Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:57 AM

200 posts, read 600,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharrtell View Post
I don't have a response to iambrittany, but I'm in a similar situation, so didn't want to start a new thread. I'm moving from San Francisco to the Twin Cities for grad school at the U. I'm going to be split between the St. Paul campus and the public health department located on Minneapolis.

I'm drawn towards the lakes in Minneapolis because I like to run and love having an escape from urban-ness. I'm planning on relying on public transportation, shuttles, and bike (ideally ... I'm a wussy kid from Ca who doesn't know how to deal with inclement weather!), but I just don't want to spend a lot of my day on transportation. I've also been drawn towards the Mac-Groveland area because it's close to the river, but I hear public transportation is more challenging in St. Paul. I'm also looking into the areas east of the St. Paul campus, but from a map anyway, it looks quite urban (though, I do know Lake Como is supposed to be nice, but I feel like I've heard it's a bit out of the way).

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear (read) them. My boyfriend is coming with me, and we are looking to spend 800-900 for a 2 bedroom if possible.

Thanks,
sara

P.S. - How much does it cost to pay for heat in the winter? I've read some adds saying heat is included in rent, but I don't know how much of a benefit that is.

I exclusively take public transportation and so I know how important it is to live near a bus that runs frequently. You should take a look at metrotransit.org and look at the bus routes/schedules nearby any place you're seriously considering, whether it's St Paul or elsewhere, to see how frequently they run and how easy it will be to get where you need to go.

There are lots of places you can live around here and be close to the river, or one of the lakes. For example, the Lake Nokomis and Minnehaha Park areas in Minneapolis are also very nice places to live. You could take the light rail to the West Bank and then take the campus connector bus from campus to St Paul or the East Bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 17,765 times
Default to silverjet and iambrittany

I have been living in the NE Minneapolis neighborhood for 4 years and moved here fom uptown (the lakes area) Very convenient to the West Campus (10 min) quiet and affordable..2 bedrooms from 800$. Everything you need and lots of transit bus stops.

As far as the lakes area its awesome and everyone knows where it is! So very busy and you dont get nearly what you do in NE as far as rentals. Its easy to bike through downtown to get to the first lake (lake of the isles).

St. Paul is cool, Ive never lives there but like to visit!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
[quote=iambrittney;3843423]Hi,
I'm going to the U of M in the fall quote]

Then what are you doing in this thread?????? Everybody knows the U-M is in Ann Arbor! hehehehehe

I am ducking and running for cover!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,281 times
I'm from southern California, about an hour north of LA. Is the U of M really in Ann Arbor? is this some sort of Minnesota humor I don't understand?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambrittney View Post
I'm from southern California, about an hour north of LA. Is the U of M really in Ann Arbor? is this some sort of Minnesota humor I don't understand?
Some MI person being weird. There is the U of M in Minneapolis/St. Paul and the U of M in Michigan. For some reason the Michigan people have issues with that .

Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,401 times
The "St. Paul" campus is 100% located within the City of Falcon Heights, including the golf course. Fulham St. is the western boarder and Como Ave. is the southern boarder.

Here's a map that clearly shows the U of M -

http://falconheights.govoffice2.com/...CC6D5F9%7D.GIF

You'll find some nice apartments on Larpenteur Avenue, which is within walking/biking distance. Larpenteur is a busy street with regular public transportation stops.

Good luck

Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
Hi Sarah,

I am in the same boat as Brittney, looking for either an efficiency or cheap 1 bdrm. I just returned to school at the U, and will be taking most of my classes on the East Bank. I'd like to live somewhere where I can use public transportation, but am not interested in spending a lot of time in my commute not that I'm trying to be too picky here. Your suggestion of looking into the SAP area did pique my interest though. Could you forward those links to me?

Thanks much!

Emily

Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstone View Post
I have been living in the NE Minneapolis neighborhood for 4 years and moved here fom uptown (the lakes area) Very convenient to the West Campus (10 min) quiet and affordable..2 bedrooms from 800$. Everything you need and lots of transit bus stops.

As far as the lakes area its awesome and everyone knows where it is! So very busy and you dont get nearly what you do in NE as far as rentals. Its easy to bike through downtown to get to the first lake (lake of the isles).

St. Paul is cool, Ive never lives there but like to visit!
Where would you recommend to look first? I'm looking for a efficiency or 1 bdrm for 500-650, one that allows cats (I've got one). NE suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul