Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,704,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
They didn't scare me, it just seemed like a run down area I would never consider living in. Sure, in the large east cities we have projects which Minneapolis doesn't seem to have, but the difference is the crime and shady stuff is confined to the project grounds and rarely spills over into surrounding areas, at least in the part of NYC I lived in. In Minneapolis, on the other hand, the vice isn't contained in projects and instead is more spread out over the neighborhood, like Powderhorn and Phillips and I'm assuming the North side where I didn't even venture.
You said you felt “unsafe.” You were afraid for your safety.

This is actually an easy problem to solve. Don’t go to those neighborhoods. Most people in the Twin Cities don’t. The difference between here and NY for you is you didn’t know ahead of time where the bad neighborhoods were.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:28 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Of course. MSP will be just fine. Its still viewed positively by most people across the country and still has good amenities for a place to live.

I was there last October visiting a relative. I asked him to drive me through the roughest parts of the city. If those neighborhoods were in Houston, they wouldnt raise an eyebrow. Its an objectively nice city.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Agreed. Minneapolis-St. Paul doesn't really have any truly "ghetto" neighborhoods. There are obviously some rougher areas, but what people call "bad" here is laughable compared to most other large cities in the US.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:18 AM

29 posts, read 62,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Agreed. Minneapolis-St. Paul doesn't really have any truly "ghetto" neighborhoods. There are obviously some rougher areas, but what people call "bad" here is laughable compared to most other large cities in the US.
Although I agree that by sight, you don't see what most think of as "ghetto," appearances are deceiving. Statistics show that while neighborhoods in other cities may look worse, the crime in Minneapolis is quite high and worse than many other metro areas.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:56 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Amazing:

In fairness to the Twin Cities, tons of large cities in America are in the exact same position. And it spreads to the suburbs, and to entire state systems. I wonder how much longer this nation will be around at this rate...

I think the destruction that the radicals have done to all the inner cities is the end goal of this entire nation to these same radicals. I think people that don't see it are shortsighted.
It ultimately comes down to the citizenry—the populace. I don't see good reason to have faith in Minnesota's urban dwellers and their elected leaders. When the medium term response from those with political power is to appease and essentially defend rioters and the fallacious political movement behind them, I can't see how you would trust them to build upon any kind of recovery. Who wants to invest or live somewhere where there is a consistent and abnormally high-risk of a social-media fueled riot occurring? Certainly, Minneapolis is not alone.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,612 times
True but in other cities you need to actually be in a bad neighborhood to get carjacked or get caught in a crossfire. Compare and contrast to MSP, where you might get a gun stuck in your face as you're looking at a $20 burger joint outside your car window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Old 03-10-2021, 08:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,612 times
What else did you expect from modern-day mugabes and bokassas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
It ultimately comes down to the citizenry—the populace. I don't see good reason to have faith in Minnesota's urban dwellers and their elected leaders. When the medium term response from those with political power is to appease and essentially defend rioters and the fallacious political movement behind them, I can't see how you would trust them to build upon any kind of recovery. Who wants to invest or live somewhere where there is a consistent and abnormally high-risk of a social-media fueled riot occurring? Certainly, Minneapolis is not alone.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,082,562 times
It was interesting to hear a national talking head say the other day that a knee on a suspect's neck is protocol for MPD. I'm not sure if they were wrong, but they said that.

No matter which way it goes, people are not going to be satisfied with the Chauvin results. If it's 3rd degree murder they won't be happy. If it's 2nd degree manslaughter they won't be happy.

So I do wonder what's in store in the immediate future.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 AM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It was interesting to hear a national talking head say the other day that a knee on a suspect's neck is protocol for MPD. I'm not sure if they were wrong, but they said that.

No matter which way it goes, people are not going to be satisfied with the Chauvin results. If it's 3rd degree murder they won't be happy. If it's 2nd degree manslaughter they won't be happy.

So I do wonder what's in store in the immediate future.
There is NO reason in the world that this trial should not have a change of venue. They will never put together a jury here free from bias and especially the fear of intimidation.

Thanks to the liberal media nationwide and the ULTRA liberal media in the Twin Cities, they will have no qualms showing the faces of the jurors and leaking out their names. The juror's fear for their lives and their families is very real in this environment.

As you mentioned, even if it's not an acquittal, but a guilty verdict for 3rd degree murder or 2nd degree manslaughter, the lives AND livelihoods of these jurors will forever be in peril.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:55 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
There is NO reason in the world that this trial should not have a change of venue. They will never put together a jury here free from bias and especially the fear of intimidation.

Thanks to the liberal media nationwide and the ULTRA liberal media in the Twin Cities, they will have no qualms showing the faces of the jurors and leaking out their names. The juror's fear for their lives and their families is very real in this environment.

As you mentioned, even if it's not an acquittal, but a guilty verdict for 3rd degree murder or 2nd degree manslaughter, the lives AND livelihoods of these jurors will forever be in peril.
I’ve been watching since Monday, the defense brought up some very interesting things with the judge prior to jury selection. Some jurors are being excused right away saying minds are already made up. The defense has something very big and I get this from the jury questions. They had a lawyer lady and she gave best answers for everything. The state didn’t even ask her a question and dismissed her. They had 5 before today and already found someone this morning. The judge himself somewhat dismissed some...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul