Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 09:12 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

Since I can't get any information from the news, and I have asked in other places and no one answers or doesn't know, I am wondering what the status is of Minneapolis' so-called autonomous zone?

Is it still there?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:50 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
I read recently that the intersection will soon re-open. (After Chauvin Trial) No more zone then, I guess.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:49 AM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I read recently that the intersection will soon re-open. (After Chauvin Trial) No more zone then, I guess.
Good luck with that. I'm sure as soon as the MPD tries to do that, a rush of peaceful protesters will show up to make it clear they are in charge, not the city.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Good luck with that. I'm sure as soon as the MPD tries to do that, a rush of peaceful protesters will show up to make it clear they are in charge, not the city.
What leads you to believe that the police dept. will be doing this? I haven’t seen that discussed.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:38 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Since I can't get any information from the news, and I have asked in other places and no one answers or doesn't know, I am wondering what the status is of Minneapolis' so-called autonomous zone?

Is it still there?
Don’t you live like 15 minutes away? Why don’t you venture over there and report on your findings?

Old 02-23-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Don’t you live like 15 minutes away? Why don’t you venture over there and report on your findings?
Well this forum is called "City Data". I think we should have a working thread on the matter, to be honest. The so-called "news" certainly doesn't inform the people about these matters like they should be anymore, that much seems clear.

I think out-of-towners should know what sort of nonsense is occurring here, lest they need to show up.

These days, if I don't have a good reason to venture into Minneapolis (work, maybe a concert, or a Twins game) I don't make an effort to cross the River. I have got enough riff-raff to deal with on my side of the River.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM

542 posts, read 448,000 times
Quote:

Is it still there?
when you first wrote this, I did a search with google and had no problem finding articles. Bring up a search engine like Google, Bing, or Duck Duck Go! and put the following in: Minneapolis autonomous zone. You will see many articles on this subject. MPR did a series of roughly hour long interviews on the subject.

If you want a specific news organization put the following in a search engine: Minneapolis autonomous zone and then add the specific news agency you are interested in. There is plenty to both read and listen to about the subject.

Now, if you were really just wanted to bring up the subject, there is no reason to go through the subterfuge of not knowing how to find information on the internet or claiming you can't get that information from the news.

Since you wrote this. I suspect you just wanted to bring up the subject (by reading your last post) vs. not knowing there were articles available. You can post on subjects or bring them up without the acting unless the post already existed.
Quote:
Well this forum is called "City Data". I think we should have a working thread on the matter, to be honest. The so-called "news" certainly doesn't inform the people about these matters like they should be anymore, that much seems clear.

I think out-of-towners should know what sort of nonsense is occurring here, lest they need to show up.

These days, if I don't have a good reason to venture into Minneapolis (work, maybe a concert, or a Twins game) I don't make an effort to cross the River. I have got enough riff-raff to deal with on my side of the River.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 02-23-2021 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 07:08 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
I have to go over near there today. I don’t really want to because I know it is a place where there are a lot of car jackings and I am going to have to wait for someone in the car. I really don’t have a choice about it though.

From what I understand, the city is negotiating to reopen the intersection and has offered to construct some kind of memorial at the curb where George Floyd died, but there is still no agreement on what will happen to the big black fist in the middle of the intersection. Once they resolve that issue, there will be some other obstacle, because there really is no way to satisfy the people they are dealing with.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:13 AM

I can't believe that this has been allowed to go on. 20 years ago this never would have been allowed. Extortion of citizens and businesses, closing off of city streets? That sounds like Mad Max lawlessness.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:56 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I have to go over near there today. I don’t really want to because I know it is a place where there are a lot of car jackings and I am going to have to wait for someone in the car. I really don’t have a choice about it though.

From what I understand, the city is negotiating to reopen the intersection and has offered to construct some kind of memorial at the curb where George Floyd died, but there is still no agreement on what will happen to the big black fist in the middle of the intersection. Once they resolve that issue, there will be some other obstacle, because there really is no way to satisfy the people they are dealing with.
I'll be in town end of next month, or early April. I have to rent a car at the airport, but I want to drive around south Minneapolis with one of my daughters who will be with me (she is 25 now) and show her some of the area of my roots.

I have told her about some of my youth and where I grew up. Now she can see some of those areas. I'll take photos.

Lets see what 38th and Chicago look like in early 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul