Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Pia Pia started this thread

19 posts, read 156,077 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Me and my family are relocating to the Minneapolis area. My husband will be working in Golden Valley.

I wanted to know which are the best of the best places/neighborhoods/cities to live in Hennepin County. Also, my oldest will be attending pre-school, and we are thinking of a good Catholic private school. Anyone knows of one in the area?

Thank you all very much,

Pia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Well, the best of the best would be on Lake Minnetonka in Wayzata or other towns on the lake. Probably looking at $5+million for a home there, is that what you are considering?

The public schools here are excellent so if you are thinking you will get a better education at the Catholic school you might not. If you are going there for the religious aspects, great. Check out the Minneapolis/St. Paul Diocese website for school listings on that side of the cities.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:42 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,003 times
Outside of a few central city neighborhoods and some areas of first tier suburbs which could go either way, its pretty much all good - the Twin Cities grades on a high curve, including their school systems. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's it was common not to lock your doors, for example.

What do you mean by "best of the best". That means different things depending on your income and personality, and if you're looking for a sterile suburb or trendy city experience or "just plain folks", and what kind of house you want.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 PM

534 posts, read 488,860 times
It's kind of hard to say what's the best of the best without knowing more about what you want. Best family area? Best housing values? Best lake front? Most $$$? Where the local celebs live? What exactly is "the best"?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,300 times
The Wayzata Gold Coast and Lake Mtka. in general from Excelsior to Wayzata is old estate money. Orono and Medina have the highest incomes and homes tend to be more like horse ranches, hobby farm things. That money is a little newer. Edina is older money, Indian Hills, Interlachen (both more secluded) and Country Club (more of a neighborhood feel, smaller lots with old estates) are nicest. In the city of Mpls., you have areas such as Kenwood and Isles (esp. Mount Curve Avenue).
I can't think of a comprehensive list of Catholic Elems., Carondelet in SW Mpls. and Our Lady of Grace in Edina always seems in the limelight to me. The major High Schools are DeLaSalle on Nicollet Is. (basically in the Mississippi) and Benilde-Saint Margaret's on Hwy. 100.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM

98 posts, read 334,489 times
If you could afford the best of the best I don't think you would need to ask a blog site for the information.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,672,487 times
Is Paul Majors' house still for sale? Or the one next door? Those are right on Lake of the Isles, and are convenient to several nice Catholic "academies" in Minneapolis and Golden Valley.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lereca View Post
If you could afford the best of the best I don't think you would need to ask a blog site for the information.

hahahahaha!!!! I'm searching everywhere.... We're not in MN and don't have a realtor yet. I saw the blog and just post....something wrong with that?? By the way....why should I explain to you????

Old 04-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
It's kind of hard to say what's the best of the best without knowing more about what you want. Best family area? Best housing values? Best lake front? Most $$$? Where the local celebs live? What exactly is "the best"?

We want a nice family friendly area, really safe, with upscale boutiques and restaurants.

Thank you,

xx

Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 PM

I was also thinking of living in a nice gated community, with a golf course and country club and a school inside the community; if possible.....Is there anything like this in the Hennepin County?

Thanks,

xx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul