Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 PM
web

5 posts, read 16,978 times

Advertisements

Unless you are talking about 1st since it changed names. Roseville was not #1 store. Dt St paul was first U of M 2 or 3 DT minn 2 or 3

And my favorite original Edina on York (near mcdonalds and what was then Zantigo)not the one on Xerxes now(this used to be a goodyear tire and auto repair) was like #6 or so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 09:53 PM

630 posts, read 2,428,721 times
ummmmmm, don't you mean Riverdale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
We're 20 minutes from RiverPlace Shopping Center in Coon Rapids and 20 minutes to Arbor Lakes Shopping Center in Maple Grove.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:18 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,750,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Have been reading the many threads about where to live in the TC area. I'd be interested in hearing what people think about the "best burbs" to live in, i.e., areas with more interesting housing (not cookie cutter housing), older, established neighborhoods, and things to do besides shopping malls. Any burbs in the TC area with character and charm and affordability?

inner ring suburbs if you are looking for something thats older with more history to it. Of those, I like St Louis Park, Hopkins, Richfield, and Bloomington on the Minneapolis side.

Generally, any of the further out suburbs within the ring of the city tend to be too drab for me. What you describe as what you dont want unfortunately fits the profile of a lot of the suburbs here (established 50 years ago, most houses built recently, everything looks the same) boorrrrrring.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Smile Best Buy vs. Sound of Music 1st stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
According to Wikipedia the first Best Buy ever built was in Roseville but was originally called Sound of Music.
Actually, what Wikipedia indicates is the first BEST BUY superstore was in Burnsville(1983), but the the 1st SOUND of MUSIC store was, indeed, in St.Paul, not Roseville, started in 1966.

Ron

Last edited by ron kay; 03-29-2007 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 17,651 times
Default Hopkins

I would recommend Hopkins for anyone looking for a Minneapolis suburb without the cookie cutter feel. Hopkins has it's own main street and night life, the neighborhoods have been planned out nicely, with sidewalks and large yards, and each house having it's own character. It is also not as ridiculously priced as neighboring St. Louis Park. (yet) Also, if you have kids, Hopkins has great schools. Hopkins High school was the first in the State to receive the National Award of Excellence, and has been consistently in the top ten in the state for academics. I strongly recommend Hopkins for anyone looking for housing that appreciates older homes and neighborhoods that have character and flare.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

60 posts, read 190,789 times
no other suburb is more affordable and as safe as south st paul. some houses may be a little close together but you can find houses that have a over a lot and some great 4 bedroom homes built in the 20's. there is also newer homes too. you will want to look west of 6th ave and north of 494. the schools are good, they may not be as great as some others but with the thousands and thousands of dollars you save on a house you can easily afford private school and don't worry cause the schools aren't bad by any stretch of the imigination.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,546,804 times
I think SSP is Saint Paul's Hopkins. Two old blue-collar suburbs with nice housing stock. Hopkins has better schools and more amenities, but both are comfortable, safe, enjoyable places to live.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:45 PM

110 posts, read 261,006 times
I feel sorry for the guy who originally posted this message..he was looking for the best suburbs...South St. Paul???? South St. Paul used to be a blue collar town that has turned into a sore spot in St. Paul. If they had said West St. Paul..I could understand..west st. Paul is a very underrated city because it borders south st. Paul and the southside of St. Paul.

Looking for best suburbs..go westside West Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Maple Grove..all have ideally the same things one is looking for..shopping, schools, jobs, etc. Most underrated would be Richfield. There should be a revitalization happening soon..main areas look very '60's..businesses should start to reinvest in that area soon as their depreciation factors have exhausted..Plus is so centrally located to everything.

I like Roseville..the shopping mecca..but everything around it is crap as well. Though if you go further north like shoreview; arden hills..those are quaint and clean.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 AM

60 posts, read 190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferr0052 View Post
I feel sorry for the guy who originally posted this message..he was looking for the best suburbs...South St. Paul???? South St. Paul used to be a blue collar town that has turned into a sore spot in St. Paul. If they had said West St. Paul..I could understand..west st. Paul is a very underrated city because it borders south st. Paul and the southside of St. Paul.

Looking for best suburbs..go westside West Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Minnetonka, Maple Grove..all have ideally the same things one is looking for..shopping, schools, jobs, etc. Most underrated would be Richfield. There should be a revitalization happening soon..main areas look very '60's..businesses should start to reinvest in that area soon as their depreciation factors have exhausted..Plus is so centrally located to everything.

I like Roseville..the shopping mecca..but everything around it is crap as well. Though if you go further north like shoreview; arden hills..those are quaint and clean.
the first poster was looking for affordability, that is the reason i mentioned south st paul. i loved south st paul when i lived there and i had a lot of professional neighbors that were not blue collar. altough the folks that were blue collar were awesome. don't diss my old town homie, it is a great town with a lot of pride and a real neighborhood feeling. i absolutely loved SSP.

ok of that rant.....anyway richfield is a great choioce too, another affordable town without the cookie cutter feeling. eden prarie, minnetonka, and maple grove are far from affordable.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 AM

196 posts, read 919,304 times
depends on your definition of affordable... If you are coming from california, edina, eden priairie, etc. may look very affordable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul