Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

My son just got a job at Best Buy Corporate Headquarters, starting 9/8/08. I'm going to take him up for apartment hunting. Best Buy is located at 7601 Penn Avenue South, Richfield, Minnesota, 55423. He has an aquaintance that also works there. He indicated he has an appartment in Bloomington (France and 90th?) that is a 7 minute commute and no freeway.

So, a long winded way of asking for apartment complex suggestions. Is Bloomington a good place to start looking for a 1 bedroom apartment with an relatively easy commute to Best Buy (which I believe is located right off 494 and near where 494 and 35W intersect. Also, what apartment complex ammenities are critical in the area? Garage/covered parking?

Where do young (he'll be 23) single professionals seem to want to live?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
For the easiest commute stay west of 35W. France Ave area is fine. A garage is nice to have but not all that easy to come by unless he is willing to spend quite a bit on rent. What is his budget for an apartment? Usually apartment complexes in that area will at least have a parking lot so they don't have to worry about on-street parking. Bloomington is fairly suburban yet close enough to enough nightlife.

Where does he live now?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,875 times
Golfgal,

He's moving up from Iowa. He's from Urbandale and graduated from the University of Iowa. He enjoys golf, tennis, racquet ball, bowling, disc golf, fishing, video games, Iowa Hawkeyes, Green Bay Packers, and St. Louis Cardinals. The more or less typical 22/23 year old single white male professional college grad. The one person he knows from here that works at Best Buy is in apartments that are at about 90th and Frances I believe. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,054 times
Richfield is decent. I lived there for a few years.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM

305 posts, read 991,736 times
I know exactly where he is going to work cuz I work not too far from their. I think Bloomington is a great to live and they have many nice places for rent. I have lived here for 5 years and I love Bloomington. Their are several apartment by where he is going to work. He wont be disappointed. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times
There are some dodgy apartments in both Richfield and Bloomington. There are some huge sprawling complexes at 63rd and Lyndale and 76th or 77th and Penn that used to be known as "Century Court apartments" but have since been renamed that have a bad reputation (mostly management-related). Other areas that seem to have bad management or petty crime issues are around 63rd street in Richfield near the hub shopping center and many of the units along the Cedar and 494 strips, and I've read in a Bloomington forum there's a particularly bad complex on 86th street but I don't know where on 86th. Also rentals around the Mall of America are to be avoided, there seems to be a concentration of poorly managed complexes there. Even though both Richfield and east Bloomington are reasonably nice places to live, it pays to do due dilligence. Conversely, I haven't heard anything bad about the area around 66th and Penn even though that area is a bit dumpy and outdated, so the complexes in that part of Richfeld are probably OK so long as you do the appropriate research. The further west and south you go usually the better in so far as Bloomington.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For the easiest commute stay west of 35W.

Where does he live now?
How do you come up with this? Traffic going eastbound on 494 in the morning and westbound at night is some of the worst bumper to bumper traffic I've seen.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
How do you come up with this? Traffic going eastbound on 494 in the morning and westbound at night is some of the worst bumper to bumper traffic I've seen.

So you don't have to CROSS 35W--doesn't mean you have to drive on 494 but if you stay west of 35 you can take back roads.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So you don't have to CROSS 35W--doesn't mean you have to drive on 494 but if you stay west of 35 you can take back roads.
He'd be using 35W and/or 494 to get there from pretty much any non-local location. If he's east of 35W he'd be going against traffic so I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. Living east of 35W would be perfectly fine.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 08-04-2008 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,592 times
Its just generally a good idea not to take any side street that crosses 35W, its a traffic nightmare, or it has been for 66th and 76th streets. And with all the construction going on right now trying to cross it *anywhere* is problematic. When its not the 35W/62 construction delays there is some other, unrelated construction delay from Lake Street all the way south to at least 76th, and any route that *doesn't* have construction on that particular day is jammed from the commuters bottlenecked from the other crossings. MnDot just doesn't want anyone to go east to west or west to east in the south metro along a five mile stretch. I don't know why they do it that way, maybe the construction firms want to keep all their resources centralized so they can move them about easier.

Edit: For my previous post on apartment complexes, also avoid the former century-court complex on 76th and Lyndale. I don't know anything specific about it but its the same management (or was...mighta changed hands) and same age and history of maintainance and screening policys, etc. It might be good since I've never read anything bad about it, but since its two sister-complexes are ratholes I've read nasty stuff about and actually lived in once for a month then better safe than well, you know.

Last edited by Haver; 08-04-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul