Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 06:55 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,980,055 times

Advertisements

I happened upon another article regarding Minneapolis and police "alternatives" today.

"The Minneapolis City Council briefly considered diverting money from police to citizen patrols, with the council’s public safety chairwoman suggesting an armed group as one that could potentially benefit.

"During a budget meeting last week, Council Member Alondra Cano proposed cutting $500,000 from the Minneapolis Police Department for the citizen groups.

She described it as an effort to “respond to the hundreds of people who have formed their own community safety patrol systems to keep their blocks and their neighborhoods safe in this time of deep transition.”

She and nine of her colleagues voted in favor of adding the provision to the 2020 budget. On Wednesday, after residents and reporters contacted city officials seeking details about the proposal, the council walked it back."

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...eplace-police/

Paying untrained, yet armed citizen patrols to do the policing? Good grief.

The top link in the article goes to a StarTrib article which is behind a paywall for me, but in the comments section at the article, some refer to that link, and if you dig down some, it seems the city council also wanted these citizen patrols to be race and ideology based.

Only when reporters started nosing around did they seem to temporarily table that incredibly stupid idea.

This city council is beyond stupid, they are proposing dangerous nonsense.

Last edited by snebarekim; 07-24-2020 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, his point is that the demographics of both of those industries are very much disproportionately different from that of the city they work in.
So what? The primary factor should be if they do a good job or not, not their melanin content.

Progressives sure do love them some racial bean counting.

Quote:
It is a simple fact of people have no problem working in/for the city, but besides that forget it. This is somewhat odd, as some city workers may have to follow a city residency order.
Seems the same thing in many, if not most big cities in America. City life often means smaller more expensive housing for one thing.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:03 AM

82 posts, read 51,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
This is part of the root, they will never change their minds.
Agreed. There is an anarchist component of the population that bottom line hates police and wants no law enforcement period. Or they want law enforcement that they control, which is probably more likely. A scary time to be a Mpls. resident.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:08 AM

6,481 posts, read 7,043,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I happened upon another article regarding Minneapolis and police "alternatives" today.

"The Minneapolis City Council briefly considered diverting money from police to citizen patrols, with the council’s public safety chairwoman suggesting an armed group as one that could potentially benefit.

"During a budget meeting last week, Council Member Alondra Cano proposed cutting $500,000 from the Minneapolis Police Department for the citizen groups.

She described it as an effort to “respond to the hundreds of people who have formed their own community safety patrol systems to keep their blocks and their neighborhoods safe in this time of deep transition.”

She and nine of her colleagues voted in favor of adding the provision to the 2020 budget. On Wednesday, after residents and reporters contacted city officials seeking details about the proposal, the council walked it back."

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...eplace-police/

Paying untrained armed citizen patrols to do the policing? Good grief.

The top link in the article goes to a StarTrib article which is behind a paywall for me, but in the comments at the article refer to that link and it seems the city council wanted these citizen patrols to be race and ideology based.

Only when reporters started nosing around did they seem to temporarily table that incredibly stupid idea.

This city council is beyond stupid, they are proposing dangerous nonsense.
Mayor Frey’s former criminal justice policy advisor was arrested last February, he’s been federally indicted on gun and drug charges. What a great pick for that job!

Old 07-24-2020, 07:10 AM

92,670 posts, read 122,997,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
So what? The primary factor should be if they do a good job or not, not their melanin content.

Progressives sure do love them some racial bean counting.

Seems the same thing in many, if not most big cities in America. City life often means smaller more expensive housing for one thing.
Well, there appears to be a study showing how demographic balance can be a benefit for an agency: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e/?arc404=true So, it doesn’t mean that it has to be an “either or” situation.

It depends on the city and neighborhood within a city. Income in relation to home prices also has to be considered.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Well, there appears to be a study showing how demographic balance can be a benefit for an agency: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...e/?arc404=true So, it doesn’t mean that it has to be an “either or” situation.
What benefits exactly? I am not challenging it, but your link is another paywell I am on the wrong side of.

Quote:
It depends on the city and neighborhood within a city. Income in relation to home prices also has to be considered.
Income/home prices are just one single factor of many why cities have hired police from outside the city. Levels of crime and types of crime are also another factor. Suburbs may be boring, but they usually trend to be safer also. I would want my family in a safer area.

Cities that find demographic differences to be an urgent driving factor need to concentrate on attracting applicants from within the city. But those qualified applicant pools can sometimes be small.

By your other link, Minneapolis has a 79.8% white police force, and a 60.8% white populace. I am open to hearing concrete reasons why that is a some type of real problem, other than some progressives just really don't like "wypipo" very much.

Last edited by snebarekim; 07-24-2020 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Mayor Frey’s former criminal justice policy advisor was arrested last February, he’s been federally indicted on gun and drug charges. What a great pick for that job!
Yeah, I saw that too.

https://alphanewsmn.com/federal-gun-...is-mayor-frey/

Nearly everything about Frey seems to show an extreme lack of judgement in his actions. The few times he seems to have glimmers of common sense, he gets foiled by the city council.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:20 AM

202 posts, read 427,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
That's a hell of a dog whistle you got there. I live in the city and it's a great place to live. I was down on 38th and Chicago yesterday and it was nothing but peaceful. I routinely ride my bike throughout this city, at night (bicycle and Metro Transit are my primary modes of transport - I rarely if ever use my car), and have never once had a problem. And no, I'm not poor and downtrodden - I'm a CPA and do quite well. I choose to live here because I couldn't fathom living outside of an urban environment (grew up in NYC). And I would like the people who police my city to have some type of investment in the community. In fact, I'm heartened that city council is looking at disbanding the MPD and replacing it with a better organization.

Minneapolis City Council to hold emergency meeting Friday to discuss framework for systemic change, MPD

logically speaking why would an officer want to live near the criminals and scum he has to arrest?

Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,681,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
logically speaking why would an officer want to live near the criminals and scum he has to arrest?
Rural cops do it all the time.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:03 AM

11,981 posts, read 8,320,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Admit it, there is a CULTURAL divide in America that is only getting wider.
It is between those who have respect for education vs. those who do not;
It is between those who have respect for property rights vs. those who do not:
It is between those that value the safety of others vs. those who do not;
It is between those that are willing to live in a sewer vs. those who are not.

I laugh at those who proclaim whites moved to the suburbs "Because they fear brown people".
When in reality, they moved to get away from those who do not share the same values as they do. Heck, I had to quit going to movies in the city because of the morons who cannot keep their pieholes closed such that you can actually listen to the dialogue. If you don't want to live in a society that respects authority, God Bless You, feel free to live there. But don't expect me to live next door to you, I'm going to get out and move as far away from you as I can. Maybe that's the answer, maybe it's time to have a real dee-vorse and split the place up. Those that don't like civilization have no right to live within it.
Signed, an Old White Guy.
I couldn't agree more. And we "Old White People" aren't alone. The multitudes of Americans are truly diverse and the majority of us want to live in a safe and prosperous society.

On the web it looks like the whole world is advocating chaos and ruin in the name of colored skin and it's easy to get caught up in that specious belief. But the actual truth of the matter is that this movement is being directed and financed by people with money using mostly the young and socially-conditioned to do their destruction. What the disaffected actors envision as a new day for them may not be what the rich folks behind the scenes have in mind at all.

In fact, having watched these sorts of "spontaneous" happenings in America for over seven decades I am well aware that there is always a money/power scheme behind what is presented as a noble cause. Human nature.

A perfect society with no authority sounds good to the young but we all know it's a utopian daydream. When you're young it's normal to believe in ideals and easy to control you by your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul