Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:05 AM

7 posts, read 48,077 times

Advertisements

I live in Georgia now, but I'm going to be moving to Minneapolis soon to be with my girlfriend who lives there.

I was going to attend a technical college here and get a diploma in technology. However, plans have changed. I'm going to be moving there soon, and will be attending college there instead.

While doing a Google search I pulled up a few colleges, and noticed Dunwoody had a technology program.

Is there a good school? Does anyone know of any other colleges in the MPLS area that offers some sort of technology program? Being on a bus route isn't a problem since I have transportation.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM

200 posts, read 600,560 times
Dunwoody seems to be a good place to go to school; I haven't heard anything bad about it, but it's a private college and I'm assuming it is more expensive than many other places you could go to. I looked on Dunwoody's website and couldn't find any tuition information, so I couldn't really tell you how much it would be. I find it suspicious that they have deliberately left off this information on their website.

I don't know what sort of "technology" you are interested in learning, but you can probably learn the same thing elsewhere at a lower cost and still get a good education. I'm enrolled in a certificate program at Saint Paul College and I am generally happy with it. You may want to look into that. I also suggest checking out Minneapolis Community and Technical College as well. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 48,077 times
Oh thanks for pointing out that they're a private college. I didn't realize that on my first glance over the site. Something not expensive would be ideal.. I'm going to use the Pell grant to pay for as much as possible.

I'm mainly looking into electronics technology. I was going to take a diploma program here for electronics focusing on telecommunications, and then take a few more classes to get the focus on computer electronics as well. The telecommunications part was just to try and get a decent job when I'm done. So something along those lines there would be good.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:07 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
I can't imagine that Dunwoody would be too expensive, and I'm sure they offer a lot of financial aid to their students either way. To respond to your original post, however, they are considered a very good technical school.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:39 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Dunwoody is private in the sense that it does not have ties to the state; i.e. it is essentially a vocational school that offers two year degrees, but unlike other vocational schools it is not a community college. Hence, why it is private. Dunwoody has a good reputation nationally and the few people that I know that went there really liked it.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,503 times
Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis is a Private School - but it is also NON-PROFIT - it has a LONG history [nearly a century] of providing the BEST in technical trainiing in Minnesota. Generous Financial Aid Programs are provided by loyal alumni and trust funding. The school has a high level of integrity. It is regionally accredited, which is the type of accredidation you should look for in any school you attend.

That being said, for a technology degree, Century College - a two-year private college and technical school - offers state-of-the art technology training and is well respected amongst employers. Stay away from the for-profit private schools, and from public schools where technology is not their stand-out program.

Make sure the latest best practices are being taught in this quickly changing field - I attended St. Paul College for one semester, taking I.T. courses, and was appalled to figure out what we were required to learn was outdated by at least 2 years and, consequently, not relavent to the current market place.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Just avoid Brown College.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis is a Private School - but it is also NON-PROFIT - it has a LONG history [nearly a century] of providing the BEST in technical trainiing in Minnesota. Generous Financial Aid Programs are provided by loyal alumni and trust funding. The school has a high level of integrity. It is regionally accredited, which is the type of accredidation you should look for in any school you attend.

That being said, for a technology degree, Century College - a two-year private college and technical school - offers state-of-the art technology training and is well respected amongst employers. Stay away from the for-profit private schools, and from public schools where technology is not their stand-out program.

Make sure the latest best practices are being taught in this quickly changing field - I attended St. Paul College for one semester, taking I.T. courses, and was appalled to figure out what we were required to learn was outdated by at least 2 years and, consequently, not relavent to the current market place.
I agree with everything said in this post- although I don't think Century's a private college(?). I'm pretty sure they're part of the MNSCU system which should make them public (and I should know, a while back I earned several healthcare-related certificates from Century but all were employer-paid and taken offsite so there wasn't too much interaction with the college itself).

Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Check out Hennepin Technical College, it has been around quite awhile and has a campus in the Southern and Northern metro. It has many degree programs and has a great reputation at least within my initial field of HVAC/Commercial Facilities Maintenance. In that same field, my impression from some of my business contacts and graduates is that Dunwoody is slow to keep pace with the newer technologies. Some of these contacts have attended both schools. In "general" if I had two right-out-of-school candidates before me for the same position with similar attributes, I would hire the HTC candidate.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 AM

43 posts, read 204,921 times
Dunwoody is very expensive. Family member of mine owes over $30,000 for a two year degree. Same degree would have cost under $10,000 at Hennepin and Anoka technical college. But he would have to wait two years to get into those programs since it was when construction was still hot. Once you get into the union as an electrician, it doesnt matter where you went to school, so yea he thinks it was a big waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul