Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:44 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times

Advertisements

It looks like a couple of Wisconsin representatives have done the 5th District's rep proud by introducing the Oversight for Members And Relatives Act (OMAR Act) to prevent political candidates from using campaign contributions to enrich spouses.

“For too long, lawmakers of both political parties have engaged in the ethically dubious practice of pocketing campaign funds by ‘hiring’ their spouses and laundering the money as campaign related expenses,” said Rep. Tom Tiffany, who represents Wisconsin’s Seventh Congressional District.

https://alphanewsmn.com/republicans-...hment-schemes/

Ms. Omar paid her current husband (not her ex-husband, the brother) $2.9 million in 2020 campaign contributions, which accounted for 78% of his company's income.

The OMAR Act is patterned after a similar act floated by Dems Schiff and Pelosi back in 2007, so there should be strong support from the Dems, eh?

Oh, Ilhan, you have done Minnesota so proud!!

Old 02-09-2021, 04:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
It looks like a couple of Wisconsin representatives have done the 5th District's rep proud by introducing the Oversight for Members And Relatives Act (OMAR Act) to prevent political candidates from using campaign contributions to enrich spouses.

“For too long, lawmakers of both political parties have engaged in the ethically dubious practice of pocketing campaign funds by ‘hiring’ their spouses and laundering the money as campaign related expenses,” said Rep. Tom Tiffany, who represents Wisconsin’s Seventh Congressional District.

Ms. Omar paid her current husband (not her ex-husband, the brother) $2.9 million in 2020 campaign contributions, which accounted for 78% of his company's income.

The OMAR Act is patterned after a similar act floated by Dems Schiff and Pelosi back in 2007, so there should be strong support from the Dems, eh?

Her own small business rescue effort. Nice.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:

The name is indeed perfect.

It has zero chance of passing because:

1- It makes perfect sense and is needed.
2- Dems have the house, senate and exec.

Old 02-10-2021, 11:25 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
The name is indeed perfect.

It has zero chance of passing because:

1- It makes perfect sense and is needed.
2- Dems have the house, senate and exec.
True, but as you said, the name is perfect!

It turns out that her current husband (not the former husband-brother) also got more than $600,000 in Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) "loans".

I should have been a politician.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:59 PM

The thing is Omar is not the first or only one in Congress to be doing this. It is a widespread practice. Our ruling elite are a corrupt bunch.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:46 PM

542 posts, read 448,202 times
Quote:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1776359.html

Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner allegedly created a shell company that secretly paid the president’s family members and spent more than $600 million, a report says.

The payments to the Trump family and top advisors through the company helped shield financial details from the public, according to Business Insider.

Use of the company, incorporated as American Made Media Consultants Corporation and American Made Media Consultants LLC, reportedly allowed the president and his family to bypass federally required financial disclosures.

Campaign finance records show the Trump campaign and its committee at the Republican National Committee, spent $617 million from their $1.26bn coffers through the company, according to Business Insider.

If the Information on Omar is correct, she is Bush league compared to the Trump family. Campaign finance rules and regulations have historically been championed by Dems, so despite one of their members potentially using it to enrich their family, they might find an ally. However, I doubt they would back something called OMAR act, instead if changed to include exteneded family, they would probably support such an act.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 02-10-2021 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1776359.html

Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner allegedly created a shell company that secretly paid the president’s family members and spent more than $600 million, a report says.

The payments to the Trump family and top advisors through the company helped shield financial details from the public, according to Business Insider.

Use of the company, incorporated as American Made Media Consultants Corporation and American Made Media Consultants LLC, reportedly allowed the president and his family to bypass federally required financial disclosures.

Campaign finance records show the Trump campaign and its committee at the Republican National Committee, spent $617 million from their $1.26bn coffers through the company, according to Business Insider.

If the Information on Omar is correct, she is Bush league compared to the Trump family. Campaign finance rules and regulations have historically been championed by Dems, so despite one of their members potentially using it to enrich their family, they might find an ally. However, I doubt they would back something called OMAR act, instead if changed to include exteneded family, they would probably support such an act.
This is whataboutism. Can you explain how what you cite makes Omar’s actions acceptable? Because she’s not as good at it? As for me, I believe that the use of campaign contributions to support family members is wrong no matter who does it. Can you say the same? Or is your partisanship too strong?

Old 02-10-2021, 08:23 PM

542 posts, read 448,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This is whataboutism. Can you explain how what you cite makes Omar’s actions acceptable? Because she’s not as good at it? As for me, I believe that the use of campaign contributions to support family members is wrong no matter who does it. Can you say the same? Or is your partisanship too strong?
If she actually did that, I do not find it acceptable (I'm not her biggest fan, but regardless of whether I like her or not, I'm not going to alter my values or opinion about family relations enriching themselves through campaigning). The point about bringing Donald Trump into the conversation was not to justify or mitigate what Omar may have done, but to give a reason why it shouldn't be named after her (name it after the most egregious violator of the problem) and why Dems might be motivated to see a measure like this pass.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
If she actually did that, I do not find it acceptable (I'm not her biggest fan, but regardless of whether I like her or not, I'm not going to alter my values or opinion about family relations enriching themselves through campaigning). The point about bringing Donald Trump into the conversation was not to justify or mitigate what Omar may have done, but to give a reason why it shouldn't be named after her (name it after the most egregious violator of the problem) and why Dems might be motivated to see a measure like this pass.
FWIW, I think the whole thing of giving laws made up names to fit some acronym, like the PATRIOT Act, is [Mod edit: BS]

The larger point of stopping the ruling class from stuffing their pockets with campaign contributions is valid. And, yeah, she did it. It’s in her FEC disclosures. Look at the amounts paid to her husband’s firm, E Street Group. https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/for.../1357988/sb/17

Last edited by elnina; 02-11-2021 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 12:28 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,544 times
Quote:
FWIW, I think the whole thing of giving laws made up names to fit some acronym, like the PATRIOT Act, is [Mod edit: BS]
Omar was being trolled for sure with the name, but in this case the corrupt little turd blossom had it coming.

Quote:
The larger point of stopping the ruling class from stuffing their pockets with campaign contributions is valid. And, yeah, she did it. It’s in her FEC disclosures. Look at the amounts paid to her husband’s firm, E Street Group. https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/for.../1357988/sb/17
She didn't even try to hide it. That is how arrogant she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: