Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:55 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I love the Twin City Area for starters. Even though the Northern Suburbs and Western WI are more "right" than I'd like to see that's just an irritant not really a deal breaker.
However, for other entertainment, indoors and outdoors and other major Cities that surround it, there's not much compared to other Major Cities.
For example, yea to the Straight West of Chicago may be lacking but up to the Northwest of it, Northeast, North and even South to some degree, you have Door County and the Lake Country (Lake Geneva for example) and Milwaukee and Madison within less than a 3 hour drive. You have Indianapolis just over 3 and St Louis and Detroit (for indoor rec opportunities) 4 to 5 hours.
Almost the same at Seattle. A huge amount of Outdoor Opportunities in each direction and Portland and Vancouver BC (border will most likely reopen by year's end) 3 hours or less. Even Spokane (not really a "major" city but still about 800k around there) is about the same distance that Madison WI is from Minneapolis.
Around Minneapolis, yea straight North and East and SE, there's plenty of Outdoor Recreation chances.
But no real major cities until you get to Milwaukee, 5 hours at least away, unless you consider Des Moines and Madison those, I don't. If the Black Hills and Badlands were 3 hours instead of at least 8 or 9, lol? Well you get the point. Straight West and South, there's no real cities less than 4 hours away (Fargo's the biggest and there's not even 300k around there) and the scenery sucks.
So am I the only one who thinks that MSP rocks but the neighbors, overall, are like, blah?
I think you overestimate the level of interest that most Chicagolanders have in those places you mentioned. I can't see what is so much more spectacular about Chicago's regional location beyond Lake Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 05:58 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Things are calm now, just an occasional daily shooting or carjacking every now and then! And that's while the weather is still crappy...
Please point me to a large metropolitan area that is free of crime? People are getting wacked in greater MN too by the way...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kst...y-6028187.html

Old 03-11-2021, 06:32 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Wolf View Post
The Twin Cities are more isolated than most major (say, 1,000,000+) metropolitan areas. The only more isolated ones are probably Denver and Salt Lake City. We site on the edge of the big void, the northern Great Plains and northern Rockies, with low populations and no major metro areas. Minnesota has long been the 'fastest' (or maybe 'less-slow' is the better term) growing Midwestern state.

As for outdoor recreation, it's pretty much a fact of life that from the Rockies west, opportunities abound. First, there's a lot of land that is of marginal commercial value and so was never developed, or was saved from development because it didn't happen before the age of preservation rolled around and vast swaths of land were protected. Today, those are enormous playgrounds for hiking and backpacking and camping and skiing and the like. You can't till over mountains, and deserts are similarly not very good for much. And there's not much point in putting cities in the mountains - almost all of our major cities sprouted on the coasts or major inland waterways. Hard to compete with all that natural unspoiled land out there.

Minnesota has made a lot from what it has, though. We have a gem of a state park system, and some marvelous forests up north. And the North Shore itself is spectacular.

Anyway, everything in balance. If someone likes a regular diet of deep backcountry hikes and serious downhill slopes, the Twin Cities aren't going to fit the bill. But someone looking for a high quality of life with a variety of year-round outdoor opportunities, it just might.
I agree. I’ve learned to go visit these places, but not live full time. Then again I’m born and raised here and my family is here. I have no want to move back there even if I won the lottery. A winter home in Sausalito or Telluride would be about the extent for me, but never full time.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,754 times
Free of crime? None. Free of post-Saint Fentanylus level of crime where people are getting robbed, shot and carjacked in broad daylight in “nice” parts of town? Pretty much any large city that’s not one of the usual Baltimore/St Louis/Detroit/etc suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Please point me to a large metropolitan area that is free of crime? People are getting wacked in greater MN too by the way...

Last edited by bigfatdude; 03-11-2021 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-12-2021, 07:51 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:

You don't seem dumb enough to actually believe the logic of "Other cities have crime, therefore crime in Minneapolis hasn't dramatically increased." So why do you argue that way? Whom do you expect to convince?

Old 03-12-2021, 08:00 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You don't seem dumb enough to actually believe the logic of "Other cities have crime, therefore crime in Minneapolis hasn't dramatically increased." So why do you argue that way? Whom do you expect to convince?
Because it’s true. The increase in some crime categories seen in Minneapolis in 2020 is similar to increases seen in other cities across the country.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:04 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
So your argument is "crime in other cities has dramatically increased, therefore crime in Minneapolis hasn't dramatically increased?"

Think about whether this line of argument makes any sense...especially on a thread that in many spots is comparing Minneapolis not to Cleveland or St. Louis, but to literal wilderness.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:33 AM

Show me another city that has gone from being by no means perfect but relatively safe to having nonstop shootings, robberies and carjackings in areas that used to be avocado toast central not that long ago.

Quote:
Because it’s true. The increase in some crime categories seen in Minneapolis in 2020 is similar to increases seen in other cities across the country.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:11 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
So your argument is "crime in other cities has dramatically increased, therefore crime in Minneapolis hasn't dramatically increased?"

Think about whether this line of argument makes any sense...especially on a thread that in many spots is comparing Minneapolis not to Cleveland or St. Louis, but to literal wilderness.
His point is that Minneapolis increase in crime is similar to other major cities increase in crime. I have not verified that statement but it seems to be, on a superficial level of inspection, to be true.

Since you brought up Cleveland, let's compare the two.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021...y-in-2020.html

The two years are linked because they represent the worst two years in recent history for deadly violence in Cleveland. The city hit 185 homicides on Dec. 20, the most in a single year since 1982 when the city hit 195 homicides and when nearly 200,000 more people called the city home.

The homicide rate in 1982 ended at 33.9 homicides per 100,000 residents; this year, as of Dec. 20, it was 48.6 homicides per 100,000 residents. In Cleveland’s deadliest year -- 1972, when there were 333 homicides -- the homicide rate was 44.3 per capita.

Cleveland City Councilman Michael Polensek, who was first elected councilman in 1978, said the numbers bear out what he’s heard from residents all year: that the level of violence in 2020 escalated to historic levels.

Cleveland's population (385,282)
murders : 185

Minneapolis population (420,324)
murders : 81

I am puzzled why someone from Cleveland seems to be taking such glee in our increase in crime when your city is many times more dangerous and unsafe. Cleveland only wishes it murder rate was as good as Minneapolis at its worst. Actually, the entire state of Minnesota has less murders than Cleveland (5.8 million) vs. (385,282). You might have a little more credibility if you actually came from a city with a better crime rate.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ne%20reported.

Crime is up 21% in Minneapolis. This is disappointing, but not to the point of hysteria we are seeing from some posters.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:35 AM

That's apples to oranges - you're comparing a hellhole that was always a hellhole to a hellhole that not too long ago was a viable option for those trying to escape the insane housing costs on the coasts. I highly doubt there are too many New Yorkers and Bostonians considering the current, post-Saint Fentanylus ascension Minneapolis where a quick beer run in previously fashionable Uptown can now easily end with one less car and/or one more bullet hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
His point is that Minneapolis increase in crime is similar to other major cities increase in crime. I have not verified that statement but it seems to be, on a superficial level of inspection, to be true.

Since you brought up Cleveland, let's compare the two.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021...y-in-2020.html

The two years are linked because they represent the worst two years in recent history for deadly violence in Cleveland. The city hit 185 homicides on Dec. 20, the most in a single year since 1982 when the city hit 195 homicides and when nearly 200,000 more people called the city home.

The homicide rate in 1982 ended at 33.9 homicides per 100,000 residents; this year, as of Dec. 20, it was 48.6 homicides per 100,000 residents. In Cleveland’s deadliest year -- 1972, when there were 333 homicides -- the homicide rate was 44.3 per capita.

Cleveland City Councilman Michael Polensek, who was first elected councilman in 1978, said the numbers bear out what he’s heard from residents all year: that the level of violence in 2020 escalated to historic levels.

Cleveland's population (385,282)
murders : 185

Minneapolis population (420,324)
murders : 81

I am puzzled why someone from Cleveland seems to be taking such glee in our increase in crime when your city is many times more dangerous and unsafe. Cleveland only wishes it murder rate was as good as Minneapolis at its worst. Actually, the entire state of Minnesota has less murders than Cleveland (5.8 million) vs. (385,282). You might have a little more credibility if you actually came from a city with a better crime rate.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ne%20reported.

Crime is up 21% in Minneapolis. This is disappointing, but not to the point of hysteria we are seeing from some posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul