Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times

Advertisements

My kids were in the Roseville School District and did well there (we live in Shoreview). I think Roseville and St. Anthony are both great. Shoreview is also a suburb you might like, Maplewood and White Bear Lake would also be a comfortable commute to either downtown areas and close to relatives in Blaine.

As someone who lives in the northern suburbs, I would never consider choosing Maple Grove, Woodbury or any of the southern suburbs if you have relatives in this area. If you would someday need/want the relatives to help with childcare; the road gets pretty tedious after a while.

I know a family where the grandparents babysit the little ones while the parents work: problem is; Grandparents live in Roseville area and the couple lives/works in the St. Louis Park area. So the young mother drives the kids to Roseville every AM to drop them off, then drives back to her work and the dad drives over to Roseville every evening to pick the kids up and then back home again. That little 15 mile trip is now a 30 mile trip twice a day and is a major pain for them to do all of the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:48 AM

501 posts, read 1,945,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
My kids were in the Roseville School District and did well there (we live in Shoreview). I think Roseville and St. Anthony are both great. Shoreview is also a suburb you might like, Maplewood and White Bear Lake would also be a comfortable commute to either downtown areas and close to relatives in Blaine.

As someone who lives in the northern suburbs, I would never consider choosing Maple Grove, Woodbury or any of the southern suburbs if you have relatives in this area. If you would someday need/want the relatives to help with childcare; the road gets pretty tedious after a while.

I know a family where the grandparents babysit the little ones while the parents work: problem is; Grandparents live in Roseville area and the couple lives/works in the St. Louis Park area. So the young mother drives the kids to Roseville every AM to drop them off, then drives back to her work and the dad drives over to Roseville every evening to pick the kids up and then back home again. That little 15 mile trip is now a 30 mile trip twice a day and is a major pain for them to do all of the time!
Not to mention gas prices! Yuck!

I am with those who recommend living near where you'll be most often.

When we were trying to figure out where to look at purchasing a home we used a Geographic midpoint calculator With Maps and found it somewhat helpful. You can only enter 2 places at a time, so we would play around with a constant (eg. my husband's work--5x/week) and a place we visit regularly but not as often (eg. my mom's house where we go at least 1x/week or the building we attend seminars 1x/week, etc) and based on these various midpoints we were able to rule out certain places of interest and develop new ones as well. Hopefully that helps a bit for you, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul