U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,352,565 times

Advertisements

This afternoon, and tomorrow morning is your last chance to hear this classic bridge's song. This 50's era through-truss bridge, with it's "singing" deck made out of a see-through steel grate, is closing permanently Friday at 10 AM.

The current bridge was built in the 50's on piers that were originally constructed in 1905. One of those century-old piers is no longer stable, having shifted almost a foot in the past several years.

I'm going to miss this bridge. I always thought it was fun to look down through the deck and be able see the water beneath you.

I'm going to try to take some final pictures tomorrow morning.

Story: Say goodbye to another bridge: Lowry closing Friday (http://www.startribune.com/local/18140934.html - broken link)
Other link: Welcome to the Lowry Avenue Bridge Website

There's talk of building a cable-stayed bridge (a type of suspension bridge), or through-arch bridge (similar to the Robert St bridge over the Mississippi, or the Hwy 77 bridges over the Minnesota river) to replace it. However, with the economy as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if they just build a plain-looking beam bridge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,217,469 times
I thought it was kind of scary crossing it personally. As long as they replace it quickly I'll be happy.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,352,565 times
Although they're closing the bridge earlier than planned, they haven't moved the replacement schedule up yet. They're still talking late 2011 for completion. Yikes!

I hope they can speed it up a little. 3 1/2 years will be a long time to be without it.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM

987 posts, read 3,664,654 times
Didn't they close this in 2001 or something?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM

638 posts, read 3,014,812 times
I love that "singing" bridge!

I'll miss it.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,521,211 times
Crime in Marshall Terrace and Bottineau will drop fairly significantly when this happens, mark my words.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,568,888 times
Default Re:

Crossing that bridge scared the bejeezus out of me back in the early 80s. I can't believe it wasn't replaced 20 years ago. Open-grid bridges like that were cheap when they were built and are ancient relics today. Good riddance.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 PM

98 posts, read 324,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
This afternoon, and tomorrow morning is your last chance to hear this classic bridge's song. This 50's era through-truss bridge, with it's "singing" deck made out of a see-through steel grate, is closing permanently Friday at 10 AM.

The current bridge was built in the 50's on piers that were originally constructed in 1905. One of those century-old piers is no longer stable, having shifted almost a foot in the past several years.

I'm going to miss this bridge. I always thought it was fun to look down through the deck and be able see the water beneath you.

I'm going to try to take some final pictures tomorrow morning.

Story: Say goodbye to another bridge: Lowry closing Friday (http://www.startribune.com/local/18140934.html - broken link)
Other link: Welcome to the Lowry Avenue Bridge Website

There's talk of building a cable-stayed bridge (a type of suspension bridge), or through-arch bridge (similar to the Robert St bridge over the Mississippi, or the Hwy 77 bridges over the Minnesota river) to replace it. However, with the economy as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if they just build a plain-looking beam bridge.
I thought the bridge was scary when I was younger. My grandparents had a major accident on that bridge in the 60's,they said it used to get real icy and slippery in the winter. The tires were probably not so good back then. MnDot should close and replace every older bridge after last summer.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,215,899 times
Most of the older bridges are just as good as the new ones they build. Age doesn't collapse a bridge, deferred maintenence does. I would be just fine driving the Stone Arch, even 1000 years from now.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM

98 posts, read 324,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Most of the older bridges are just as good as the new ones they build. Age doesn't collapse a bridge, deferred maintenence does. I would be just fine driving the Stone Arch, even 1000 years from now.
Well I hope they start doing more detailed inspections of those bridges. I'm sure the collapse is in the back of most peoples minds, who drive those bridges on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul