we lived, we probably wouldn’t have considered living in Minneapolis.

While the schools in SW Minneapolis are the best in the district, the school board is moving ahead full speed to change that by eliminating magnet schools and redrawing attendance boundaries. In an effort to retain students of color, they are making the school system less attractive for the white residents of Minneapolis as they pursue a goal of “equity.”

MPS is hemorrhaging students and 80% of the students leaving are students of color. These families are choosing charter schools, open enrollment in suburban schools, and private schools in an attempt to flee the failed public schools in Minneapolis. These families don’t want “equity” they want quality but that is not the focus of MPS.
Nailed it. When we lived in Highland Park, we absolutely LOVED it. We weren't "obsessed" with it, we just liked what it provided. Walkability, access to public transit, close to the river, etc. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.The fact that the OP made it seem like anyone that would like that would have an "obsession", leads me to believe this is more about him/her than anyone else.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:35 PM

11,919 posts, read 8,244,234 times
This thread seems to assume that the only alternative to living in a city is to live in a suburb. No doctors, lawyers, mail delivery? Do you also assume no arts, museums, community organizations? People seem to be ignorant of what it means to live in areas of lower population.

And anyone who has ever taught school can tell you why there is a racial gap in education in progressive communities. It's a terrible disservice to people of color, has nothing to do with student potential and if you aren't deaf, dumb and blind you should be able to figure it out.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:54 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Access to things.
While I don't live in the metro, I can see that. I do live within an hour of downtown Minneapolis while living just outside of the metro in a town (Northfield) that is freestanding - ie, not part of the sprawl in any way, though it has become a bedroom community. Lots of people here work in the Cities. I did for many years. Anyway, part of the appeal of Northfield is the proximity to all that the metro offers - the shopping, the culture, the dining, the airport, and so forth - while still being its own self-contained community. I like it here, but if Northfield was located in the western half of the state, I would not like it nearly as much. I want the amenities of the big city reasonably convenient to where I am. So it's no leap for me to understand those that want to live not just fairly close to it but in it.

My older son is an artist and lives in Minneapolis for the art scene. Northfield is actually extremely vibrant, for a city of 20,000, when it comes to the arts. But, of course, it cannot compare to the heart of the metro.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:10 PM

1,186 posts, read 956,706 times
As someone who grew up in the suburbs and then moved into Minneapolis for several years (as a single person, no kids), the draw for me was proximity and walkability. For me it was worth it to be able to bike to the stone arch bridge in the evening, or Lake of the Isles/Uptown. I wanted to live in a more populated area with quicker direct access to parks, entertainment, recreation, etc. The tradeoff was having to live in a much older apartment and in worse condition than one which would have been located outside of the city limits.

For people who are concerned about getting the best price for square foot, a newer construction home, space to keep cars, access to higher quality schools and space to breathe, the suburbs make a lot more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul