U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 05:28 PM

33 posts, read 22,936 times

Advertisements

I'm not expecting much because I have searched a lot online and have found nothing except a story about the hotel closing in the early 2000's to become the Chambers Hotel. My grandpa lived at the Fairmont Hotel for decades, and he died there the year before I was born. I'm just trying to do some family history gathering. I know he lived a very troubled life and as far as my dad and his siblings are concerned that's a closed subject they do not wish to get involved in, so I respect that.

What little discussion I do remember overhearing about the Fairmont Hotel...was it one of the last single-room hotels that mostly older men who were end-stage alcoholics lived in? Did any of you know anyone who lived there, or did you pass by there a lot? I'd love to know more about the place or see what it looked like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:11 PM

263 posts, read 81,090 times
I found an online photo of the Fairmont Hotel in an old issue of “Hennepin History” magazine. (Summer 1994, Vol. 53, No. 3) The photo is on page 20, and the hotel is mentioned on pages 22, 26 and 27. (from the article, “Living Downtown” by Michael Koop) I don’t see a date on the photo, but I assume it was taken in 1994 for the article.

https://digitalcollections.hclib.org.../id/2747/rec/1

This is where I started looking, the Hennepin History Museum.

https://hennepinhistory.org/

I've never lived in Minneapolis so I have no first-hand knowledge of this building. I'm just another family history hunter. :-)

Old 06-27-2021, 06:02 AM

2,073 posts, read 4,228,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls14303 View Post
I'm not expecting much because I have searched a lot online and have found nothing except a story about the hotel closing in the early 2000's to become the Chambers Hotel. My grandpa lived at the Fairmont Hotel for decades, and he died there the year before I was born. I'm just trying to do some family history gathering. I know he lived a very troubled life and as far as my dad and his siblings are concerned that's a closed subject they do not wish to get involved in, so I respect that.

What little discussion I do remember overhearing about the Fairmont Hotel...was it one of the last single-room hotels that mostly older men who were end-stage alcoholics lived in? Did any of you know anyone who lived there, or did you pass by there a lot? I'd love to know more about the place or see what it looked like.
Was there not an adult store shop below that place?

Old 06-28-2021, 04:48 PM

33 posts, read 22,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepearl View Post
I found an online photo of the Fairmont Hotel in an old issue of “Hennepin History” magazine. (Summer 1994, Vol. 53, No. 3) The photo is on page 20, and the hotel is mentioned on pages 22, 26 and 27. (from the article, “Living Downtown” by Michael Koop) I don’t see a date on the photo, but I assume it was taken in 1994 for the article.

https://digitalcollections.hclib.org.../id/2747/rec/1

This is where I started looking, the Hennepin History Museum.

https://hennepinhistory.org/

I've never lived in Minneapolis so I have no first-hand knowledge of this building. I'm just another family history hunter. :-)
Thanks for doing some digging for me! This is a great place to start!

Old 06-28-2021, 07:43 PM

263 posts, read 81,090 times
You're welcome. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-29-2021, 06:40 AM

540 posts, read 1,007,700 times
I don't have first-hand knowledge of the Fairmont, but I remember the corner it was on being fairly sketchy (I went to concerts at the Orpheum in the 80s and 90s). As was posted above, there was an adult bookstore on the first floor of the building, and the Saloon "kitty-corner" from it was a hub of drug activity.

You may find this documentary interesting, it is about Minneapolis's "skid row" back in the 50s before the Nicollet Mall/downtown redesign removed most of the SRO hotels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-o79czcfKE

Downtown experienced another spike in crime/poverty in the 1970s, mostly along Hennepin Avenue (where the Fairmont was located) and specifically "Block E", which was demolished in the late 80s and remained a parking lot for about 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBkV9xy7e44

I believe there is only one SRO hotel downtown now. Most of the older buildings have either been torn down and/or made into office buildings or condos.

Old Today, 06:06 PM

1 posts
Hello, I too am searching for my Grandfather, who I'm told did reside here at The Fairmont Hotel as of 1950. I'm searching for any information I can find. His name was George Kim Suey Wong. He may have gone by: George Q Wong. If anyone knows anything about anyone living at this Hotel with the surname: Wong. Please message me anytime. Thank you, Sjwong55
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul