Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 07:24 AM

5,833 posts, read 7,670,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Kevin Williamson's take in National Review on Minneapolis and it's future.

https://www.nationalreview.com./maga...Y6ZIOnYL7QE2a4
That link is broken. https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...ity-no-longer/

Old 02-21-2021, 07:56 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,052,360 times
Quote:
Kevin Williamson's take in National Review on Minneapolis and it's future.

https://www.nationalreview.com./maga...Y6ZIOnYL7QE2a4
Amazing:

Quote:
the battle in Minneapolis has been Left vs. Lefter. “They’ve been organizing this for 20 or 30 years now in the city and taking it out to the suburbs,” Weber says, “and with less success trying to take it into rural Minnesota. There are no moderates, not even any traditional liberals left in the city of Minneapolis. There’s not a single statewide Republican elected official at any level of government. Every cycle for the last decade, the rallying cry in Minneapolis has been, ‘We need to replace the progressives with the ultra-progressives’ — they actually use that phrase, and that’s what they’ve got. The idea was to get to the left of the liberal Democrats, and they’ve done it.”

In fairness to the Twin Cities, tons of large cities in America are in the exact same position. And it spreads to the suburbs, and to entire state systems. I wonder how much longer this nation will be around at this rate...

I think the destruction that the radicals have done to all the inner cities is the end goal of this entire nation to these same radicals. I think people that don't see it are shortsighted.

Last edited by Kavalier; 02-21-2021 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-21-2021, 09:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Thanks.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:17 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Amazing:

In fairness to the Twin Cities, tons of large cities in America are in the exact same position. And it spreads to the suburbs, and to entire state systems. I wonder how much longer this nation will be around at this rate...

I think the destruction that the radicals have done to all the inner cities is the end goal of this entire nation to these same radicals. I think people that don't see it are shortsighted.
I wonder the same.

But in the article, Kevin brings it home here, IMO:

"And Minneapolis today is a hard sell as a long-term investment. People with a taste for urban life will put up with all sorts of shenanigans in New York City and Los Angeles and other megapolises; at the other end of the spectrum, residents can exercise a relatively high level of control when things go badly awry in small towns. But midsized cities are neither fish nor municipal fowl: Sometimes, they hit a sweet spot like Austin’s or Kansas City’s — and, sometimes, they end up with the worst of both worlds. That’s a real danger for Minneapolis, which has long prospered in no small part on the strength of its lively cultural scene and livability. Even when the plague is conquered, rampant crime and the aftermath of the recent lawlessness will hinder the city’s cultural recovery. And people will have to ask: Do you really want to live in a city with San Francisco’s homelessness and Fargo’s weather? Do you really want New York City’s crime with Milwaukee’s theater, Los Angeles’s governmental dysfunction with Columbus’s restaurants? How many variations on the theme of Cleveland are Millennials able to sustain? "

Can crime can be brought back to a livable level, or will Minneapolis remain so "woke" that it continues to rise and never fully recovers? Will the misplaced insistence that the police that are clearly needed in Minneapolis have sociology degrees remain in place? Who would even want to become a police officer in Minneapolis at the current time?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:34 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,052,360 times
Quote:
I wonder the same.

But in the article, Kevin brings it home here, IMO:

"And Minneapolis today is a hard sell as a long-term investment. People with a taste for urban life will put up with all sorts of shenanigans in New York City and Los Angeles and other megapolises; at the other end of the spectrum, residents can exercise a relatively high level of control when things go badly awry in small towns. But midsized cities are neither fish nor municipal fowl: Sometimes, they hit a sweet spot like Austin’s or Kansas City’s — and, sometimes, they end up with the worst of both worlds. That’s a real danger for Minneapolis, which has long prospered in no small part on the strength of its lively cultural scene and livability. Even when the plague is conquered, rampant crime and the aftermath of the recent lawlessness will hinder the city’s cultural recovery. And people will have to ask: Do you really want to live in a city with San Francisco’s homelessness and Fargo’s weather? Do you really want New York City’s crime with Milwaukee’s theater, Los Angeles’s governmental dysfunction with Columbus’s restaurants? How many variations on the theme of Cleveland are Millennials able to sustain? "

Can crime can be brought back to a livable level, or will Minneapolis remain so "woke" that it continues to rise and never fully recovers? Will the misplaced insistence that the police that are clearly needed in Minneapolis have sociology degrees remain in place? Who would even want to become a police officer in Minneapolis at the current time?
We're just in the beginning stages of this new America, where there is no room for moderates anymore.

I think the phrase "California leads, AMerica follows" has been pretty accurate over time.

And just take a look at California and how completely dysfunctional that entire state is. I think it's safe to assume that America is going to follow the California model, and we're just seeing the beginning of this new American path.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:42 PM

1,052 posts, read 447,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You’ve piqued my interest. Where in downtown were you specifically and how long ago was this? I’ve been downtown many many times. I’ve also been to the Bronx....and I find your observation very surprising. Was your visit within the last 10 years?
Nicollet Mall and surrounding downtown areas. Also the UofM campus. Been a bit further south in Uptown too, passing via Phillips/Powder-horn. Most recently in 2018. Although downtown was sketchy AF, I felt more unsafe when I passed through Powderhorn and Phillips. Not surprised Powder horn was ground zero for the riots. Some very run down areas. Uptown seemed nice at the time, not sure how the riots changed that.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:54 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,670,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Nicollet Mall and surrounding downtown areas. Also the UofM campus. Been a bit further south in Uptown too, passing via Phillips/Powder-horn. Most recently in 2018. Although downtown was sketchy AF, I felt more unsafe when I passed through Powderhorn and Phillips. Not surprised Powder horn was ground zero for the riots. Some very run down areas. Uptown seemed nice at the time, not sure how the riots changed that.
IDK, I moved here from Detroit and I’ve lived in some tough neighborhoods. If Phillips and Powderhorn scared you, that seems kind of weak for an East Coast guy. They aren’t great neighborhoods but, compared to a lot of places, they’re not really that bad. Maybe you need to get around more.

Last edited by Glenfield; 02-21-2021 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-21-2021, 07:09 PM

19 posts, read 15,581 times
I live in East Phillips. It's dumpy yeah, but not really that bad, I've seen waaay worse areas in other cities across the country.

Minneapolis doesn't really have any super ghetto areas, it's just that Minnesotans tend to be provincial and spoiled by decades of uninterrupted progress.

Having said that, I can't wait to get the hell out of here. In the process of buying a condo in Whittier, just a mile west, but what a difference a mile makes.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:17 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,305,348 times
Quote:
IDK, I moved here from Detroit and I’ve lived in some tough neighborhoods. If Phillips and Powderhorn scared you, that seems kind of weak for an East Coast guy. They aren’t great neighborhoods but, compared to a lot of places, they’re not really that bad. Maybe you need to get around more.
The comment would have made sense to me if the poster was describing a visit to Minneapolis in 1998, but seems a bit off in modern times. We lived in Powderhorn for 6 years and only moved a few miles away so I’m very familiar with the area. There was a decent amount of blight there up through the financial crisis but it has been on the upswing ever since then. Even the area near where George Floyd was killed had gotten a Co-Op and seemed to be gentrifying pretty rapidly. The area probably looks scary to someone coming from a posh suburb but for anyone who has been in lower income areas of the Bronx or cities like Camden, Chicago, Detroit, Newark, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc. etc. it is very tame in comparison. I’d feel more comfortable walking anywhere in Powederhorn than the blocks surrounding Yankee Stadium or in Sobro any day.

The area of Nicollet Mall I’m guessing you’re describing is the south end of it between Grant St and the freeway. If so that is a bit of a rough stretch as there is a treatment center and a low income highrise. There may have been a few crazies out and about. If I’m right that is not an accurate reflection of the downtown area as a whole. Up towards the river it’s really nice. The development near Target Field and US Bank Stadium are all pretty nice. Compared to other US cities Minneapolis has an above average downtown in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul86 View Post
I live in East Phillips. It's dumpy yeah, but not really that bad, I've seen waaay worse areas in other cities across the country.

Minneapolis doesn't really have any super ghetto areas, it's just that Minnesotans tend to be provincial and spoiled by decades of uninterrupted progress.

Having said that, I can't wait to get the hell out of here. In the process of buying a condo in Whittier, just a mile west, but what a difference a mile makes.
Nice, yeah you’ll love it in Whittier. It might be my overall favorite neighborhood in the city. A very underrated area.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 AM

1,052 posts, read 447,017 times
Quote:
They didn't scare me, it just seemed like a run down area I would never consider living in. Sure, in the large east cities we have projects which Minneapolis doesn't seem to have, but the difference is the crime and shady stuff is confined to the project grounds and rarely spills over into surrounding areas, at least in the part of NYC I lived in. In Minneapolis, on the other hand, the vice isn't contained in projects and instead is more spread out over the neighborhood, like Powderhorn and Phillips and I'm assuming the North side where I didn't even venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul