Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 07:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TRgucHzU0o

Minnesota Nice ;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:01 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
A lawyer friend commented that getting a murder charge is going to be next to impossible, as you have to prove the intent. Basically, they'll say they didn't mean to kill him and were taught to use knees on necks to subdue someone and never knew it would kill him.
At the very least, there is going to be a wrongful death lawsuit filed (if it hasn't already) from Floyd's family against the officers.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:04 PM

64 posts, read 40,495 times
What wretched examples of the calling. My dad was a cop, and I attended the academy myself. I have no sympathy or mercy for bad cops. Lock them up. Maybe they'll survive the pen, maybe not. They earned that.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
At the very least, there is going to be a wrongful death lawsuit filed (if it hasn't already) from Floyd's family against the officers.
no, the Minneapolis tax payer will foot the bill for this as they should and so regularly do, to the tune of a few million dollars a year for the past 15 or so years.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 PM

from 2013...

https://www.pintas.com/blog/minneapo...ce-misconduct/

Police brutality lawyers at Pintas & Mullins Law Firm report that the Minneapolis City Council recently approved a $3 million settlement with the family of a man that died in an incident with the city’s police officers. The man, 28-year-old Cornelius Smith, passed away in 2010 at the downtown YMCA.

Following his death, Smith’s family filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging the officers used excessive force which eventually led to Smith’s suffocation. According to the suit, the officer’s used a controversial tactic referred to as “physical prone restraint” while trying to subdue Smith.

This tactic involves holding the arms and legs with varying pressure (depending on the circumstance) while the person being restrained lies on their front, in a face-down position. If the pressure to the back of the body is too forceful, it can become difficult to take in oxygen. Current Minnesota state law will ban prone restraint beginning in August 2013.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:02 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
First, I live in Alaska NOW but I don't "like" Alaska, it's just where the work is.

Second, before I moved to Alaska, I lived on the East Coast under Philly, DC, and Baltimore PD for almost as long as you've been alive. Yet, unlike you, I managed to be stopped for DWB, only a handful of times.

Your turn.
Terrific news by you. The point is, I've been stopped a bunch for various reasons, and somehow have come out unscathed. It's really not that hard if you LISTEN and don't act like an idiot causing the cops to have more fear than they already have. And the one time it even went so far as to get put up against the car and patted down is because my friend in the front passenger seat had a bit of a smart mouth.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

must have been too tall of an order to lift Mr. Floyd the three feet into the cop car with only three people.

what a gang of cruel animals in the MPD force...MPD chief should be held accountable for recruiting these salvages to serve its people......

Old 05-27-2020, 09:23 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
I’m from St Louis, where we experienced the unrest centered in Ferguson following the killing of Michael Brown by local police.
The video of that pleading man being suffocated to death has left us all shaken to the core. Sickened. People of Minneapolis: We totally understand your outrage and the public demonstrations. Those police officers— the very people whose job is protecting the citizens of your city— are nothing but racist murderers. They must not get off with a slap on the wrist. They should be punished to the full extent of the law. Truly a sad time for Minneapolis—and for America.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
He must've really pissed these cops off and they responded with force that he never thought would happen. In the heat of it, they got a little carried away. But does anyone notice that much like the Rodney King situation, the other 2 occupants got out of the car completely unscathed.

I'll be curious to hear the whole story when it comes out. AT most 2 cops will likely see prison, but likely get sentences somewhere between Jason Van Dyke in Chicago's 7 year sentence, and less that the 20 years the cop got in the Walter School shooting. Anybody who thinks they are going away for life on Murder 1 is delusional, emotional, and has no concept of law.

ANd then of course the family will get a pay day. It's funny how these guys that get killed, are never worth much, and in fact are worth a lot more dead than alive

Last edited by jacktravern; 05-27-2020 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Missing Sentence

Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
what a gang of cruel animals in the MPD force...MPD chief should be held accountable for recruiting these salvages to serve its people......
Chief Arrandondo is relatively new to the position and once successfully suedthe Dept for their discrimination culture along with four other black officers. He appears to be fighting for change and fired the four officers at relatively breakneck speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul