Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
But enough of all of this, mine wasn't an intention to derail this thread, only to respond to the ad hominem attack on people who

Again, sh*t happens, especially in large areas where several people congregate as a matter of routine. I plan to be ready for it.

Once again, I'll let my side of the discussion rest as long as others are willing to stop taking jabs at the concept of gun ownership being a proactive way for a law abiding citizen to defend themselves.
Right, and now I have a question for you.

This is the scenario. You're walking thru a dark corner of the city. Your weapon is "safely" stowed in your waistband or elsewhere. A bad guy approaches, displays a gun, demands your wallet.

Now what? If you do ANYTHING other than swiftly reach for your wallet, you have to assume you'll be shot. I don't see how your gun helps you in this situation. In fact, it could very easily make things worse. What happens when two guys are aiming guns at each other? Someone will be shot. Maybe you.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:17 PM

113 posts, read 155,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Right, and now I have a question for you.

This is the scenario. You're walking thru a dark corner of the city. Your weapon is "safely" stowed in your waistband or elsewhere. A bad guy approaches, displays a gun, demands your wallet.

Now what? If you do ANYTHING other than swiftly reach for your wallet, you have to assume you'll be shot. I don't see how your gun helps you in this situation. In fact, it could very easily make things worse. What happens when two guys are aiming guns at each other? Someone will be shot. Maybe you.
Why in the name of god would I be walking through a dark corner of the city? Why would I allow a "bad guy" to get close enough to be a threat without first evaluating him or his intentions? Why would I give him my real wallet and not toss a throwaway with fake credit cards and phoney money (not conterfeit, but the "Jesus Saves" crap that floats around from time to time, or the $3 bills with Clintons face on it) at his feet to distract him?

First of all, I'm not going anywhere more than one or two blocks from my vehicle when I'm in anything remotely resembling a city. Second, if I see an unknown person approaching me (either focused intently on me or casting furtive glances all around, as if looking for witnesses) without first hailing me or asking for some kind of help, the weapon I carry will be a little closer at hand. Third, I do carry a "throw wallet" to distract the hypothetical thug. Fourth, I'll be damned if I'm gonna comply with someone who's likely to shoot me anyway, just for kicks or to eliminate a witness.

The biggest of these is, I don't go where trouble is likely, ie "some dark corner of the city". That's a far cry from the Mall in question in this thread.

If my vehicle broke down in a "dark corner of the city", the first thing I would do is lock the doors, second is arm myself, and third is to call a tow truck. Calling the cops would be optional, unless real trouble presented itself.

I really don't walk into "dark corners of the city" with the habit of letting my guard down. Paranoid? Practical? I hope I really never have to find out.

(As an aside, being in a "dark corner of the city" would be one of the few practical times to carry openly with a retention holster, ie a shoulder holster or level 2 belt holster. If that attracts the attention of the cops, so be it. I'd rather have a cop pay a little closer attention to me because I'm armed than have a thug pay attention to me becaus he thinks I'm not.

There are so many of the Pants-Sh***ers that say my gun wil be taken from me if I carry openly, but I have yet to see one verifiable, documented case where a person with a permit to carry was carrying openly and had their firearm taken from them. Maybe they're there, but such accounts are rare as spun gold.

And besides, if it's that easy to snatch my gun from me, I'll just snatch it back from the "bad guy". Easy, huh?)

Last edited by Binky .357; 12-10-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 02:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
Why in the name of god would I be walking through a dark corner of the city? Why would I allow a "bad guy" to get close enough to be a threat without first evaluating him or his intentions? Why would I give him my real wallet and not toss a throwaway with fake credit cards and phoney money (not conterfeit, but the "Jesus Saves" crap that floats around from time to time, or the $3 bills with Clintons face on it) at his feet to distract him?

First of all, I'm not going anywhere more than one or two blocks from my vehicle when I'm in anything remotely resembling a city. Second, if I see an unknown person approaching me (either focused intently on me or casting furtive glances all around, as if looking for witnesses) without first hailing me or asking for some kind of help, the weapon I carry will be a little closer at hand. Third, I do carry a "throw wallet" to distract the hypothetical thug. Fourth, I'll be damned if I'm gonna comply with someone who's likely to shoot me anyway, just for kicks or to eliminate a witness.

The biggest of these is, I don't go where trouble is likely, ie "some dark corner of the city". That's a far cry from the Mall in question in this thread.

If my vehicle broke down in a "dark corner of the city", the first thing I would do is lock the doors, second is arm myself, and third is to call a tow truck. Calling the cops would be optional, unless real trouble presented itself.

I really don't walk into "dark corners of the city" with the habit of letting my guard down. Paranoid? Practical? I hope I really never have to find out.

Wow. I mean, WOW. You are a very scared person. How did you get to be so scared? If you don't go anywhere you'd need a gun, why do you need a gun? I don't jump out of planes. Ergo, I don't own a parachute.

I go into the big, bad city all the time. I've never owned nor carried a gun. Am I stupid or just not frightened beyond my wits?

I have a friend like you. He loves guns. Owns several. Keeps one in his car. He thinks Minneapolis is an exceedingly dangerous place. He also subscribes to the misguided theory that if a thief believes you may be armed (because of the conceal and carry law), he is less likely to rob you. That theory has been disproved repeatedly.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Ok, kids, that is enough, thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul