Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 05:00 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times

Advertisements

finally the city council has come to it's senses and decided to defund the police department. Think of the money we'll save. Those rogue cops in our schools pretending to protect children in the classrooms. Schools should be open to all who wish to enter a learning environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 05:08 AM

719 posts, read 987,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
finally the city council has come to it's senses and decided to defund the police department. Think of the money we'll save. Those rogue cops in our schools pretending to protect children in the classrooms. Schools should be open to all who wish to enter a learning environment.
Yeah, better to leave it up to the assistant principal when Billy knocks Jimbo's teeth out. And, of course, we all know that the earth science teacher does karate every third weekend of the month, so she can definitely do a flying kick coupled with a hoduken to kill off any active shooters.

Seriously: reevaluate your life. You're doing it - everything - wrong.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
There is a call from some Minneapolis City Council members to disband the police and replace it with a different public safety model but this is not supported by the mayor. From what I’ve seen it would essential result in an overhaul. Nobody is advocating for a ‘policeless’ city.
Call from "some"? Nine of the thirteen council members went to a protest in the park and stated that they will vote to disband the police department. That is 69% which would override the mayor's veto.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...e%20department.

Yes, many are advocating for a policeless city.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
This is not a surprise. Dems eventually destroy everything they touch.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Call from "some"? Nine of the thirteen council members went to a protest in the park and stated that they will vote to disband the police department. That is 69% which would override the mayor's veto.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...e%20department.

Yes, many are advocating for a policeless city.
News mentioned this morning that it would come down to a vote from all people in the city, not just 9 city council members high on something.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:16 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Hello, I'm from Chicago, and when I saw this on the news, I could not believe my ears.. I said "oh no they are really going to do that ridiculous dangerous experiment for real.

just thinking about this - so if they do disband the police, some of the citizens who are kept at bay from shooting people they hate, now will have the ability to go shoot some people they don't like and get away with it. lets say you get a few people who don't like people of another color and then they go decide to shoot some of them because they will get away with it. how about some people who were victims of crimes now think they can go out and randomly shoot at someone coz theres no police around?

this is stupid and will backfire.. I know I gave some stupid examples, but this can backfire on the ones who are cooking up this stupid plan.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I was not taught that - it's something I've always believed. I am innocent.

First of all, the vast majority of my forebears are French Canadian and Irish, most of whom were not present for the American Civil War, let alone slave society. We're also almost exclusively Yankees, which even further removes us from the guilty party. So even if I accepted the idea that people are 'responsible' for the actions of their ancestors - and I do not - mine are not culpable.

Second, statistically, African Americans do account for a higher proportion of crime in this country than any other race. This does not mean that blacks commit more crimes than whites, but that - based on population statistics - they are doing more than their expected share. You can attribute that to upbringing, inner city culture, or even the default, go-to 'the system is racist' play all you like - but it doesn't erase the fact that when people encounter African Americans in the U.S., a minor amount of heightened concern is not unwarranted (there's giving a person a fair shake, and there's keeping both eyes open. I tend to believe that smart people quietly defer to the latter). You cannot blame people for an honest reaction based on something that is true.

In addition to the above, elements of African American society do themselves no great favor by embracing 'thug culture.' There is a heavy push amongst portions of black society to project a very 'hard' - and even threatening - image to the outside world. Whites do not bear any responsibility for this elective behavior - we neither foisted it on young black men, nor do we continue to prop up gang-banger rap music, militant, overtly racist leaders/icons like Al Sharpton, Spike Lee etc. That's all home-grown, and it's damaging to efforts to normalize relations between races.****

Finally, I have never oppressed anyone directly, and have no plans to. I deny any implication of collective responsibility - I don't owe anyone so much as a 'sorry,' let alone some huge, false, disgraceful dollop of white guilt. I cannot be talked into it, and I certainly cannot be shamed into it.

If this 'gets out of hand,' it's going to be a second civil war - a very, very short civil war. And, I hate to break this to you, but the progressive half of the country is going to lose, and lose big (as in: being forcibly driven from the country). In some theoretical race-fueled war, the people throwing Molotov cocktails and screeching about injustice are going to be completely bulldozed by the army and most of middle America. 'We've' only let things get to this point because we are so incredibly tolerant... but everything has its limits. Push too many buttons, and the extremely loud - but very inexperienced militarily - faction isn't going to be a faction in this country anymore.

****It must be stated, of course, that no two people are alike. We're talking about patterns of behavior across a wide spectrum; not necessarily even the rule, but often the loud and noticeable exceptions to the rule. But this also happens to be the same crowd of people who just burned down significant portions of American cities, leaving many African Americans both puzzled and embarrassed that a certain, small segment of their community cannot seem to sit down and shut up. I don't take my cues as a white person from David Duke or the KKK; why should most blacks - let alone the rest of the country - listen to, respect, or even tolerate the most extremist, violent, hostile, and unrealistic faction in the other camp? BLM shouldn't be getting air time as the "representatives" of a culture - they should be getting booed off the national stage by all corners.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Any of you own property in city proper?

Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Any of you own property in city proper?
"owned" is a better word for it

Old 06-08-2020, 08:39 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
This is honestly something they should let the city as a whole vote on and not let 9 people decide something so huge. I get that those people themselves were elected, but for something like this I really hope they let the whole city vote on this one issue specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul