Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:30 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
by your logic the gated community in maple grove is the same as a neighborhood on east lake street yeah ok there bucko. makes PERFECT sense
No, what they said makes sense, in cities with same population, they have 3 times as much land. Thus cops would be more incline to live within it’s boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 04:57 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is a many-fold problem that doesn't seem to have many good solutions. The solutions look good on paper, but they wouldn't work in real life. Being a police officer is suppose to be about serving and protecting the community. However, some people get into the police force for reasons other than that. For some, it's "I can be aggressive and get paid for it".

Community policing, having people live in the communities they police, it won't work well. Police forces in large cities would have a problem.
-Many people who live in large cities don't want to be police officers. It is alot of hard work, if you do it correctly. It can be stressful.
-Many people who are police officers find it cheaper to live in the suburbs.
-In many communities, a recruiting would be an issue for another reason. One of the things that comes with crime in the big city, is a relatively high number of people with felonies. People who might take that opportunity to be a police officer, but can't due to factors that would dq them from becoming one.

I also think about this. Perception and attitudes. In America, Black people are looked down on more than anyone else. And it isn't just limited to the civilian world. There are some officers who think this way. Say what you will about crime rates regarding Black Americans. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. What I am saying that some officers feel comfortable being judge, jury, and executioner based on that. There might be some officers who have a very poor view of Blacks, based on the crime statistics. Some persons may view their own actions towards Black suspects from the perspective of "Blacks commit alot of violent crime, so why shouldn't I be more aggressive towards this guy?". I'm very aware of the crime going on in many places, and how much of it is being committed by Black criminals. I have statistical evidence. And that is something I can't do much about. Not even "get tough on crime" laws seem to help. I can only control myself.

Now, there are persons who are going to say "well, if Blacks don't want to deal with police brutality, they should just obey and/or not break laws". Well, sitting and thinking about it, this is what I would have to say. How does breaking a law warrant getting beating or treated aggressively? Now, if one is assaulting an officer, that is a different story. Do what you have to do. On the other hand, I find this to be appalling. I was schooled on how to deal with police officers when pulled over. Be polite, obey all officer commands, etc. However, when the #1 reason you're doing that is to keep the officer from assaulting you, that sets a very bad tone. It sets the tone of "treat the officer the way you treat a bear wandering into your camp". Who wants to do that? Who wants to think like that?

I also think about this. I was watching a video by a Black youtuber. He basically said "Black people can reduce how much they deal with police brutality by reducing how much they deal with police officers, reduce your need for dealing the police". What he was basically saying "Obey the law so you don't have to deal with police officers". Now, it goes without saying that everyone should obey the law. However, if your reason for obeying the law has little to do with doing the right thing, and more to do with keeping police officers away, that is the wrong reason.

I also think about this. Sometimes you can get pulled over by a police officer simply because your presence rings alarm bells. It doesn't have to be about criminal behavior or suspicious behavior. It could be "you being a certain demographic". Example, I could go somewhere as a Black person, to a town or a city where Blacks make up bare 2% of the population. Granted, I'm plenty aware of Black people, especially men, being perceived as criminals. I've very aware of the stats and how Black males are perceived in the media. I personally can't do anything about that. I don't have any control over the media. I don't have any control over stupid hood rats who insist on being criminals. tAll I can do is obey the law. My presence in a certain area could raise someone's alarm bells. Someone could call the police, because "suspicious person". Now, it depends on where I go. The neighborhood I currently live in, I've never had that happen. However, it can and in some cases, does happen.

It isn't just one problem or another problem. It is a litany of problem.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:02 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is a many-fold problem that doesn't seem to have many good solutions. The solutions look good on paper, but they wouldn't work in real life. Being a police officer is suppose to be about serving and protecting the community. However, some people get into the police force for reasons other than that. For some, it's "I can be aggressive and get paid for it".

Community policing, having people live in the communities they police, it won't work well. Police forces in large cities would have a problem.
-Many people who live in large cities don't want to be police officers. It is alot of hard work, if you do it correctly. It can be stressful.
-Many people who are police officers find it cheaper to live in the suburbs.
-In many communities, a recruiting would be an issue for another reason. One of the things that comes with crime in the big city, is a relatively high number of people with felonies. People who might take that opportunity to be a police officer, but can't due to factors that would dq them from becoming one.

I also think about this. Perception and attitudes. In America, Black people are looked down on more than anyone else. And it isn't just limited to the civilian world. There are some officers who think this way. Say what you will about crime rates regarding Black Americans. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. What I am saying that some officers feel comfortable being judge, jury, and executioner based on that. There might be some officers who have a very poor view of Blacks, based on the crime statistics. Some persons may view their own actions towards Black suspects from the perspective of "Blacks commit alot of violent crime, so why shouldn't I be more aggressive towards this guy?". I'm very aware of the crime going on in many places, and how much of it is being committed by Black criminals. I have statistical evidence. And that is something I can't do much about. Not even "get tough on crime" laws seem to help. I can only control myself.

Now, there are persons who are going to say "well, if Blacks don't want to deal with police brutality, they should just obey and/or not break laws". Well, sitting and thinking about it, this is what I would have to say. How does breaking a law warrant getting beating or treated aggressively? Now, if one is assaulting an officer, that is a different story. Do what you have to do. On the other hand, I find this to be appalling. I was schooled on how to deal with police officers when pulled over. Be polite, obey all officer commands, etc. However, when the #1 reason you're doing that is to keep the officer from assaulting you, that sets a very bad tone. It sets the tone of "treat the officer the way you treat a bear wandering into your camp". Who wants to do that? Who wants to think like that?

I also think about this. I was watching a video by a Black youtuber. He basically said "Black people can reduce how much they deal with police brutality by reducing how much they deal with police officers, reduce your need for dealing the police". What he was basically saying "Obey the law so you don't have to deal with police officers". Now, it goes without saying that everyone should obey the law. However, if your reason for obeying the law has little to do with doing the right thing, and more to do with keeping police officers away, that is the wrong reason.

I also think about this. Sometimes you can get pulled over by a police officer simply because your presence rings alarm bells. It doesn't have to be about criminal behavior or suspicious behavior. It could be "you being a certain demographic". Example, I could go somewhere as a Black person, to a town or a city where Blacks make up bare 2% of the population. Granted, I'm plenty aware of Black people, especially men, being perceived as criminals. I've very aware of the stats and how Black males are perceived in the media. I personally can't do anything about that. I don't have any control over the media. I don't have any control over stupid hood rats who insist on being criminals. tAll I can do is obey the law. My presence in a certain area could raise someone's alarm bells. Someone could call the police, because "suspicious person". Now, it depends on where I go. The neighborhood I currently live in, I've never had that happen. However, it can and in some cases, does happen.

It isn't just one problem or another problem. It is a litany of problem.
I think this is a good post and don’t find anything to take issue with. You are right that this is a very complex issue. The fact that a relative few black males commit a disproportionate share of crime casts a shadow on all black males. You are in a very difficult position and I can’t say I understand the root causes of it, other than to say the nuclear family has been decimated in the black community more than in other demographics. I can’t say I understand why that has happened.

Good, thoughtful post. Thank you.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:26 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
But police work is community work, its not go to battle and run to the suburbs because you are scared.

If you are so scared of people from the city than you should not be doing community work in that city.
Imagine you are a cop and you arrested Joe Crackhead for weapon violation and John “the rapist” Smith for child molestation one week ago, they are both on bail today and back to their homes. Thanks to all the bail and prison reforms.

Bonus point: they are your neighbors living on the same block as you.

Extra bonus point: you have a wife and 2 young daughters.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think this is a good post and don’t find anything to take issue with. You are right that this is a very complex issue. The fact that a relative few black males commit a disproportionate share of crime casts a shadow on all black males. You are in a very difficult position and I can’t say I understand the root causes of it, other than to say the nuclear family has been decimated in the black community more than in other demographics. I can’t say I understand why that has happened.

Good, thoughtful post. Thank you.
Taking this issue from a simplistic perspective doesn't help anything. Part of my point was this. Police brutality is a reflection of other problems in American society.

As for crime among some Black people, I don't deny that it's taking place. I can't. And the decline of nuclear families has been going on longer in the Black population than anyone else. It's just catching up to the rest of society. It isn't just that by itself. Many other factors play a big role in people committing crime. Poor education, poor employment prospects, opportunism mentality, people with a vengeance mentality, it's a litany of reasons.

At the same time, the perception of Black men being inherently dangerous and violent is nothing new. The Black Brute stereotype is an example. This kind of portrayal has been taking place BEFORE crime rates among Black males were actually quite high. It goes as far back as slavery. Slaveholders often perpetuated the stereotype of Black males being inherently violent and prone to raping White women.

This is the reason I look at police brutality the way that I do. It's nothing new. And based on what I have studied, I look at the roots of the problem. It is a historical problem. Policing has always been around. And with it, police brutality has long been an issue. It has also been a racialized problem. Contrary to what's been going on, the first police forces in America did not originate from slave patrols. Slave patrols, however, did comprise the large portion of policing in the South. The way Blacks have been policed, however, can be traced to the slave patrols. The idea of "Blacks need to have their freedom of movement limited, they need to be policed harder and more harshly than anyone else". Police in places like Boston, Philadelphia, and New York started out as night watchmen. And it was to cut down on drunken behavior and prevent law breaking. In the South, it was about catching slaves that escaped.

Police brutality has been a problem going back generations. And it has gone back to that mentality of how people believe certain demographics need to be treated more harshly than others. Now, today, with the media and access to statistics, many people feel like they can back that up. People will look at statistics and say "there is a problem". The statistics and the stuff we see in the news bears this out. At the same time, some people will also use the stats for the wrong reasons. Attitudes are built around it. Attitudes like "well, I get way the police are harsher and more on edge with Black males, look at the crime statistics". Some will see it as "you resist arrest, you deserve to be shot". Or "if you didn't have an attitude, you would have less problems".

And it boils down to this for me. There is a police brutality issue. At the same time, it's a outgrowth of other problems that have been perpetual in America. Crime, racial tensions, etc. On one hand, there is definitely a crime problem with some Black men. On the other hand, there is also a problem with some police officers being violent, and there are issues with racism and racial tensions.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
by your logic the gated community in maple grove is the same as a neighborhood on east lake street yeah ok there bucko. makes PERFECT sense
That can happen. I saw this in Atlanta. There was a gated townhouse community literally in the same neighborhood as a ghetto. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive is very close by.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
It is horrible. Minneapolis, however, isn't the only US city faced with this issue.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...es-they-serve/
Indeed. Alot of police officers working in large cities don't like to live in those large cities. Community policing has been touted as a good idea. The question is this: How do we get that done when many people who police said cities don't want to live there?

Old 08-06-2020, 08:04 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
My dad was super socially and fiscally conservative, and even he believed the police should have to live within the city they work.

But since Minneapolis is a literal dumpster fire and has been for decades now, good luck finding cops who would want to live there and police it.

I predict, as the good cops leave the force in droves - and I foresee a mass exodus from MPD (and my SPPD) in the coming decade - that the Twin Cities are going to absolutely rot into nothingness.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:58 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I talked to my family member who’s a cop in town and near retirement last evening. The videos he’s seen, he said not all cops are going to be charged and said he wouldn’t surprised if main guy gets off. Then mpls is going to be destroyed along with every city in country. The country could honestly fail on the outcome of it. He also agreed mpls is only gonna get worse, nobody wants to be a cop in mpls now. There isn’t a fix now.

Also all my friends who own AR’s said getting ammo is good luck, not happening now, sold out everywhere.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:17 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,906 times
This educational video byProfessor Chris Rock should be run daily, right after the pledge of allegiance. All inner city schools will benefit. As a matter of fact, it should be a mandatory download when moving to an inner city. So simple really... Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul