Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,257 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I just moved to Minneapolis about 2 months ago and I have some friends coming up here in a couple weeks to go out. What are some good bars in the area?? I don't really know the area all that well, so I kind of want to be in an area with multiple bars. Any tips for the first time out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 184,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndan View Post
Hey everyone! I just moved to Minneapolis about 2 months ago and I have some friends coming up here in a couple weeks to go out. What are some good bars in the area?? I don't really know the area all that well, so I kind of want to be in an area with multiple bars. Any tips for the first time out??
I really think the answer to this may depend on your age. I will assume you are younger 21-28, in which case, you should go to the Warehouse district in Downtown MPLS. It is the area right by the Target Center. Go down to 5th St N and 1st Ave N and you'll be right where you need to be.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,257 times
Yes, all of us are between the ages of 21-25.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
The obvious choices are block E in downtown Minneapolis as mentioned above and uptown (bars surrounding Hennepin and Lake). However, I personally have grown tired of the pretentiousness and phonyness. These days I prefer just going out to put down a few in an interesting ambient and meet some interesting people. Lately I've been into the bars in Cedar Riverside like 400 bar, Nomad World Pub, Triple Rock, and my personal favorite, Palmer bar. The highlight of my latest two outings to this area is that the bartenders have been more intoxicated than the customers. If you're looking for an alternative to the explosion of sexual awkwardness that is block E, check out the Cedar-Riverside area.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 07-22-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
...Triple Rock, and my personal favorite, Palmer bar.
Trip Rock was better back when it was still a punk rock bar. And by punk rock I mean real punk rock, not MTV punk rock. Palmer's is a cool place to go, one of the only bars in the TC in which you can get completely housed on less then ten bucks, but the place is shady and if anyone was going to get stabbed in a MPLS bar, then this would be the place.

Further down Cedar is Bullwinkle's and Granny's. Both are haunts for college kids, so it can either be real annoying, or fun because of it.

Block E is a waste of time.

The Warehouse district, like Seven Corners (Bullwinkle's and Granny's) can either be real fun or real annoying, depending on what type of crowd you like to associate with.

Uptown is the same, although the Uptowner bar is a cool spot. And Sunday brunch at the Independent is worth it (although I prefer the Sunday brunch at Old Mexico in Roseville).

Lyndale is cool. Starting on Lyn and Franklin with Mort's-Gringo's, Rudolph's and the Red Dragon; then going down to the Bulldog, CC Club and maybe even further down to Herkimer and the Country Bar.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Lyndale is cool. Starting on Lyn and Franklin with Mort's-Gringo's, Rudolph's and the Red Dragon; then going down to the Bulldog, CC Club and maybe even further down to Herkimer and the Country Bar.
Agreed, this is another underrated area for bars.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM

62 posts, read 290,216 times
Is Country Bar still there? God, that was a great place.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:34 PM

24 posts, read 184,751 times
I also like Bulldog NE just across the river on Hennepin Ave. Uptown is OK near Lagoon St. and Hennepin.

Just for the record, my original post about the warehouse district was not meant to include Block E. Shout House, Applebees and Gameworks pretty much all remind me of something I could do locally. If your're going to go Downtown, go somewhere unique that you can only experience when you are "in the city".

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
^ I agree. Go to the locally owned places, not the chains.

The Warehouse District (to me) is the epicenter of nightclubs and bars. Uptown is a close second.

And I also concur that it depends on your tastes. There's nothing like 1st Avenue in downtown Mpls on a warm Friday or Saturday night. But if you don't like street crowds then maybe something like Myth in Maplewood is more to your liking.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM

93 posts, read 367,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndan View Post
I lived near Minneapolis for 23 years, I wasn't aware of any "nightlife"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul