Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 07:19 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I want to get behind the Dems this year, because I can't stand Trump, but the fact that they struggled to condemn her racism makes them look just as bad as the GOP. Both parties have racists, and as long as the Dems support people like Omar, they have no room to call Republicans racist.
If you’re referring to her Tweets which were considered anti-semitic, they were condemned by democrats, leading to an apology by Rep. Omar.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/11/69348...-anti-semitism

Old 07-27-2020, 08:01 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Coming back from down south yesterday we were driving through Minneapolis on 35W and we see this rusted out POS SUV weaving in and out of the lanes at high speed with the driver waving his arms out the window. It was a bunch of Somalians and they had a big Omar re-election poster stuck to the back window with duct tape. I felt like I was driving in Mogadishu waiting for the rival warlords to pull up and open fire at any moment.

Minneapolis, 2020. Gotta love it. Or not.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Coming back from down south yesterday we were driving through Minneapolis on 35W and we see this rusted out POS SUV weaving in and out of the lanes at high speed with the driver waving his arms out the window. It was a bunch of Somalians and they had a big Omar re-election poster stuck to the back window with duct tape. I felt like I was driving in Mogadishu waiting for the rival warlords to pull up and open fire at any moment.

The Cities remind them of their real home.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:

Have to wonder if her own community hates her now. Don't they stone and hang women who divorce their husbands in her culture?

Add into that, she married a non-Muslim as well. I can't imagine her people in Cedar-Riverside like her much anymore, and I think she's stepped on a lot of toes at this point.

Also, looking at how much she's getting beat out in funding by Hyphenated 'Cotton Picking' and 'Whites Only' signs guy seems like quite a lot to me.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 AM

82 posts, read 51,889 times
Quote:

LOL. Minneapolis and Mogadishu are about equivalent in the POS deparment.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:16 AM

82 posts, read 51,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Have to wonder if her own community hates her now. Don't they stone and hang women who divorce their husbands in her culture?

Add into that, she married a non-Muslim as well. I can't imagine her people in Cedar-Riverside like her much anymore, and I think she's stepped on a lot of toes at this point.

Also, looking at how much she's getting beat out in funding by Hyphenated 'Cotton Picking' and 'Whites Only' signs guy seems like quite a lot to me.
I still expect her to win, and perhaps handily. Her Somalis will take the same approach that Cano's Latinos and Latinas took 3 years ago. Even though Cano's behavior was reprehensible, she is a Latina in a heavily Latino/Latina ward and for that reason, she was re-elected.

Fortunately, Omar's district is much broader than Cedar-Riverside. But still, trust that the Dem machine will pull whatever dirty tricks they need to pull behind the scenes to keep her in office.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono-Italiano View Post
I still expect her to win, and perhaps handily.
It wouldn't surprise me.....not one bit. That is a lost city/district if I ever saw one. They're reaping what they've sown.....the problem is the rest of the world attaches all of Minnesota to that imbecile, thinking we're somehow involved with putting her into power. It's embarrassing to try and explain the DFL playbook to outsiders.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:06 PM

128 posts, read 113,384 times
We need her voice? She missed how many votes? Doesn't sound like she's voicing much.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
The claims in the recent anti-Omar ad are found to be true by KSTP.

https://kstp.com/politics/truth-test...-2020/5815542/

Old 08-06-2020, 12:02 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
An update on the primary in MNCD5 from WCCO’s Blois Olson.

Quote:
CD5TAKE: One of the most asked questions for the past month is “Can Anotone Melton-Meaux win? The short answer is - maybe.

In a previous era, Rep. Ilhan Omar would be in deep trouble in next week’s DFL primary, however its 2020 so nothing quite makes sense. If there is a place where the Democratic Party is rapidly showing they no longer represent mainstream views its Minnesota’s Fifth District.

Behind the scenes Omar has frustrated many in her party, including Attorney General Keith Ellison and DFL Chair Ken Martin. However, when someone has the DFL endorsement, the party is “all-in”, regardless of ethics questions or divisive personality.

Despite traditional questions about whether a challenger could make a race of it - Antone Melton-Meaux has done that. About a two weeks ago, panic set in for Omar – she called on Ellison and the DFL to go on the attack to save her seat for her. They obliged. After all, party loyalty is important, and so is Ilhan’s base in the general election. That however infers that Melton-Meaux wouldn’t have the same base if he wins. He would.

Based on history, and numbers Omar is the favorite, however there are signs she is more vulnerable than the DFL and her campaign is willing to acknowledge. There hasn’t been any independent polling in the race.

Melton-Meaux has raised more money and his campaign came on faster than Omar expected, that’s the best way to surprise an incumbent.

Media momentum and buzz don’t win elections, votes do, so here’s a couple angles on the voting in CD5.

In 2018, Omar won with 48 percent. In second, Margaret Anderson Kelliher had 30 percent. In third place State Sen. Patricia Torres Ray had 13 percent. Four other candidates made up the final 9 percent.

In 2018 there was a competitive DFL primary for Governor – which boosted turnout. Erin Murphy won CD5 with 42 percent of the vote. There were over 135K votes in the CD5 primary, without the primary for Governor it’s unlikely that there will be that many votes this year.

There are two legislative primaries in Minneapolis one on the North side in the House for HD59B in SD60 on the South side where the civil unrest and riots happened. In 2018, Omar won these districts with over 60 percent. Add in a special election in Ward 6, a city Ward that includes the Cedar-Riverside area and signs are that Omar’s voters will turn out in key areas.

Melton-Meaux has to gain ground in the suburbs works with St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Golden Valley, but other suburban cities just haven’t had strong DFL turnout in primaries. Add in South Minneapolis and Northeast Minneapolis, as Melton-Meaux’s must wins with high turnout. Turnout has to be higher, assuming Omar racks up votes in districts with local primaries.

There is also more general awareness about this race than there was 2 years ago, but the head-to-head nature creates an advantage for Omar.

Assume at least 30 percent fewer voters than 2018, that means ~94,500 votes will be cast.

Omar won with 48 percent in 2018 and her support has likely at least slipped 3-5 points.

Forecast that lesser funded/known DFL candidates like John Mason won’t get more than 6 percent of the total vote. (In 2018, 9 percent included State Sen. Bobby Jo Champion). That means 94 percent of the vote to divide between Omar and Melton-Meaux.

If Erin Murphy’s 42 percent is the floor for a DFL endorsed candidate, that means that there is 58 percent of voters who don’t always support the DFL endorsed candidate. Walz had almost 40 percent, and Lori Swanson had 16 percent.

If Melton-Meaux and Omar split ~94 percent of the vote. Assume that Melton-Meaux gets the 30 percent that Anderson Kelliher had. So he needs a path to at least 47 percent of the vote. That’s a high number for a challenger in a party primary, but if Omar’s approval rating is low (a strong guess would be 45 percent among DFL primary voters) and Melton-Meaux attracts some voters who haven’t traditionally voted in the DFL primary. He’s got a chance. Which is more than anyone thought two months ago and within striking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul