Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:14 PM

249 posts, read 504,081 times

Advertisements

Between highways not having entrance/exit ramps, multiple highways converging, and an unusual layout around the mall, why is Eden Prairie'd road network so bad? If you're miss an exit you have to do miles down the highway to the next one, and nothing seems to be orientated in a straight line.

Does anyone else get frustrated with this, and why is it the worst layout in the twin cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 09:51 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Agree, no straight-line main roads exist in EP. Seems to be orientated this way more so due to the topography of the area, hills and lakes. It is a challenging area for anyone not familiar with it.

I worked there prior to Covid but now am permanently remote, and so I've cleaned out my desk and bid good-bye to the god awful layout of town and roads. Also to the area soon to be changed forever by the arrival of light rail.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
If you think EP's bad like that, get a load of the Coon Rapids/Anoka vicinity.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:55 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
If you think EP's bad like that, get a load of the Coon Rapids/Anoka vicinity.
Oh I agree with this, I lived in Blaine for a year. It is pretty warped but on a wider scale up there.

EP is compacted into a smaller area and is beyond confusing.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:16 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post
Between highways not having entrance/exit ramps, multiple highways converging, and an unusual layout around the mall, why is Eden Prairie'd road network so bad? If you're miss an exit you have to do miles down the highway to the next one, and nothing seems to be orientated in a straight line.

Does anyone else get frustrated with this, and why is it the worst layout in the twin cities?
Agreed. Lot's of circular roads, weird frontage roads, incredibly difficult to navigate at times.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:34 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Ageed - I thought it was just me. I avoid EP.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:45 PM

38 posts, read 30,383 times
We've been told that EP was a "planned" community. Very 70s-mall-centric.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7ODXYm1aQ

Old 12-19-2021, 10:59 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
MN with it's bragging of 10,000+ lakes it's inevitable that everything is all screwed up, er; twisted, bent, curled and scrambled trying to get around all that soaking marshy property.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:54 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
MN with it's bragging of 10,000+ lakes it's inevitable that everything is all screwed up, er; twisted, bent, curled and scrambled trying to get around all that soaking marshy property.
I’ve heard this explanation before and don’t think this logic applies to suburbs like Eden Prairie. Compare that to cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul or the historic areas of Excelsior, Hopkins, White Bear Lake, Anoka, Shakopee, Farmington, Chaska, etc. which are set up with a neat and tidy grid making them more walkable and easy to navigate. This is a stark contrast to car-dependent bedroom communities like Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, Eagan, Plymouth, Apple Valley, Woodbury and Blaine which were designed as twisty-turney mazes full of cul-de-sacs, strip malls and department stores.

That said, I would consider Eden Prairie one of the more egregious examples of this type of design. Without using navigation I have gotten lost there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul