Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 PM

534 posts, read 484,736 times

Advertisements

I noticed a couple of posts that alluded to the bad part, or "not so hot" part of Eden Prairie. I was wondering where these places are. I have lived in Eden Prairie for 5 years and am curious as to what part is "bad", and also, what is it about this area that makes it the "bad" part.

Just wondering and curious...thanks!

Joanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 03:57 PM

7 posts, read 28,193 times
There have been a LOT of problems in the Section 8 housing with cultural differences and problems in some of the schools and people being uncomfortable in the local parks. Is it somewhere just south of the Mall possibly? I can't tell you exactly where the crime problems are, but my understanding is that it is just south of Wal-Mart in some apartments there..... I have been told about this by people who live in Eden Prairie.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks Debral, I am not familar with the Section 8 housing area nor do I have any kids, so I guess that is why I had not heard of the trouble. About the local parks, I do know two people who had their cars victimized by a "smash and grab" type of crime at Round Lake (they were walking together and did not see see the crime), and were told by the police that car break-ins have increased immensely in the area and that it was better to leave car doors unlocked (valuables removed of course).

Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM

450 posts, read 1,897,825 times
Bad part of Eden Prairie... I almost fell out of my chair when I read that! It's been 6-7 years since I lived in MSP, but Eden Prairie was 100% safe when I lived there... has it really changed that much?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Hockeyfan, I myself would never, ever call it bad...even with the car break-ins I was familiar with. That is why I was curious about Eden Prairie having "bad" parts. I asked my neighbor, who has high school age kids about trouble at schools, she said there is some problems where some immigrants hang together as a group and are thus perceived as a "gang". She did not seem concerned, and I do not know any specifics. I myself have had no problems with any kind of crime whatsover, except for the *&^%$ deer and rabbits eating everything I plant.

I have lived here five years but before that I lived in Minneapolis so Eden Prairie would have a long, long, LONG way to go before I would consider it bad. However, the police say that there is a huge rise in crimes like purse snatchings in stores and car break-ins. And perhaps, if I lived near the Section 8 housing or knew someone who did, I might have a different persepctive. Actually, I would not like to live near any apartment buildings/townhomes where the units were not mostly owner-occupied, as I think renters in general have a much different attitude towards property than home owners (which is understandable).

Joanna

Old 04-23-2008, 09:37 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,738,025 times
oh man this thread has a lot of hilarity potential.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 AM

432 posts, read 1,654,605 times
Well, can anyone point out where is the Section 8 housing is? In addition, from personal experiences there are some people that I used to talk to in which I perceived to them to be bad people just because of their attitude toward me. Don't bash me for this, but as a graduate from EPHS, the Somalis and Hispanics hang out with their group right next to the ELL classroom! I had some problems with Somalis and some of them are nice particularly the girls who are easier for me to get along with...

One problem I had with ths Somali guy was that he stole a can of pop from me and I tried to get it back, then he punched me in the lips...

Even though, a part of me doesn't want to label all Somali teenagers in one category, it is pretty difficult when you had some bad experiences with one or a few members of the Somali community.

In my personal opinion, I don't like to go to the Westwind Apartments and the Eden Lake park.

P.S. I was wondering is there anybody from EP that is around my age that is using this forum and I'm turning 19 this year?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Bad part of Eden Prairie... I almost fell out of my chair when I read that! It's been 6-7 years since I lived in MSP, but Eden Prairie was 100% safe when I lived there... has it really changed that much?
We always joked about living in the "slums" of Eden Prairie (we owned a small townhouse just south of Pioneer Trail and north of Franlo Park in southeast Eden Prairie), but we weren't serious about it.

I'd also be surprised about any truly bad areas. We left in 2004, so it wasn't that long ago, and things seemed fine both where we lived and (as far as we could tell) around Eden Prairie Center, and according to City Data the crime index has actually been going down over the past several years (no data for 2006 or 2007 yet, unfortunately).

Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM

41 posts, read 162,502 times
Well I'm not from EP, I live out by Victoriahhh, but I'm 18 too. Sorry about those Somalians, dude, did you punch him back? You gotta learn how to fight for your soda.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 PM

432 posts, read 1,654,605 times
Well, I need to work out and I need to learn how to fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul