Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,729 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Looks like I'll be moving to Minneapolis shortly for a nice promotion.

SWF, early 30's, will be traveling a lot for work out of MSP airport.

I'm looking at some nice (at least from the pictures ) apartments on Hennepin and 3rd ave, right next to Whole Foods.

Two biggest concerns are:

1) how safe is that area? I keep on hearing about the relatively high murder and violent crime rate in Minneapolis, so a bit worried about it.

2) is it a good place to be for a single over 30 woman? I'm over the dive bar scene at this point, but wound't mind lounges, jazz clubs and such other trendy venues.

Another option as a place to live would be Edina. I know it's safe, close to the airport and downtown and I could keep my car without shelling out extra cash for parking garage. I'm not a big drinker, so driving out to the city wouldn't be a big deal. But I certainly wouldn't want to be isolated from the social scene, which might be the case in Edina.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 AM

102 posts, read 116,770 times
Downtown is statistically the least safe place in Minneapolis. That doesn't mean it's inherently unsafe.

It's got about 10x the activity as any other single area in the metro, so crime happens. Have I ever felt unsafe there? No, but I'm a linebacker. I will say that it can feel eerie at night, because in a large majority of downtown, nobody is around after 7pm.

Is it "fun?" Depends on where you are coming from. I find the nightlife a terrible mix of trashy, sports crowds, and a handful of nouvelle yuppie. The day life... is non existent. Daytime during the weekends is like "last man on earth." However when I was young and I had moved to the city from Fargo, I thought it was amazing. Moving back from NYC/SF/Tokyo/LA... not so much.

That said, there is a jazz club that is one of the better ones in the country - the Dakota. If I'm reading you right, I think you are looking for places like Marvel Bar, Rouge at the Lounge, and Cafe Maude.

Is it better than Edina for a single... probably. But why not some other city neighborhood? I think east isles, lowry hill are better areas to live. Also the north loop, if you want to be closer to downtown.

Last edited by Hosken Powell; 02-19-2016 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,423 times
Yeah there are neighborhoods between DT and Edina that would suit you better IMO. The Southwest quadrant of the city itself is great, safe, lots of small cafes and restaurants, the lakes for running, biking, swimming etc.

Edina is the upper class suburb. But it borders the nicer parts of the city as well.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:59 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,146,933 times
it hasn't been fun since moby's was torn down. others might disagree

Old 02-19-2016, 10:16 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
It's safe. Most of the crime comes from the bars and clubs nearby. There's a lot of debate about Minneapolis' relatively high crime rate. I'll just say that it has a way safer feel than most other cities in the US. What happens and what's reported may be different.

It will be dead quiet on the weekends during the day, as you're right on the edge of the central business district there. Fun? I'll leave that to someone closer to your age.

I agree that there are neighborhoods between downtown and Edina that would be good choices for you. Look around south Minneapolis closer to the lakes.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Downtown is not unsafe compared to other cities. Any issues that due arise are with the post club close 2pm drunk crowd. I will say that our downtown is somewhat of a ghost town outside of M-F business hours. This has a long history, but is mostly because of the mall of america and our general investment in our suburbs around here. So in my opinion, downtown can be a fun place to visit a club, but a rather sleepy place to live. Those who are moving to downtown are moving to the North Loop area.

Might I suggest looking just over the hennepin ave. bridge to the northeast neighborhood, or even uptown. These areas have more day to day amenities, while also being vibrant and close to downtown.

Edina is nice, but expensive and carries a rich/snooty connotation.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:49 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,661,176 times
I would also suggest looking at North Loop as well as Loring Park. Both are nice areas to live and in close proximity to stores and restaurants. Also, I don't really see anything wrong with the area by Whole Foods either. It has changed for the better by great measure over the past decade and continues to do so. Obviously a lot of people like living Downtown, even the Central Business District, since they are building high rise apartments, condos and hotels all over the place these days. I wouldn't say that all of Downtown is dead during the weekend, just certain parts of it that consist more of office buildings.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:32 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
Downtown is statistically the least safe place in Minneapolis. That doesn't mean it's inherently unsafe.

It's got about 10x the activity as any other single area in the metro, so crime happens. Have I ever felt unsafe there? No, but I'm a linebacker. I will say that it can feel eerie at night, because in a large majority of downtown, nobody is around after 7pm.

Is it "fun?" Depends on where you are coming from. I find the nightlife a terrible mix of trashy, sports crowds, and a handful of nouvelle yuppie. The day life... is non existent. Daytime during the weekends is like "last man on earth." However when I was young and I had moved to the city from Fargo, I thought it was amazing. Moving back from NYC/SF/Tokyo/LA... not so much.
This.

Plus I'd add downtown can feel eerie during the day as well.

Noticed an issue with youngish guys who would follow you around like a shadow presumably waiting for an opportunity to mug or corner you and force you to give them money. As long as they know that you know they are there they didn't approach.

The presence of police downtown can seem nonexistent at times, but there are cameras everywhere. I guess the idea is to make sure the criminals get caught over the visual deterrent to prevent crimes?

The library is really nice, but I know they have had problems in the past with crime/homeless. Although that happens in a lot of cities.

Overall it felt like a safe city. Even the Ventura/Phillips area people told me was a bit sketchy seemed perfectly fine to me.

Uptown or Loring Park are pretty good areas if you can afford them. Downtown is better if you plan on not having to go outside during the winter.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,729 times
Thanks for replies everyone.

So would you say it's a good idea not to walk around downtown on my own after dark then?

In Chicago/NYC/Boston is would not be a problem, how about Minneapolis?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Thanks for replies everyone.

So would you say it's a good idea not to walk around downtown on my own after dark then?

In Chicago/NYC/Boston is would not be a problem, how about Minneapolis?
not without reflective clothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul