U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 AM

84 posts, read 543,322 times

Advertisements

I'll be done with school in December and I've pretty much decided that I want to try and find work in the Midwest (other than maybe Denver or Phoenix) in order to stay closer to home (I'm in Wisconsin, near the Dells). I've got it narrowed down to Minneapolis, Madison and Chicago.

Anyhow, enough with that.

I'm going to have a marketing major and I'm guessing I shouldn't have much trouble finding a job in that field in Minneapolis (let me know if I'm wrong). My school gives a survey to past graduates and the average 2007 marketing graduate made something like $33,000 a year or $35,000 a year, something in that area.

First off, is that enough to live fairly decently on in Minneapolis, for a single person?

Secondly, what are some good areas, that are safe, fairly nice but yet affordable, that are within 5-10 minutes of downtown. The closer to downtown the better, but obviously a lot of that stuff would probably be out of my price range. A studio or one bedroom would be all I need and I do hold a special place in my heart for high-rises (obviously I can't afford luxury ones) so if there are any in my price range, that'd be awesome. I need some nightlife. I'm not a huge partier, but I like to socialize and meet people. Also, I'm not really familiar with the area as far as this is concerned, but are there plenty of golf courses in the Minneapolis area?

Any advice would be great. I've posted here about this sort of stuff before, but the time is a lot closer and I wanted to get a serious jump on researching things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

2,506 posts, read 8,146,056 times
Mpls. is surprisingly affordable. That is a good salary for a single person. You could afford something downtown if that is what you want. (There aren't as many units in the very center of the core as there are in the areas directly near the core. Loring and Elliot Parks, Warehouse Dist.) Loring Park, the Warehouse Dist. and the Saint Anthony triangle area are all safe, convenient and urban. LoringDowntown.com | Welcome! (http://www.loringdowntown.com/Directory/Dir.html - broken link) This is a list of apartments in Loring Pk. from their Neighborhood Assoc., most high-rises start at $1000, but low rise and older buildings are much cheaper.
Minnesota has the most golfers of any state from what I understand. There are public courses, private courses, short and long courses and even domes for the winter. I can think of five within the city limits of Mpls. I don't golf, but you shouldn't bore with the number of courses here.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,107,782 times
I can't help you with apartments but I can help you with golf courses. You will find ample opportunities to golf on courses everywhere from $10-$150 for green fees. Hastings, about 20 minutes SE of Minneapolis has 5 courses, town of about 15,000 people. Minneapolis has a variety of courses, as does St. Paul. I am trying to think of a town in the metro that doesn't have at least a 9 hole executive course and can't think of any.

Of course we have the LPGA US Open going on right now at Interlachen. You can't afford that course yet though .

Outstate MN has some BEAUTIFUL courses. One of my favorites is Superior National in Lutsen--north of Duluth. Going out you are looking into the pine forests, coming back, wonderful views of Lake Superior. One par 3 has you teeing off over a waterfall. The resort courses in Brainerd are also worth a golf trip.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM

10,220 posts, read 14,868,337 times
I don't think Richfield has one...but yeah, an embarrassing amount of golf around here.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 AM

481 posts, read 1,731,280 times
Richfield used to have one, but the airport assimilated it.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM

Is the Fred Richards Course technically in Richfield--on Parklawn near Highway 100? Even so, there are several in Bloomington, Edina and such that are close enough.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM

2,506 posts, read 8,146,056 times
Fred Richards is in Edina.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Fred Richards is in Edina.
Ok, it is hard to know because all of the addresses list 'Minneapolis' or "St. Paul' but they could be in Edina, Eagan or downtown.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 PM

54 posts, read 265,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rode View Post
I'll be done with school in December and I've pretty much decided that I want to try and find work in the Midwest (other than maybe Denver or Phoenix) in order to stay closer to home (I'm in Wisconsin, near the Dells). I've got it narrowed down to Minneapolis, Madison and Chicago.

Anyhow, enough with that.

I'm going to have a marketing major and I'm guessing I shouldn't have much trouble finding a job in that field in Minneapolis (let me know if I'm wrong). My school gives a survey to past graduates and the average 2007 marketing graduate made something like $33,000 a year or $35,000 a year, something in that area.

First off, is that enough to live fairly decently on in Minneapolis, for a single person?

Secondly, what are some good areas, that are safe, fairly nice but yet affordable, that are within 5-10 minutes of downtown. The closer to downtown the better, but obviously a lot of that stuff would probably be out of my price range. A studio or one bedroom would be all I need and I do hold a special place in my heart for high-rises (obviously I can't afford luxury ones) so if there are any in my price range, that'd be awesome. I need some nightlife. I'm not a huge partier, but I like to socialize and meet people. Also, I'm not really familiar with the area as far as this is concerned, but are there plenty of golf courses in the Minneapolis area?

Any advice would be great. I've posted here about this sort of stuff before, but the time is a lot closer and I wanted to get a serious jump on researching things.

i live downtown and you cant even get somewhere downtown in 5 minutes even if you live there. and you cant live down here on 35k. go to madison

Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 PM

481 posts, read 1,731,280 times
I can live downtown quite comfortably on 35K, since I make a bit less then twice that and bank half my paycheck even with a 26 mile car commute (13 each way). If your scene is living in a 700 sf box and taking the bus in to work its even easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul