Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2020, 03:44 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,654,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Why would you? There's a global pandemic happening right now. Attractions are closed. All major festivals and events are cancelled for 2020. There's nothing for you to do or see, anyway.
Exactly why we just spent a week in Wisconsin and are going back right after the 4th of July. People took precautions but life was a lot more normal than MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 03:44 PM

4,817 posts, read 6,822,574 times
Quote:
Why would you? There's a global pandemic happening right now. Attractions are closed. All major festivals and events are cancelled for 2020. There's nothing for you to do or see, anyway.
The main reason for not coming to the TC's is not the pandemic as MOST everyone could clearly read in my post. Hopefully business owners and their employees can salvage their hard earned livelihoods somewhat in the near future. Thanks to your feckless leaders, the only people that have any real freedoms are the protesters and the looters. Still, we can't be too hard on the looters and rioters. As we know they were just shopping without a credit card. When the building was emptied, there was no reason for it to stand anymore, so they burnt it down with the blessing of the mayor, the governor, and flock of fools known as the Minneapolis City Council. In place of the buildings, they can now plant trees to hug, flower gardens, and monuments to criminals and liberals.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,057,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The main reason for not coming to the TC's is not the pandemic as MOST everyone could clearly read in my post.
Exactly, and what I'm saying is that your reasoning is based on false perceptions. Aside from the threat of coronavirus, the Twin Cities is a very safe metro area and will continue to be.

It's been weeks now since the riots, and while some cities across the US are still embroiled in scattered rioting and mass protests, it's been largely quiet and peaceful in Minneapolis since the curfew was lifted June 5. I live in the heart of Minneapolis and I can confirm that everything is fine. If you lived here and saw what was happening with your own eyes, you'd be astonished by how quickly members of the community cleaned up the immediate mess following the arsons and looting. Minneapolitans are a very civic-minded community and are quick to help in any way we can. Despite the scale of damage in certain areas, most of the city was unaffected.

Except for the widescale political fallout happening in Minneapolis and the state legislature, you'd otherwise never know we are at the center of a global social movement by conditions on the ground and day-to-day life in the city.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Exactly, and what I'm saying is that your reasoning is based on false perceptions. Aside from the threat of coronavirus, the Twin Cities is a very safe metro area and will continue to be.

It's been weeks now since the riots, and while some cities across the US are still embroiled in scattered rioting and mass protests, it's been largely quiet and peaceful in Minneapolis since the curfew was lifted June 5. I live in the heart of Minneapolis and I can confirm that everything is fine. If you lived here and saw what was happening with your own eyes, you'd be astonished by how quickly members of the community cleaned up the immediate mess following the arsons and looting. Minneapolitans are a very civic-minded community and are quick to help in any way we can. Despite the scale of damage in certain areas, most of the city was unaffected.

Except for the widescale political fallout happening in Minneapolis and the state legislature, you'd otherwise never know we are at the center of a global social movement by conditions on the ground and day-to-day life in the city.
Back in the real world, nine people were shot in Minneapolis last Tuesday, eight of them in one two-hour period. At the time of this report, a record 149 people have been shot this year in Minneapolis. Half of these shootings have occurred in the last three weeks.

https://m.startribune.com/9-people-s...eak/571320632/

Old 06-20-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Back in the real world, nine people were shot in Minneapolis last Tuesday, eight of them in one two-hour period. At the time of this report, a record 149 people have been shot this year in Minneapolis. Half of these shootings have occurred in the last three weeks.

https://m.startribune.com/9-people-s...eak/571320632/
I never said violent crime wasn't happening. Actual threat of danger for most residents is no different now than it was before the George Floyd murder, particularly with these shootings happening in the same predictable areas (W. Broadway in Near North, Phillips).

All this really points to is the continued legacy of racism and socioeconomic neglect in segregated and underprivileged pockets of the city.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I never said violent crime wasn't happening. Actual threat of danger for most residents is no different now than it was before the George Floyd murder, particularly with these shootings happening in the same predictable areas (W. Broadway in Near North, Phillips).

All this really points to is the continued legacy of racism and socioeconomic neglect in segregated and underprivileged pockets of the city.
So when you said it’s been “largely quiet and peaceful” you were speaking in terms of the size of the physical area involved and not the number of people affected?

To be honest, your reply reads as though no matter how bad it gets in what you call “the same predictable areas,” so long as it doesn’t impact “most residents” (white folks), it’s all good. Quiet and peaceful.

And for those of you who were wondering whether white privilege is real, take a look.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
So when you said it’s been “largely quiet and peaceful” you were speaking in terms of the size of the physical area involved and not the number of people affected?

Because your reply reads as though no matter how bad it gets in what you call “the same predictable areas,” so long as it doesn’t impact “most residents” (white folks), it’s all good. Quiet and peaceful.

And for those of you who were wondering whether white privilege is real, take a look.
You're twisting my words. Yes, the violence in affected areas is bad. I specifically pointed out the fact that systemic racism and a legacy of corruption in law enforcement is a core factor in this whole mess. It's the entire reason why protests and rioting began in the first place.

In comparison to the short span of time when the city was on fire, it is largely quiet and peaceful. There seems to be this perception on City-Data that the Twin Cities is a war zone, which is obviously no longer the case. That was the point I was trying to make. But alas, a lot people on this forum are extreme alt-right conservatives, and their posts reflect that mentality.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
You're twisting my words. Yes, the violence in affected areas is bad. I specifically pointed out the fact that systemic racism and a legacy of corruption in law enforcement is a core factor in this whole mess. It's the entire reason why protests and rioting began in the first place.

In comparison to the short span of time when the city was on fire, it is largely quiet and peaceful. There seems to be this perception on City-Data that the Twin Cities is a war zone, which is obviously no longer the case. That was the point I was trying to make. But alas, a lot people on this forum are extreme alt-right conservatives, and their posts reflect that mentality.
I am not twisting your words. You don’t seem surprised at the statistics showing a spike in shootings, yet claim Minneapolis is quiet and peaceful because it’s confined to black and brown neighborhoods. That is what you said.

Oh, you used all the code language about “predictable areas”, and “the continued legacy of racism,” and “socioeconomic neglect in segregated and underprivileged pockets of the city” but when you strip it down, what you said is if white people aren’t being affected by the violence, then the city is peaceful and quiet.

Instead of complaining about racism in the abstract, own your own racism and work to overcome it.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:04 PM

29 posts, read 61,862 times
Quote:

Racism and corruption in law enforcement is not what committed the murders that are being referred to. It sounds so wonderfully informed and in keeping with what identifies oneself as a thinking and sensitive white person these days but it does nothing to reduce crime and keep people of color safer in their neighborhoods and provide them economic opportunity.

In fact, it provides an excuse for the rioting that has resulted in the destruction of numerous businesses and livelihoods that employs people in less fortunate areas of the city. Instead of engaging in pietism, demand that crime not be tolerated and support the law abiding citizens in challenged neighborhoods. A start would be a change in city leadership.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I am not twisting your words. You don’t seem surprised at the statistics showing a spike in shootings, yet claim Minneapolis is quiet and peaceful because it’s confined to black and brown neighborhoods. That is what you said.
Yes, you are.

That is not what I said. This is what you inferred and then interpreted in a way that was never my intention.

I agree I shouldn't have articulated it that way; I was simply saying in relation to the events of a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul