Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 01:24 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times

Advertisements

Highlander you should be plenty safe there by the river. Lucas Davenport lives real close,
Enjoy the twin cities. Be sure to support LGBTQ policies there at my Alma mata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 06:04 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,152,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Highlander you should be plenty safe there by the river. Lucas Davenport lives real close,
Enjoy the twin cities. Be sure to support LGBTQ policies there at my Alma mata.
Always. I'm actually really looking forward to the move (and the location).

Old 07-26-2022, 12:58 PM

Just had a conversation with a friend of mine who used to live in Hiawatha but hasn't in years (though he does/did have friends in the area). Just curious - how big of a grain of salt do I need to take this with?
Quote:
The a-holes destroyed the neighborhood i used to live in. Used to be fun and cool, now it looks like detroit. Sounds like lots of crime (armed break-ins, drive-bys, street shootings, that kind of thing and tons of gangs there now. A little like the shady areas of Venice, ca. I would make sure you ask somebody who lives there now where are the good areas. My guess is far, far away from the university area. Hiawatha is not very far from the center of all the stupidity and looting.
Quote:
It was nice before. Sounds like the Minnesotans have a serious case of buyers remorse for their politicians. Maybe the people will throw them out and the rule of law will return. Fair play is a big deal up there. Sounds like the current jokers up there have made it pretty unsafe to be fair skinned in the downtowns. Lots of muggings and the like. Lots and lots of businesses moved out to the burbs. Sad that people in power care so much about skin color. People are people. There are *******s and nice people and a whole bunch inbetween. What they wear or look like is totally irrelevant. Lots of our friends left the twin cities after the crime shot up. Home invasions and attempted break ins drove several of our friends away. Especially the ones who didn’t grow up there. Be careful up there.
Quote:
Head on a swivel. Don’t expect police help if you get in trouble. A little while ago, one of my friends who lives in one of the nicer parts of southwest Minneapolis was woken up at 3am by someone trying to break down his back door. My friend called 911. They told him they didn’t have anyone available to send and then told him not to resist if the dude broke in. Luckily the door held. But it scared the **** out of him that there was no one coming to help. And even worse, that the criminals know it. He left. He’d lived there 20 years.
Checking Neighborhood Scout you get a pretty grim picture (St. Paul being safer than 4% of American cities, Minneapolis - than 2%), but if you look at other crime stat websites, like Crime Grade, St. Paul is safer than my current city of Ann Arbor. Just trying to make sense of all this.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:10 PM

357 posts, read 443,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Just had a conversation with a friend of mine who used to live in Hiawatha but hasn't in years (though he does/did have friends in the area). Just curious - how big of a grain of salt do I need to take this with?Checking Neighborhood Scout you get a pretty grim picture (St. Paul being safer than 4% of American cities, Minneapolis - than 2%), but if you look at other crime stat websites, like Crime Grade, St. Paul is safer than my current city of Ann Arbor. Just trying to make sense of all this.
This is all non-sense written by someone who isn't there and with an axe to grind. Ignore it.

You can't do better than Highland Park, given your parameters.

Welcome to Saint Paul!

Old 07-26-2022, 04:56 PM

6,540 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Just had a conversation with a friend of mine who used to live in Hiawatha but hasn't in years (though he does/did have friends in the area). Just curious - how big of a grain of salt do I need to take this with?Checking Neighborhood Scout you get a pretty grim picture (St. Paul being safer than 4% of American cities, Minneapolis - than 2%), but if you look at other crime stat websites, like Crime Grade, St. Paul is safer than my current city of Ann Arbor. Just trying to make sense of all this.
Watch live on patrol. He talks nonstop and explains what’s going on, he’s entertaining and knows everyone on streets…

Old 07-26-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
This is all non-sense written by someone who isn't there and with an axe to grind. Ignore it.

You can't do better than Highland Park, given your parameters.

Welcome to Saint Paul!
Cheers, appreciate the input. Highland Park isn’t what I’m worried about, necessarily - it’s not like we’ll be there 24/7/365.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:27 PM

47 posts, read 29,189 times
Quote:
Just curious - how big of a grain of salt do I need to take this with?
You’d need a salt mine.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:41 PM

588 posts, read 562,105 times
Quote:
Personally, I agree with everything your friend has said.

As I mentioned in another post, I lived downtown St Paul March 2017-20. When I first moved here, I loved living the downtown life. But then, in the summer of 2019 I noticed things shifting towards the negative…bad experiences on the light rail but the most disconcerting was hearing the sounds of gunshots. One incident happened on the street right outside of my building, with the exchanging gunfire, it sounded like a shootout at the OK Coral.
I moved to Shoreview, a 2nd ring NE suburb to get out of that situation. Then COVID/ George Floyd happened and that’s when the crime really spiked, even to those outer ring burbs. In my complex, cars were constantly getting broken into, people were getting into the underground parking, and the leasing office was broken into with checks stolen. Sadly, my neighbor was car-jacked at gunpoint in the parking lot in front of our townhouse.

St Paul and Mpls are separate cities. There was never “talk” of defunding the St Paul police so I think that makes a difference when comparing the two.
As Warmer stated, Live On Patrol is a good resource. You could also check out @CrimeWatchMpls on Twitter.
And FYI, parents of University of Minnesota formed a parent advisory group due to concerns with increasing crime there. I haven’t really followed their happenings since I don’t have a vested interest with the school. You can Google info through our local news sources.
Our local news stations include: WCCO, KARE, KSTP, and Fox9.

I think the topic of crime in the Twin Cities can be a decisive topic in this forum and you will get various responses. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter based on their personal life experience

Old 07-26-2022, 06:05 PM

588 posts, read 562,105 times
Highlanderfil,
My apologies for being nosy, ..…I know you said you are moving here for your wife’s position, however you haven’t mentioned yourself. I hope you have no worries there.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Highlanderfil,
My apologies for being nosy, ..…I know you said you are moving here for your wife’s position, however you haven’t mentioned yourself. I hope you have no worries there.
I have authorization from my company to work remotely basically until I no longer do. You may have heard of us, we make cars and are on the verge of laying off eight thousand white collar workers, if you believe, oh, just about any news source.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 07-26-2022 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul