Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been a murder on the northside since April. I pay pretty close to the murders occuring in the city and the only one that has happened this year that seems to be random is the kid getting robbed near the West Bank U of M and Augsburg College who got wacked for his moped. Every other case has been drug related, gang related, or domestic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymentality View Post
Wow, do you think I'm that ignorant? Of course I read it, and I know the reason why most of the people got murdered in the first place. It was basically for altercations mainly on drugs on the North areas of Minneapolis. And that's where the focus comes up of why we can't forget the victims. Obviously law enforcement needs to be aware of these areas..
Jazzymentality, I do believe that the police are aware of these problems. I also believe that there are GOOD citizens that live and work in those same areas and those people are willing and able to call the police when stuff happens and that is why North Minneapolis hasn't turned into something like Chicago's Cabrini projects back in the 1990's (the History Channel had a program on that the other night).

As long as the good people of a neighborhood or city work together building the community into a safe place to live, the gangs don't win. But it takes effort from everyone to build a safe community, which is why I told northsider14 to work for peace.

Northsider14 has a good mind and a way with words. She needs to learn to use those gifts in a healthy manner in order to stay out of trouble. Building a memorial for the victims of the community is something that she can do if she decides to put her talents to work towards that goal.

We need to all remember the victims of violence even if they themselves are the cause of the violence. I don't think people *choose* to get into gangs or drugs or violence unless they are looking for something that is missing in their lives. If a person feels worthwhile and productive in their daily lives, they won't go seeking drugs or gangs or other destructive habits.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Quote:
Wow, do you think I'm that ignorant? Of course I read it, and I know the reason why most of the people got murdered in the first place. It was basically for altercations mainly on drugs on the North areas of Minneapolis. And that's where the focus comes up of why we can't forget the victims. Obviously law enforcement needs to be aware of these areas..
Jazzy Mentality, first off, News, Commentary, Events, Restaurants, Fiction | The Rake Magazine is a crappy publication that has been criticized for their overzealous negative bias around N. Mpls for years nows, I would not read their articles as I've found personally that if I spend time reading ANY of their articles, I usually just become a more ignorant and worse person for having done so than I was before I started. And the article you linked to is almost a year and a half old.

Secondly, all of the recent murders in the city of Minneapolis that have been getting a lot of media attention have been in SOUTH MINNEAPOLIS, there hasn't been a murder in any North neighborhood for months, like Slig said.

Thirdly, I live in North Minneapolis and have worked two different "near north" neighborhoods on and off for three years now. I also grew up in the same town as yourself, and even went to the same high school that you do right now. I have never been a victim of crime in all of my walking, working, travelling, living, etc. in North Minneapolis over the past 3 years. To be honest, I would be a lot more hesitant to stare too long at someone at a stoplight in certain areas of Sioux Falls, SD than here in North Minneapolis. Please do not spread fear and bias about an area that you have never even been to - the neighborhoods that you are reading and hearing the bad press about comprise only a couple of neighborhoods. North Minneapolis has THIRTEEN neighborhoods in it - it is a very large geographic area - and some of the North neighborhoods I would argue are some of the most desirable places to live in the city.

I'm sorry but your fears about coming to Minneapolis are irrational - once you get here and spend some time here, you will see that for yourself - Mpls seems big at first but it's really not - the City of Minneapolis proper is actually geographically smaller than Sioux Falls in land mass by about 1.4 miles (it's just 3 times as dense in the city and surrounded by a ton of suburbs). But you will find that it's just like a series of small towns/ cities around here and that the average person living their life will hardly ever personally encounter crime and violence - 99.9% of the time, the worst thing you will have to deal with is beggars asking for money/ loose change.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
[quote=Camden Northsider;4194407]

Secondly, all of the recent murders in the city of Minneapolis that have been getting a lot of media attention have been in SOUTH MINNEAPOLIS, there hasn't been a murder in any North neighborhood for months, like Slig said.
QUOTE]

I think it's important to note that half of the murders in 2006 cited in the Rake magazine article (with the link in the earlier post) were committed in south Minneapolis, not north Minneapolis. When I visited Mpls last month, I was very surprised to see how much parts of south Mpls had gone downhill, especially in the area around Portland Ave S, between Lake and Franklin. Obviously the bad guys living in that area aren't going to do their criminal stuff just in the areas where they live....unfortunately. If you look at that murder map for 2006 in the Rake Magazine link you will see how widespsread the murders were in south Minneapolis.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:06 PM

203 posts, read 512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
Jazzy Mentality, first off, News, Commentary, Events, Restaurants, Fiction | The Rake Magazine is a crappy publication that has been criticized for their overzealous negative bias around N. Mpls for years nows, I would not read their articles as I've found personally that if I spend time reading ANY of their articles, I usually just become a more ignorant and worse person for having done so than I was before I started. And the article you linked to is almost a year and a half old.

Thirdly, I live in North Minneapolis and have worked two different "near north" neighborhoods on and off for three years now. I also grew up in the same town as yourself, and even went to the same high school that you do right now. I have never been a victim of crime in all of my walking, working, travelling, living, etc. in North Minneapolis over the past 3 years. To be honest, I would be a lot more hesitant to stare too long at someone at a stoplight in certain areas of Sioux Falls, SD than here in North Minneapolis. Please do not spread fear and bias about an area that you have never even been to - the neighborhoods that you are reading and hearing the bad press about comprise only a couple of neighborhoods. North Minneapolis has THIRTEEN neighborhoods in it - it is a very large geographic area - and some of the North neighborhoods I would argue are some of the most desirable places to live in the city.

I'm sorry but your fears about coming to Minneapolis are irrational - once you get here and spend some time here, you will see that for yourself - Mpls seems big at first but it's really not - the City of Minneapolis proper is actually geographically smaller than Sioux Falls in land mass by about 1.4 miles (it's just 3 times as dense in the city and surrounded by a ton of suburbs). But you will find that it's just like a series of small towns/ cities around here and that the average person living their life will hardly ever personally encounter crime and violence - 99.9% of the time, the worst thing you will have to deal with is beggars asking for money/ loose change.

Ok, remember that I didn't make the website I posted, also remember that I haven't lived in Minneapolis yet, so I'm looking at all the sites that contain information about Minneapolis on here. Believe it or not, I actually obtained the site I posted ON HERE. So, what am I supposed to believe. Thanks for giving me postive feedback on Minneapolis. I was actually just generally having bad anxiety the night I posted about having stress in Minneapolis and about crime and everything. I doubt alot of it had to do with actually having to live in Minneapolis, more than other things that I won't share now. K thanks.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Hmm...yeah, 19 dead bodies doesn't seem bad at all, right. This is horrible, I know they aren't random, but there are still instances where sometimes in a robbery they are.
All I was saying is that, statistically, you're going to see those kinds of numbers in any city of that size in the US. It goes with the territory.

Also, I was indicating that Minneapolis appears to be considerably less prone to murders than the city I've recently moved to (Atlanta). Both cities are very similar in size.

I don't think 19 murders is acceptable at all, but it should be *expected* for a city of that size, and your use of the phrase "murder zone" to describe Minneapolis was a gross mischaracterization in ANY context and invited comment.

Quote:
My friend and his family are going there soon to look at apartments and I am so scared they are going to look on the Northside of Minneapolis. Haven't you heard of initiations?? Gang members could easily shoot them just for the heck of it. And keywords for you are, "you think" which means it's not even a definite answer.
I'm not a cop who specializes in crime statistics, so not saying "I think" would be dishonest. I don't know -- but nobody does except for those who actually deal with such things for a living.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
I remember a time when the whites did not want black folks in the burbs.Now all of a sudden their envading our neighborhood tring to change the way we been doing things for years.Their running down to city hall,attending city concil meetings complaining about our neighborhood being violent. The bottom line is this in the hood sometimes you have to things you dont want to do to get buy.So if you dont like the way things are then go back to small town USA baaaby this the city life and no one likes a SNITCH.BELIEVE me when i tell you if we cant get money are way the show does not stop,the newcomers from small town become targets. Im born and raised on the northside and a word to the wise if you want to make it here. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND LET PEOPLE OF COLOR BE THEMSELVES AND NOT WHAT CORPERATE AMERICA THINKS POLLITICALLY CORRECT SHOULD BE WHERE NOT YOOOU.DUDE

Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
Default Go back to small town usa your not welcome fresh bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian mcnight View Post
I remember a time when the whites did not want black folks in the burbs.Now all of a sudden their envading our neighborhood tring to change the way we been doing things for years.Their running down to city hall,attending city concil meetings complaining about our neighborhood being violent. The bottom line is this in the hood sometimes you have to things you dont want to do to get buy.So if you dont like the way things are then go back to small town USA baaaby this the city life and no one likes a SNITCH.BELIEVE me when i tell you if we cant get money are way the show does not stop,the newcomers from small town become targets. Im born and raised on the northside and a word to the wise if you want to make it here. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND LET PEOPLE OF COLOR BE THEMSELVES AND NOT WHAT CORPERATE AMERICA THINKS POLLITICALLY CORRECT SHOULD BE WHERE NOT YOOOU.DUDE

Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
What does corporate America have anything to do with the discussion? It isn't like we're pushing to put a Walmart on W. Broadway. We just don't want more people to get wacked. Black or white, I think everybody would be better off with less violence in the neighborhood.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 PM

203 posts, read 512,277 times
Quote:
WTf? wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul