Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,084 times

Advertisements

So, my boyfriend is in a band and one member is going to be attending school in Minneapolis next fall and instead of splitting up the band the whole band and all the girlfriends plan on moving up there too and I was just wondering how the live music scene was up there.

And maybe if the music/art scene is in any certain area of Minneapolis... I don't know I just thought I'd ask and see if I got any input...

Any other info that could be helpful to a group of 10 mid-twentiers would be appretiated too...

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I wouldn't rant and rave about the music scene here. It's no LA, Chicago, New York, Austin or Nashville but if you wanna catch a live act there are some decent options. Here are a few local places I've gone to for live music (all are in Minneapolis except the last one):

First Avenue 701 1st Ave N - First Avenue - Your downtown danceteria since 1970
Uptown Bar and Cafe 3018 Hennepen Ave S - Uptown Bar & Cafe, 3018 Hennepin Ave South, Minneapolis, MN
Mayslack's Music Lounge 1428 4th St NE
400 Bar 400 Cedar Ave S
Fine Line Music Café 318 1st Ave N
Epic 110 N 5th St
The Cabooze 917 Cedar Ave
The Time Bar and Café 201 E Hennepin Ave
Bunkers Music Bar and Grill 761 Washington Ave
O'Gara's 164 Snelling Ave N (St Paul)

Old 05-04-2008, 12:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
There are several colleges in the metro area and if you can get in with the bars they frequent you will be able to perform there. We had our favorite local bands when we were in college, a few of them are still around even.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I wouldn't rant and rave about the music scene here. It's no LA, Chicago, New York, Austin or Nashville but if you wanna catch a live act there are some decent options. Here are a few local places I've gone to for live music (all are in Minneapolis except the last one):

Uptown Bar and Cafe 3018 Hennepen Ave S - Uptown Bar & Cafe, 3018 Hennepin Ave South, Minneapolis, MN
400 Bar 400 Cedar Ave S
Epic 110 N 5th St
You have no idea, do you?

Minneapolis has a huge music scene that in my opinion rivals Austin ( at least half of the hipsters in Minneapolis know half of the hipsters in Austin on a first name-basis). You will not be disappointed, I guarantee. You will hang out at the CC Club, Bulldog, sometimes Red Dragon or Country bar, Muddy Waters, Hexagon, Bryant Lake Bowl, Memory Lanes, Elsies, Psycho Suzies, Turf Club, Big V's, Triple Rock, Palmers, Pizza Luce downtown, Uptown bar and you will know those who work at Humm's, Henn-Lake, and Frank-Nick on a first name basis. Enjoy your liver and ear drums while you still got them

Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
There are a lot of different types of music here and (depending on age and tastes) you just have to know what you like and find it. Here are some sites that may help: http://tcmusic.net/performance; (broken link) http://calendar.citypages.com/section/concerts/; Twin Cities venues, bands, music gear, tickets oh yeah!

I read somewhere online that there is an average of 20-35 live concerts every week here; and that isn't counting the bars with live music in them.

I hope that helps!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You have no idea, do you?
Aparently not, maybe I should take more advice from local hipsters

Old 05-05-2008, 03:20 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samela20 View Post
So, my boyfriend is in a band and one member is going to be attending school in Minneapolis next fall and instead of splitting up the band the whole band and all the girlfriends plan on moving up there too and I was just wondering how the live music scene was up there.

And maybe if the music/art scene is in any certain area of Minneapolis... I don't know I just thought I'd ask and see if I got any input...

Any other info that could be helpful to a group of 10 mid-twentiers would be appretiated too...

thanks
Northeast Mpls. has alot of artists. The area has a blue-collar/hipster vibe. Some neat bars, residential in most areas.
The West Bank has more musicians. Cedar-Riverside (a sub-set of the West Bank) has a pretty good concentration of bars.
The Mpls. College of Art and Design (MCAD) is near the Inst. of Arts in Whittier. You get alot of students, but not as musically orientated.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

400 Bar 400 Cedar Ave S
Epic 110 N 5th St
Ignore the first part of the above post. The music scene in Minneapolis is VERY vibrant. I have played in bands for 20+ years.. Mostly cover bands, but some original stuff too. Both scenes have tons of musicians and lots of places to play. I have visited LA. Minneapolis has more places to play IMO. Plus it is not "pay to play" here.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Minneapolis was almost grunge before Seattle. Low key rock bands like Husker Du and the Replacements were some of the first to bring the t-shirt and jeans look back during the days of big hair metal band domination in the late 80s.

Down to earth Scandinavian mentality responsible for much of the Seattle sound is more present in Minneapolis than any other city in the country.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 PM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
What music scene? Hipster music? Is that what you guys are talking about? If we have any real music scenes no one really seems to know of them.......no one outside Minneapolis, that is. Seriously, our music scene is not big. I truly wish it was though. Oh God, how I wish it was. Most people in Minnesota don't even know the names of the few local bands we have.

I'm sorry, Samela, but our music scene is not vibrant. If you come here you will wish it is much bigger and much more active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul