Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Minneapolis/St. Paul area ever recover from the riots? Or has it already?
Yes, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will recover from the riots. 39 40.21%
No, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area will never recover from the riots. 42 43.30%
The Minneapolis/St. Paul area has already recovered from the riots. 16 16.49%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 12:44 PM

50 posts, read 52,719 times

Advertisements

I've been considering the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, as I consider it a major city with strong diverse big facilities that you can have access to like other major cities, but the same time it's also in a state where the people are basically considered "Canadians of America" with how friendly they are, so I'd definitely like to be around that vibe alongside having access to all those amenities of a big city without having to deal with any of the harsh personalities of people in cities like NYC or LA. So it was kind of a shocker when I saw how Minneapolis was going up in flames because of that one incident that occurred this year. But I also heard some people say the media blew the whole situation in Minneapolis out of proportion. So I'd like to know what the situation really is like in Minneapolis.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:22 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
I want to hear the background story on your screen name.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 24,024 times
I think COVID is having a much bigger impact on the City (and every other city in the world right now) than the riots did. Lake Street was ground zero for the riots. It is recovering. Will it be the same as it was before? That remains to be seen. Will the City as a whole recover? As soon as COVID goes back to hell where it came from, I expect the City to recover pretty quickly.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:13 PM

87 posts, read 401,109 times
I live in the city of Mpls ...homes in my hood are selling in a few days way over list. Yes, people are leaving the city but just as many are looking to move in.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:01 PM

162 posts, read 155,340 times
We are in the process of recovering already. I agree that once COVID is over, things will really pop back. And ultimately, what we are going to see is that the areas that were burned will gentrify faster than they would have before.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
I mean if cities destroyed by hurricanes like New Orleans can recover, surely we can recover after the riots. And it's not like Minneapolis was the only city that had these destructive riots going on.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:02 AM

Some businesses, largely those owned by big companies like Target and Walgreens, have been rebuilt. Others remain empty and boarded up, and there are still piles of rubble that haven’t been cleared.

Crime remains elevated, especially carjackings, robberies, and shootings, and there is a general sense of lawlessness that doesn’t seem unique to Minneapolis. There is concern that rioting will occur again during or after the trial of the officers involved in George Floyd’s death.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:59 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
I’m afraid it’s going to become necessary to reclassify violent and many property crimes as federal crimes so we can be safe from the criminals and the local politicians. Take the power away from these idiots.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m afraid it’s going to become necessary to reclassify violent and many property crimes as federal crimes so we can be safe from the criminals and the local politicians. Take the power away from these idiots.
You can’t selectively make the Federal crimes just in one jurisdiction and the FBI isn’t going to be investigating these types of crimes in all 50 states.

I would not object to having Minneapolis policed by the Hennepin County Sherriff’s Office. At this point, I would prefer to have our chief police official be an elected office rather than appointed by city officials. The HCSO, along with the State Patrol, are doing a lot of the heavy lifting in Minneapolis right now anyway.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:46 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
My family member who works for a local municipality told me the details of Hudson stabbing murder. I mentioned that I was glad it happened there rather then here. Here, he’d be out on bail and probably only get 10 years probation on a murder charge. He agreed with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul