Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
No, i've never been, that's why i'm asking for your help....
Why don't you contact a realtor if your serious? They will be able to give the correct information. Unless your just bored and like to post without getting any correct information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,003 times
Quote:
No, i've never been, that's why i'm asking for your help....
The Twin Cities are a bit of a time capsule in a certain sense, it is a very pleasant area with a strong sense of community and "place" where people can feel comfortable and at home, although for people just coming in it will take a while to crack the midwestern reserve and to make friends. Those are friends you will have for life, however. It was one of the last areas of the US to be significantly populated and still clings to some European roots, so people aren't as mobile here and are more tied to neighborhoods and childhood friendships. It is also a very egalitarian society - comfort is more important than showing off or having pretty toys.

Corporate recruiters have always said that it is very difficult to get people who live here to move to another city, or to get people who live outside the Twin Cities to come here -- but that once they are settled in, they don't want to leave, either. Most of us have had the experiences you seem to be looking for with your family. We just don't need the gates.

So I think the question you should be asking, is "where in the Twin Cities is there the strongest sense of community, that is family-friendly and has a lot to do, with a reasonable commute to Golden Valley?" Edina around the 50/France area is good, as well as southwest Minneapolis (Linden Hills neighborhood) and southwest Bloomington. All are easily within your apparent price range. Also St. Louis Park and Hopkins, and those are more affordable.

Gated communties around here tend to be exclusive and for the very wealthy, and in that respect I suspect (but don't have the personal knowledge) that you'd find those places are rather cold - populated by people who are very busy with their careers, or executive types that move around a lot and don't have a commitment to where the are at the moment. Or people like yourself who are used to gated communities elsewhere but aren't aware they'd just be locking themselves into a sterile place. Not bad people, perhaps, but just not "there" for others.

You do seem to be coming off as a bit of a "princess" and that's rubbing a few people the wrong way -- you can say things on the Internet you'd never say in real life. I don't know you so I can't make that call, and I've known enough people from other countries to know that it could just be a communications barrier. Its easy to jump to conclusions because you want to live in a gated community (which has a much different perception here than it would elsewhere...to us it means "elitist snob") and I'm trying to back away from that "the peasants are revolted" attitude on my part (just had to get that in -- 'twas too clever a thing to say to ignore, don't take it personal I just like language).

Last edited by Haver; 04-29-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
There'll be a realtor assigned to your move anyway so don't worry. Here the mantra is work hard, play hard, and to some extent, get outdoors. I know of one, sorta gated I guess, community off Golden Valley road by the Courage Center that butts up to the West side of Theodore Wirth Park.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,387 times
I'm really surprised people are jumping on you for asking your question. I'm a little insulted for you (way to welcome someone to the state...).

Anyhow, I have lived in MN my whole life and think many of the people here are fantastic, down-to-earth folk who have unfortunately had someone steal their lunch one too many times and cannot understand why someone might want to live in areas of town where they can enjoy the benefits of their hard work. Many people these days are so quick to settle and your attitude for the best-of-the-best, which in my opinion everyone deserves but many people aren't willing to get, is a turn off.

The fact you are from out-of-state, and an immigrant at that, also comes into play. I know my fair share of immigrants and the ones I closely associate with are some of the most hard working and ambitious people I've ever met. They came to this country with a huge desire for success and they don't allow others to steal their dream. They're the ones you see living in nice neighborhoods and sending their kids to top schools. They know they are entitled to the best and will take advantage of the fact that "normal" folks don't seem to feel and act on that same entitlement. I tend to think most states are unlike MN, so most likely you're used to a different thought process than us here.

Anyway, my point.

You should come into any new state or town with the intention of finding the very best location for you and your family. The catch is that to everyone, based on their needs and financial capabilities, the best-of-the-best is really different. No one walks into a new environment and says "Hey, can you tell me where the worst possible place to live will be cause I'm totally interested in moving there."

And I'm highly shocked that people are taking issue with the fact that you are asking for relocation advice. There are numerous threads and posts regarding the fact that realtors are of little value in determining the ideal places for people to live and aside from that...this is a relocation site isn't it? A place where you can find information from people who actually live in the areas you are looking for. This is a site where HUNDREDS of people ask about neighborhood opinions. Why wouldn't any intelligent person want to hear straight from the horse's mouth?

I guess I'm just disappointed. I have really appreciated all the help that people have given me and I've enjoyed reading other threads with great, helpful information. It's too bad that that help is not equal opportunity advice/help.

I'm sorry I can't shed too much light on the type of community you might be looking for. Without too much detail I can only suggest that if you need to stay near Golden Valley I'd recommend sticking with the western suburbs. The area around Lake Minnetonka will have the most wealthy professionals...Southwest Mpls has wealthy professionals who don't choose to live in 10,000 square foot mansions. Already mentioned and I'll ditto: Bearpath in Eden Prairie and Interlachen in Edina. I knew people who lived in Interlachen and I have family who live at Bearpath...Both beautiful. Interlachen seems more "mature" than Bearpath. I might agree with others that in ultra-upscale communities like these you're likely to run into many busy folk or find people to be in their groove and not as interested in "making friends" but that could just be plain wrong. I can't attest to whether those types of areas hold neighborhood events or whatnot, nor can I tell you if you'll find many children. Being that you have young kids, I'd recommend sticking with less pretentious-type areas...maybe Edina (it's still a wealthy area just not Lake Minnetonka reputation) or Eden Prairie. Chanhassen supposedly has some nice developments. I don't know much about Plymouth, Hopkins or St Louis Park...they're decent places to live I just don't know much about them. Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to do some property listing searches around the western suburbs (do a search of Hennepin County) and then you can get a feel of the homes in those cities and narrow your search down to particular cities.

Last edited by MNNative; 04-29-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
We lived in a gated community in Scottsdale, AZ. Just like the 'feeling' of living in a gated community. You know everyone there, your kids go to the same school, etc.
Just about any organized subdivision would give you that feeling, I would think.

Most of the areas I lived in the Twin Cities didn't even have "subdivisions" per se, which is really different from down here in the Atlanta metro where people sometimes identify more closely with their subdivision than the city in which they live. The fact that the majority of the suburbs here are unincorporated (no level of city government at all, just the county) might explain some of that...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I know of one, sorta gated I guess, community off Golden Valley road by the Courage Center that butts up to the West side of Theodore Wirth Park.
I don't know the name of this off hand, but it looks like a nice gated community. That might be worth looking into considering it takes the guesswork out of commuting time.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:00 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNative View Post
I don't know the name of this off hand, but it looks like a nice gated community. That might be worth looking into considering it takes the guesswork out of commuting time.
Yeah but even there they let anyone in, I know.

Pia: Wait until you get here. Tour the lakes area and you'll see why nobody wants to live in a gated community.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Yeah but even there they let anyone in, I know.

Pia: Wait until you get here. Tour the lakes area and you'll see why nobody wants to live in a gated community.
If your point for a gated community is security, then sure, not all of them are going to stack up. If it's strictly for "community/neighborhood" feel than everyone here is right, you can probably find that in any regular no-gate home. Some people like physical gates and some people like organized subdivisions and others just want a house on land in a neighborhood. Nothing wrong with either.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Pia Pia started this thread

19 posts, read 156,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Why don't you contact a realtor if your serious? They will be able to give the correct information. Unless your just bored and like to post without getting any correct information.
Hey, what's your problem??!!!??

Isn't this a site for questions about relocation, neighborhoods/cities, etc??!!??

Old 05-04-2008, 05:46 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
If you want to live in an exclusive area with a bunch of snobby rich people you should check out North Oaks. Personally, if I HAD to live in a wealthy area I'd choose a home on Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul