Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 10:34 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I take issue with this statement.

BUT...that is entirely a different topic, I think we can both agree on that.

Back on topic: Walz has now said he wants 5000 tests per day in MN before he "opens Minnesota back up".
Well I could be wrong. I don’t think so but I guess we’ll never know.

Last edited by Glenfield; 04-15-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
BINGO. I agree with all of that. Americans were doing those jobs and were fighting for better conditions and wages when their unions were busted.

But again, different topic/discussion.
Well, that’s unfortunate. As I said, those are the kind of jobs that first generation immigrants usually take. Seems like the outbreak is tied to the working conditions in the plant and not the fault of the people working there.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Well, that’s unfortunate. As I said, those are the kind of jobs that first generation immigrants usually take. Seems like the outbreak is tied to the working conditions in the plant and not the fault of the people working there.
It's tied to both. The workers do work in close proximity to each other making it a problem. The other and much bigger problem is the fluidity that this work force has moving in and out of the city. They are constantly travelling to visit others of their particular ethnic background whether it's to the Twin Cities, Chicago, or down to the southern U.S. including back to Mexico.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's tied to both. The workers do work in close proximity to each other making it a problem. The other and much bigger problem is the fluidity that this work force has moving in and out of the city. They are constantly travelling to visit others of their particular ethnic background whether it's to the Twin Cities, Chicago, or down to the southern U.S. including back to Mexico.
The border to Mexico is closed to non essential travel but whatever. I understand completely where you are coming from. I don’t agree but I understand. https://apnews.com/9c99d9ead1d95482f07ad7be445d29cf

Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 PM

Good news!

Quote:
A day after Gov. Tim Walz set 5,000 COVID-19 daily diagnostic tests with ample antibody testing capacity as the benchmark required to reopen the state for business, Mayo Clinic says it is confident it will be able to help fulfill that volume of testing.
https://www.postbulletin.com/life/he...38e022854.html

Old 04-16-2020, 02:03 PM

It looks like Gov Walz trusts his fellow Democratic governors more than he trusts the Mayo Clinic. Why would we partner with states like Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky? They aren’t our “neighbors.”

https://twitter.com/govtimwalz/statu...452557312?s=21

Old 04-16-2020, 02:03 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
This is a very good thing. It mirrors regional collaborations in the Northeast and the West Coast.

Quote:
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) on Thursday announced the latest coalition of regional governors who will collaborate on a plan for reopening their states’ economies after the coronavirus pandemic subsides.

The alliance will include Pritzker, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D), Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R), Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb (R), Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D), Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers (D) and Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D).

“We are doing everything we can to protect the people of our states and slow the spread of COVID-19, and we are eager to work together to mitigate the economic crisis this virus has caused in our region,” the governors said in a joint statement.
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ning-economies

Old 04-16-2020, 02:28 PM

520 posts, read 775,902 times
Quote:
It looks like Gov Walz trusts his fellow Democratic governors more than he trusts the Mayo Clinic. Why would we partner with states like Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky? They aren’t our “neighbors.”

https://twitter.com/govtimwalz/statu...452557312?s=21
It's a very convenient way for a weak governor to avoid having to make tough or convtroversial decisions on his own like a big boy.

In addition to Mayo, we have the state's very own modeling data that the governor claims is so much better. Yet, he still follows what Tony Evers, et al. do instead of what the model suggests.

www.liberatemn.com

Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
This is a very good thing. It mirrors regional collaborations in the Northeast and the West Coast.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ning-economies
It seems very odd that we would choose to partner with Ohio and Kentucky over our true neighbors in Iowa and the Dakotas. We share a border with one of these so-called partner states and conditions here in Minnesota are closer to those in the border states than this group. There doesn’t seem to be any explanation for how this group was chosen.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:12 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times
Quote:
It seems very odd that we would choose to partner with Ohio and Kentucky over our true neighbors in Iowa and the Dakotas. We share a border with one of these so-called partner states and conditions here in Minnesota are closer to those in the border states than this group. There doesn’t seem to be any explanation for how this group was chosen.
More political grandstanding. Iowa and the Dakotas didn't hand down a stay at home order so they need to be excluded from the cool kids clique like the fat kid on the recess playground.

Freggin' joke. Get this state back open NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul