Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 81,627 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. I am moving to Minneapolis and will be working at the Minnesota Medical Center in July and want to move to move in in June. I have been to Minneapolis maybe 3 times and not familiar with the different downtown areas.

I was wondering where are some of the better places to live around the downtown area. I am not opposed to driving, so if you live in the suburbs, how long does it usually take to commute to the hospital if you leave home around 7-8 am. Also, I am looking into downtown apartments as well:

Which districts are the best and which districts should I stay away from? Which suburbs are the best and which ones should I stay away from. Which pet friendly apartment complexes would you suggest that you've heard good things about or lived in.

I want to spend at most 1000/month for a 1-2 bed room apartment. I also have a 60 lbs dog.

Thank you for your input. Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM

98 posts, read 508,965 times
Are you referring to the University of Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview ?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,066,170 times
I am guessing Hennepin County Medical Center??? Can you clarify? It will make a big difference with the answer. Also, just so you know, finding an apartment rental that will take a big dog is difficult.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,737,154 times
yeah, generally if you need to find a place that accepts dogs it is going to have to be a house rental.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am guessing Hennepin County Medical Center??? Can you clarify? It will make a big difference with the answer. Also, just so you know, finding an apartment rental that will take a big dog is difficult.

Sorry, Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview. Would it be easier to rent an apartment in the suburbs then?

Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM

769 posts, read 2,224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaia View Post
Sorry, Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview. Would it be easier to rent an apartment in the suburbs then?
It's difficult to find a dog-friendly apartment, maybe, but try forrent dot com and they may have something. Stay away from North Minneapolis. Good look with finding a nice pad!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,644,635 times
I still don't know whether you're referring to the University of Minnesota Medical Center (Fairview is a large chain of hospitals and clinics, which now includes the UMN hospital.)

To clarify what "Stay away from North Minneapolis" means: the area north of Olson Memorial Hwy, south of Dowling, west of I-94, and east of Thomas has issues. The area north of Dowling is one of the easiest commutes into downtown known, and getting through downtown to the UMN east bank is easy, too. (Take the 4th street exit from 94, and keep going straight through, cross the Washington Ave. bridge, take the ramp down to East River Road, and park in the medical center ramp.) Not that the area's right for the OP, but being familiar with the whole city, I feel like defending North Minneapolis from such a broad statement.

Now, on with the topic at hand...

There are probably more apartments that accept dogs in the city than the suburbs. Lots of people in the Loring, Stevens, Whittier, and Wedge (Lowry Hill East) areas have dogs.

I used to rent from Copenhagen Enterprises for about 6 years before I bought my house. (They have 12 or so older brownstones in the Loring and Stevens areas, Link: Index ) They accept dogs for $20 additional per month (price as of three years ago), except for some breeds that their insurance company says no to (you know the story: no Pitbulls, Chows, mongrel fear-biters, etc.).

Stevens Community Apartments might also accept dogs. They have more apartments in that area than anyone else, and there are a lot of dogs in that neighborhood. (They have 2 dozen or so buildings in the Stevens area, Stevens Community Apartments in Minneapolis ) It won't hurt to call and ask.

Minneapolis neighborhoods map (big PDF file): http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf

Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
I still don't know whether you're referring to the University of Minnesota Medical Center (Fairview is a large chain of hospitals and clinics, which now includes the UMN hospital.)

To clarify what "Stay away from North Minneapolis" means: the area north of Olson Memorial Hwy, south of Dowling, west of I-94, and east of Thomas has issues. The area north of Dowling is one of the easiest commutes into downtown known, and getting through downtown to the UMN east bank is easy, too. (Take the 4th street exit from 94, and keep going straight through, cross the Washington Ave. bridge, take the ramp down to East River Road, and park in the medical center ramp.) Not that the area's right for the OP, but being familiar with the whole city, I feel like defending North Minneapolis from such a broad statement.

Now, on with the topic at hand...

There are probably more apartments that accept dogs in the city than the suburbs. Lots of people in the Loring, Stevens, Whittier, and Wedge (Lowry Hill East) areas have dogs.

I used to rent from Copenhagen Enterprises for about 6 years before I bought my house. (They have 12 or so older brownstones in the Loring and Stevens areas, Link: Index ) They accept dogs for $20 additional per month (price as of three years ago), except for some breeds that their insurance company says no to (you know the story: no Pitbulls, Chows, mongrel fear-biters, etc.).

Stevens Community Apartments might also accept dogs. They have more apartments in that area than anyone else, and there are a lot of dogs in that neighborhood. (They have 2 dozen or so buildings in the Stevens area, Stevens Community Apartments in Minneapolis ) It won't hurt to call and ask.

Minneapolis neighborhoods map (big PDF file): http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/abou...ghborhoods.pdf
Wow that really helps a lot!

What do you think of North Lyndale Ave in the Farview neighborhood. That is in the north, is that a bad area? I will be looking at that this weekend.

I am referring to the UofM medical center -Fairview on the University campus off University avenue on Delaware and Harvard street.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:47 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,529,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaia View Post
Wow that really helps a lot!

What do you think of North Lyndale Ave in the Farview neighborhood. That is in the north, is that a bad area? I will be looking at that this weekend.

I am referring to the UofM medical center -Fairview on the University campus off University avenue on Delaware and Harvard street.
I don't think too many people would want to live on North Lyndale, you are prob. one of them.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,737,154 times
Theres a Farview park in the Hawthorne neighborhood, but there is no Farview neighborhood.

There are two neighborhoods in Minneapolis you would be hard pressed to convince me to move to and Hawthorne is one of them. The area right around the park is quite pretty, and the houses bordering it are nice, but the "pocket" is literally on those blocks....north or south, east or west of there its patchy. Unless the property was VERY reasonable and had a security system and a garage, I wouldnt bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul